Arkivverket

Lom 1773 Birth record

Ivar S. Ertesvåg

"Syver" to the right is the name of the child, in a separate column (i.e. not a withness)

" ...fad. Sølfest Blager

.... Anne Stamstad"

For sake of order: 1773 is the clerical year, starting 1st Sunday of Advent;

the civil date was 29 Nov 1772.

Thank you again Ivar.  I am curious what is the significance of the ÿ in Sÿver.  It seems to be disregarded regularly where the ø, å and æ are typically retained. 

Ivar S. Ertesvåg
3 timer siden, Ken Ogren skrev:

I am curious what is the significance of the ÿ in Sÿver.  It seems to be disregarded regularly where the ø, å and æ are typically retained. 

There is no significance in the dots (diaeresis, tréma) above y in Norwegian. They are entirely practical in handwriting, and not used in print.

In Latin-script handwriting (as most of the text these pages are; i.e. most names and words of Latin/French origin), including "Syver",

the dots above y helps the reader to distinguish y from some other letters, mainly g (can also be q, depending on the hand).

It was used in the same way in Nordic/Gotic-script handwriting (Nordic words, a few names* here), for the same reason, except that

then also v (in some hands) could be confused with y (if not marked).

Some writers used a dash, a hat (^) or a small arc over y to serve the same purpose.

A drawback was that, in some hands, ij could not be distinguished from y (ÿ).

It dates, at least, back to the 1500s.

Norwegian (Scandinavian) distinguishes between o and ø (historically, often written ö), between a and å (Old Norse: á; in Danish: aa; á is

also seen in the 17 and 1800s, before the å came into widespread usage ) and  e, a and æ. 

(Swedish uses ä for æ, but this is very rare in Norwegian). 

• Like 1

Fascinating, thank you so much for taking the time to explain this so thoroughly.  I really appreciate it.