Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Translation Norwegian to English

Jane Ramshaw
 Del

Hello Jane, welcome to the forum!

What document? Do you have a link (best) or a picture/high resolution scanning? PDF?

(Even if you have, – can't promise anything, but willing to give it a try.)

By the way, you need to change your username into your full name. According to forum rules. We are all without ‹avatars› here.

All the best

Endret av Even Stormoen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I also have a record, it is a baptismal record from 1888, for Lina (I believe the parents are Anna Thorine Pedersdatter & Kristen Johansen). She is the fourth girl listed on the bottom half (girls) of the page.  Here is the link:

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/5554/28507/47

I cannot read/translate the handwritten information.

Thank you

Mary Gilbert 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

7 Marts 1888 | 2 April |-| Lina | Brugsarb-datter Anne Torine Pedersdatter og Ungk. Sliberiarb. Kristen Johannessen | Han: Fægri(?) nu Folum i Norderhov. Hun: Skjærdalen | 1855 |1868 | Brugsarbk Jørgine Dal, Tjp. Lovise Johannesd Kinn, Arb. Andreas Dal, Arb. Peder Olsen Skjærdalen, Arb. Ole Pedersen ibd | uægte | v.(?) Barnemoderen Att 21-03-02 til (??) |

And the hard part – explanation/translation: Lina born March 7 1888, baptized April 2, born out of wedlock. Father: Kristen Johannessen working in a ‹grinding factory›, mother: workers daughter Anne Torine Pedersdatter. He is born in 1855 at Fægri(?) [uncertain], now living at Folum [Follum]. She is born in 1868 at Skjærdalen. Sponsors: Workers wife JD, maid LJK, worker AD, worker POS, worker OP. ibd – short for ibidem, latin for ‹same place›. Linas mother has reported the birth, and some certificate has been sent to someone [cant figure out who or what] on March 21 1902. The latter appearently being a later addition.

All the best

Endret av Even Stormoen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

21 timer siden, Jane skrev:

Is anyone willing to translate a double page of Norwegian from a document written about 1875 into English.
I do not speak Norwegian...sorry!

Jane

Don't be sorry for not speaking Norwegian. There are very few who does. On a world-wide basis 😉

Thanks to you Anne-Lise who provided a functional link, I have for now only tried to ‹decipher› the first page. Very uncomplete.

Grateful if anyone would look into this, correct and fill inn. Bjarne?

Here:

01    Christopher Torkildsen Valstad
02    er efter eget opgivende født i Odalen den 5 April 1827 af Forældrenne Tøm-
03    mermand Torkild Schjønnesen Valstad og Hustru Kari Christophersdatter,
04    døbt sammesteds, men konfirmeret her i Byen. Gift med Sofie Marie
05    Olsdatter, 7(?) Børn. Mekanikus. Hjem(?) Bergen(?)
06    Ved Chr. Byretsdom af 4 December 1874 er han for 1 Gangs Tyverie
07    ilagt Fængsel paa Vand og Brød i 10 Dage (Tyveri af 1 Bonjour, 1 Vest
08    1 Vaarfrak fra et Værelse i N 22 i Rødfyldgaden).
09    Ved Christiansands Bythingsdom af 17 April 1875 er han for 2 Gangs
10    Tyveri ilagt lignende Fængsel i 20 Dage (Tyveri af et Filleteppe(?) og 1 Skjorte
11    fra et Aabent Portrum i Christiansand)
12    Ved Høiesteretsdom af 3 Juli 1875 er han nu for 3 Gangs Tyveri
13    ilagt 2 Aars Strafarbeide (??) Xania.
14    Tiltalte der ankom hid til Byen den 17 Mai sidstleden og som
15    den 19 f.M. fik Arbeide ved D??fabrikken med en Dagløn af
16    100s, har erkjendt, at han den 21de f.M. benyttede Anledningen
17    da han blev sendt fra Fabrikken til Onsums Bod i Nygaden for at
18    hente en Stang med Jern, til sammesteds at stjele en til 1 1/2 Spd
19    værdsat Økse, der laa paa en Hylde i Boden, og hvormed han kort
20    efter blev anholdt paa Lilletorvet, idet han fallbød Øxen til Salg.
21    Den 8 Juli indkom han i Fængselet med Inspectionens
22    Samtykke paa 1 Aar og 4 Maaneder.
23    x) Paa løsladelsesdagen erklærede han at han ikke kunde gaae herfra paa Grund
24    af Ondt i Ryggen og andetsteds, men Lægen som undersøgte ham i Aarsaken, havde Intet(?) at bemærke
25    ved hans Helbredsforfatning. Saa bleg ud, men bleg Ansiktsfarve har han alltid havt, ligesom det naturligvis
26    ikke frisker opp at sidde paa Vand og Brød. Vilde han til Bergen, skulde han (??) (??)  /at Dampbaad skulde afgaa / hen-
27    vende sig til mig. 26/11 76 kom han løbende(?) af b. Skib(?) og bad om at blive hjulpen ind paa et Sygehus. Jeg har siden ikke seet ham.
28    Bergens Politiembede bad rekvirered Actum i Telegram af 4 Juli
29    1877. Actum sendt 4/7. 14 Juli 1877 indsattes han i Bergens Tugthus paa 2 Aar og 6 Maaneder for Tyveri ifølge Bergens Bythings Dom af 11 Juli     sidstl.

Mvh

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

1 time siden, Mary Gilbert skrev:

I also have a record, it is a baptismal record from 1888, for Lina (I believe the parents are Anna Thorine Pedersdatter & Kristen Johansen). She is the fourth girl listed on the bottom half (girls) of the page.  Here is the link:

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/5554/28507/47

I cannot read/translate the handwritten information.

Thank you

Mary Gilbert 

Oops, I noticed much too late that this was not a posting by ‹Jane›.

Welcome to the forum Mary!

But it is always a good idea to start your own thread here, instead of ‹inserting› your question into other topics. Makes it more ‹tidy›, and easier for helpers to – well, help 🙂 And to stay on topic, literally.

Jane: I'm also taking this opportunity to remind you to change your username.

All the best

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Mvh

Thank you so much ,I await any more details.I shall change my name to a full name ,Im not too savvy on Tech stuff so sorry that was my mistake.Going on a Norwegian forum is challenging for me a non Norwegian speaker!I didn't expect any replies.

im very grateful for help from anyone.I presumed this was some social document relating to the named person in prison .My great great great grandfather who I only recently discovered existed.I find it all very exciting!!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you so much.  I think that I found Lina with Kristen in the 1900 Norwegian Census for Norderhov, but it shows Kristen's DOB as 1857. Could it still be the same people?

1900 NORWAY Census Solie-Lena Kristensen see WORD doc translation.jpg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hello Jane Ramshaw! And welcome again. As yourself 🙂

Thank you for changing the username.

I fully understand your difficulties ‹navigating› in a Norwegian forum. And sorry for the nagging, it's just a fact that we are very strict here concerning usernames, and I just wanted to warn you before you got ‹assaulted› by a bunch of my ‹colleagues› and got scared off 😉 NO! we don't do that! Just trying to be funny.

Anyway: I have transcribed the first page of your document [from handwriting into modern typing] and awaits help/correction from other members here to solve the words/sentences that I couldn't get a grip on. So be patient. Once I get a more complete ‹version› I'll let you know, and will try to translate/explain.

BTW. I think there is an English version of Digitalarkivet available, somewhere in the ‹Jungle of Links›. I'll try to find it, and get back to you.

EDIT: Found it! Here

All the best

Endret av Even Stormoen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

57 minutter siden, Mary Gilbert skrev:

I wasn't sure how to start my own thread...sorry

Mary, don't be!

By all means, you are a ‹freshman› (Bad word in these times, but could'nt find a female equivalent) [EDIT: maybe «Newbee»? – or Newcomer? Gender neutral?] in this forum. And it's in Norwegian. But I just found the link to the English version of Digitalarkivet – Digital Archives. I have regrettably been unaware of it until now, when I tried to assist Jane. Hope it helps.

All the best

Endret av Even Stormoen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

1 time siden, Mary Gilbert skrev:

Thank you so much.  I think that I found Lina with Kristen in the 1900 Norwegian Census for Norderhov, but it shows Kristen's DOB as 1857. Could it still be the same people?

The dates (especially births) were often approximate in the censuses. So deviating by just one year – I would say they are the same people. But important: check the baptisms of the other children. Do they have the same parents? (especially the mother, who appears to be dead at the time of the census), and do they perhaps share some of Lenas sponsors?

By the way, I must say that the entry is a bit confusing. Kristen Johannesen works at a ‹tree grinding factory› Sorry, can not provide a better translation. He's got a housekeeper Marie Sørensen, and five children. Three of them, Lena, Johannes and Anne,  have ‹correct› patronymics (Kristensen). But the last two are Sofie Karlsen and Emil Eriksen. As far as I can see they are all from Hole, Ringerike. Weird. Foster children?

All the best

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

10 timer siden, Even Stormoen skrev:

By the way, I must say that the entry is a bit confusing. Kristen Johannesen works at a ‹tree grinding factory› Sorry, can not provide a better translation.

"Træsliberi" (tresliperi) is a pulp mill. "Sliperi-arbeider": pulp mill worker.

In most cases, the pulp mill is a part of a paper mill, or located adjacent to one. Thus, the pulp mill worker may also be said to be a paper mill worker.

And right... it is a factory that, literally, grinds wood into pulp, known as mechanical pulping (as opposite to chemical pulping where the wood is dissolved by boiling with chemicals) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulp_(paper)

Kristen was probably working here:  https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norske_Skog_Follum

Endret av Ivar S. Ertesvåg
  • Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider