Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Thompson

Cathy Thompson
 Del

I do not speak Norwegian so if anyone could please answer my questions, it would be appreciated.

My great grandfather is on the 1901 census in the UK and names himself as Charles Thompson born 1877 in Norway B.S.  He married in 1897 and names himself as Charles Thompson a Boatman and names his father as Thomas, occupation of father is Publican.  I have searched both Thomas and Charles on earlier census records in the UK without success.  He married and lived in Hull Yorkshire.  On the 1901 census he is an Iron Foundry Labourer.   I cannot find him on the 1911 census but his wife has a child to him in 1910 and names that child Charles Amiel Julius Thompson, this child adds to their family of 7 children already born.  I know that he died in 1914 in Hull.  

Can anyone find any birth for him in Norway and please explain what the B.S means after the country name of Norway. 

Kind regards

Cathy

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Welcome to the User's Forum!

Please note that you may sign in with a full name:

I would also advice you to fill in some more information in the title or heading - not only Thompson - but for instance: Information on my great grandfather Charles Thompson - born 1877 in Norway. 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

???

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XS92-D7J

Name: Charles Thompson
Event Type: Census
Event Date: 31 Mar 1901
Event Place: Leeds St Mary, Leeds, Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
County: Yorkshire (East Riding)
Civil Parish: Holy Trinity And St Mary
Ecclesiastical Parish: St Thomas
Sub-District: Myton
Registration District: Hull
Relationship to Head of Household: Head
Birth Year (Estimated): 1877
Birthplace: Norway B S
Schedule Type: 186
Page Number: 25

Household Role Sex Age Birthplace
Charles Thompson Head M 24 Norway B S
Mary Jane Thompson Wife F 21 Hull, Yorkshire
Mary Ethel Thompson Daughter F 3 Hull, Yorkshire

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi All.  Sorry I don't know how to edit the heading on this topic.  Could you please advise. 

Thank you Greta Flood.  I have this information already but was searching for Charles Thompson and his father Thomas Thompson births in Norway and where they possibly lived.  And does anyone know the meaning of BS after the word Norway, his place of birth.

Many thanks 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

3 minutter siden, Cathy skrev:

does anyone know the meaning of BS after the word Norway, his place of birth

I don't know but suggest: British subject.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Cathy,

we have so little to go on, here! Supplying links to sources, like Grethe did above, may sometimes prove useful since other users may see something you did not. Also, knowing the names of all the children may be useful since at least in Norway, the custom was to name after grandparents, so there may be clues in names.

Finally, I suggest you change your "display name", as Grethe already suggested, check out this link:

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/content/change-display-name

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Richard, I have now changed my display name but have no idea how to change the topic title right now but I'll keep searching on how to do that.  

Thank you for your help.  I do know that all the children of Charles Thompson but one, have English names taken after their mother's side of the family.  The only child who has a different name is the son born in 1910 again in Yorkshire.  His name is Charles Amiel Julius Thompson, so he is obviously named after his father but his father does not use any of the other two names given to this son, in his marriage or on the 1901.  Do you think his Grandfather could also be named Charles Amiel Julius?  I cannot find anything right now pertaining to his being born in Norway.  Least of all a father named Thomas who is a publican..........I mean, did they have publicans then? did they have pubs? mid/late 1800's?  The only one I did find was born Nebraska, age is correct on 1880 age 4, his father from Norway but first name K and mother Klara born ?Sweden? but then found a marriage for him in Nebraska 1899 naming those parents so feel it cannot be the correct family.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

30 minutter siden, Cathy Thompson skrev:

have no idea how to change the topic title right now but I'll keep searching on how to do that. 

Sorry, I don't know either. I know you can do it (yourself) within 24 hours after it was made, after that I think the administrators have to be involved, so it depends how imprtant it is.

No, the names did not give what I hoped they might (I was hoping that one of the girls might be named after Charles' mother). Yes it is quite possible that Charles (or Karl) was named after his grandfather.

Perhaps someone will come up with new ideas.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

If it is correct that Charles's father was called Thomas and was a publican, it ought to be possible to find him.

But publican is not readily translatable. Something ending in -vert or -vært? Something with vertshus- or værtshus-? Something with kro-??

Does anyone have other suggestions?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi everyone for your replies.  I hope someone can find Thomas the publican.  I'm presuming he was born around c1840-54.

Mariann, I have used that search engine many times but it is for UK only not for Norway.  I have all the information on the children of Charles Thompson and his wife Mary Jane Harland though.  They had 8 children all born in Hull Yorkshire. 

Many thanks to all. 

Cathy

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

På 8.7.2020 den 17.58, Torodd Kinn skrev:

If it is correct that Charles's father was called Thomas and was a publican, it ought to be possible to find him.

But publican is not readily translatable. Something ending in -vert or -vært? Something with vertshus- or værtshus-? Something with kro-??

Does anyone have other suggestions?

sjænk* (sjænkehus, sjænkevert)

kjælder* (kjældermand)

still no result.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Charles may very well be changed from Karl, Carl etc. And Thomas may be written Tomas, Tommas, Thomas.

There certainly were publicans at that time. I would think it meant bartender or "krovert", and may not even be correct, depending on who registered it.

Do you have the marriage certificate or registry? Or his exact birth date? (I assume not, since it is not given here)

I found some potential candidates, but have not researched them any further than that the names may match:

Karl Mikael, b.1876 father was a farmer though https://www.digitalarkivet.no/view/255/pd00000004046741

Karl Elias b.1878, father was a servant https://www.digitalarkivet.no/view/255/pd00000011821294

Carl b. 1877 has a mother with maiden name Thomassen https://www.digitalarkivet.no/view/255/pd00000000493341

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Cathy,

could you give the details of the other children of Charles and Mary Jane? It might help us on the way, and lead to adittional hints that will help you identify Charles in anothe record, whether in Norway or in the UK.

Also, since you know Charles died in Hull in 1914, do you have any death certificate or any further records on his death? There may be additional information there.

Endret av Per.H.Skaug
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Could this be the death registration index for your Charles Thompson https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2J3R-SDL

If so, maybe you ould use it to get a copy af the actual certificate (I have no idea where and how you would do that)

Name: Charles Thompson
Event Type: Death
Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration Year: 1914
Registration District: Hull
County: Yorkshire
Event Place: Hull, Yorkshire, England
Birth Year (Estimated): 1875
Volume: 9D
Affiliate Line Number: 76

Page: 347

Citing this Record
"England and Wales Death Registration Index 1837-2007," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2J3R-SDL : 31 December 2014), Charles Thompson, 1914; from "England & Wales Deaths, 1837-2006," database, findmypast (http://www.findmypast.com : 2012); citing Death, Hull, Yorkshire, England, General Register Office, Southport, England.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I would not be surprised if B. S. is short for Bergen Stift (An area that covers Southwest Norway from Sunnmøre in the North  and far South.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

1 time siden, Erik Lie skrev:

I would not be surprised if B. S. is short for Bergen Stift (An area that covers Southwest Norway from Sunnmøre in the North  and far South.

BS = Bergen Stift would not make sense in English. I have suggested before: British Subject i.e. he changed citizenship (Cathy: would The National Archives (https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/) have his application?, worth checking).

The 1901 census lists nationality of persons not born in GB: "foreign subject or F, or FS, or Alien, Norwegian Subject or  just Norwegian, or British Subject or BS or just British, several variations. See examples here for people born in Norway:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?q.birthLikePlace=Norway&f.collectionId=1888129&m.defaultFacets=on&m.queryRequireDefault=on&m.facetNestCollectionInCategory=on&count=20&offset=0

Endret av Richard Johan Natvig
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi to everyone who has tried to help with this Thompson post.  I have just typed up a very long post but lost it! 

Ok I don't have any certs only the information from one lady who is the daughter in law of Charles son also Charles born in 1910 in Hull.   She has a couple of certs and has divulged that information to me.  

On the only cns I can find with Charles Thompson is the 1901 he is living with his wife and daughter,  he is 24, wife Mary Jane nee Harland 21 and daughter Mary Ethel age 3, he is born Norway BS.   They went on to have another 7 children 2 of whom died. Charles and Mary Jane Harland marr in 1897 in Hull.  He states he is a boatman and his father is Thomas who is a publican.  Mary Jane and Charles are living together at their marriage.   I do believe that Charles died in the workhouse in Hull in 1914.  I also believe he had done 2 short prison sentences for stealing from a butchers.  They were in 1906 and 1910 or 1911. 

The children they were Mary Ethel 1898, Joseph 1902, Edith 1904, Albert Edward 1905,  Eva 1907, Mary Ann 1908 and Charles Aug 1910 born at 11 Paradise place Hull. 

On the 1911 I cannot find Charles senior b 1876 anywhere (possible he was in prison),  but found his wife  on her own and is living at 11 Paradise Place Hull naming herself by her maiden name, as Mary Jane Harland.  she states she is married and  has had 8 children and 2 have died but she has no children with her.   I know that all these children were taken and put into either orphanages or workhouses very shortly after young baby charles was born.  I cant find the children on the 1911.  They are not with Mary Janes family or anywhere that I can find.

I do know that charles junior ended up in and marrying in Essex and had his only child Bryan born in Yorkshire, I don't know why.  then they went back to Essex and thats where he lived til he died around the 1990s.  His son Bryan married twice once to Judith and had one son, I can't find either of these.  He then remarried and I found this lady and she had one son to him, but Bryan had already passed in 2018.   She said that Charles Junior born 1910 never spoke about his childhood at all.  Mary Jane Harland Thompson remarried in Q1 of 1914 to Robert Mullins and had a baby named Florence M Mullins 1915 and Mary Jane died I think same year or year after.  her husband Robert remarried  in 1918.  I found Florence living with an elderly couple on the 1939 and she is named as unable to work as is 'mental'. 

I know that Joseph and Albert Edward survived and after the orphanage were sent aged 11 and 9 to a stately home to work as farmhands and taking cattle to market etc, until they left there at 17 and joined the army, then married and had their own families.  They did find 2 sisters who had remained together to their old age, but didn't know anything about baby Charles.

I cannot find any more information on Charles born 1876 or his family. 

Thank you all again for your time in helping me.   Cathy

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Karianne, I did ask if she could share them with me but she didn't reply sadly.  But I have just joined the Essex archives online and they have Charles jnr marriage cert there, tried looking at it without purchasing but its still hard to read.  but young charles was definitely named charles amiel Julius Thompson it would seem, that much this lady did tell me.  and it looks like the same name for charles snr and says, I think,  deceased as he was in 1934 when that marriage took place if I have my dates correct.   I am in search of the 1st wife of Bryan though so hopefully will find her. 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I am sitting and reg. Bergen Politidistrikt Emigrantforbudsregister, there I come across this guy, Carl Torstensen Dahl, fra Hønefoss case 191/1911,(alias Charles Thomsen)

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

6 minutter siden, Rune Bergesen skrev:

I am sitting and reg. Bergen Politidistrikt Emigrantforbudsregister, there I come across this guy, Carl Torstensen Dahl, fra Hønefoss case 191/1911,(alias Charles Thomsen)

Link:

SAB, Bergen politidistrikt, J.a/J.ac/L0002: Emigrantforbudsregister, 1894-1920
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/db50002545600020

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider