Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Thompson

Cathy Thompson
 Del

HI Richard and thanks for you reply, could you tell me what year this was please and does it give any other information that I may not be able to read? ie., SAB, Bergen politidistrikt, J.a/J.ac/L0002: Emigrantforbudsregister

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

50 minutter siden, Cathy Thompson skrev:

HI Richard and thanks for you reply, could you tell me what year this was please and does it give any other information that I may not be able to read? ie., SAB, Bergen politidistrikt, J.a/J.ac/L0002: Emigrantforbudsregister

Rune Bergesen (above) came across the source, I merely supplied the link.

Emigrantforbudsregister = Emigration prohibition register.

As I understand it, this person was barred from leaving the country, at least for the time being. The year is 1911. If it is your man - not certain at all - , he must have been on a visit back to Norway.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you Rune Bergesen I'm sorry I didnt realise you had posted that. 

Hmmmm, well I really am not sure what to think now.  But I have made a note of the article and hopefully I will eventually find out.  Thank you again Richard.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I am afraid we are back to square one. Carl Torstensen Dahl alias Charles Thomsen can not be your Charles Thompson. The no. 191/11 refers to the following protocol

SAB, Bergen politidistrikt, J.a/J.ad/L0001: Emigrantforbudsprotokoll, 1911-1920

Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/db50002545700023

which has a few more details, for instance that he was wanted by the police in Hønefoss, but more importantly, his age: 50, which does not fit with your great grandfather.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

This probably does not thelp us finding (our) Charles Thompson, but it does indicate something that is important to keep in mind. Charles Thompson may not be Karl Tomasen or an equivalent Norwegian name, it may be Karl, Carl or Charles with a last name starting with a T followed by almost anything. Quite often Norwegian names were anglicized quite liberally when people emigrating abroad, so we may have to widen the search.

Another thing to bear in mind, is that as far as I know, the only indication we have for Charles' age is one single census. According to the census, he would have been 20 years old when he married in 1897. This may not have been correct, maybe he dropped a few years to appear to be of a similar age as his wife to be?

I think it will be important to find his death certificate in Hull in 1914, as this may give us more information, like his birth-date.

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Per is quite correct that the anglicized name can at times be quite different than the Norwegian name. In my family Høgeli a farm name became Hogeli, Hogelee and Hagelee. 

Tellef Tellefsen became Tom Tallackson. All of the changes did use the first initial of the Norwegian names and they did have  some resemblance to the Norwegian names. Unfortunately that is not always the case. Making the search significantly more difficult. 

Thompson or Tompson could be derived from Tollfesen, Tellefsen or even Tallackson.

Endret av Anton Hagelee
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you to those who have posted to me.  Sadly at this point in time, because of the covid19, I cannot order the death cert of Charles, to be honest I don't think that will give much information either as he died in the workhouse and from what I understand his 'wife' remarried in Q1 of 1914 so don't know they had split up or something in order for her to remarry before he died.  I will see if I can collect any more information from the original source and ask if she will send me the documents she has. 

Thank you all once more. 

Cathy

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Cathy,

there may be insufficient information in the British archives to conclusively identify your Charles Thompson. Have you considered asking any relatives (if any) that are male line descendants of Charles Thompson to take a Y-DNA test, or to take an autosomal DNA test yourself? That might identify the Norwegian roots of the family, and could help you narrow down candidates or even identify the right Charles.

there are starting to be a number of people in Norway that have taken a DNA test for genealogical purposes, so you may be lucky to find a clue that might not exist in the archives.

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider