Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Niels Hansen Olesrud and family

David Arvidson
 Del

I am trying to verify some information and get some new information.

I believe that in 1862, Niels Hansen (Olesrud) and his family left Tinn for America, https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/1370/189 , see side 34 people # 5 - #9.

I have found information on other sites that indicate that Lars became Lars Nelson and he moved to WI and then Iowa and died in 1923.  Other sites show that his sister, Margit, became Margaret Nelson and married Jacob Omenson in Leland, IL.  The sites show that that Margaret and Jacob then moved to Nebraska.  Based on birthdates in the Norway data and in the U.S. census data, I think the information about their identities in the U.S.A. is correct.

I cannot find any information to indicate what became of Niels, Aasne, or Hans.  Some sites indicate that Aasne died in 1870 and that Niels died in 1880 in Kendall, IL, but I cannot find any hard documentation to support this.  I cannot find anything about Hans.

I checked the Arkivverket data, but I cannot find anything to show that all five people actually left Norway.  I cannot find if/when they arrived in Canada or the U.S.A.  My guess is that they might have gone to Leland, IL, as other distant relatives went there, but I cannot find anything to support that.

Do you have any information that might help me?

Thank you.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

1 hour ago, David Arvidson said:

My guess is that they might have gone to Leland, IL, as other distant relatives went there, but I cannot find anything to support that.

Probably a good guess, as Margit was married in La Salle, County Illinois. 

Margaret Nelson

in the Illinois, Marriage Index, 1860-1920

Name:Margaret Nelson

Marriage Date:30 Dec 1865

Marriage Place:La Salle, Illinois, USA

Spouse Name:Jacob H Omenson

Spouse Gender:Male

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

This is a bit more of a guess than the marriage of Margit. According to the marriage record Niels Hansen was born about 1805 and his wife Aasne Larsdatter was born about 1804. 

Niels Hansen

in the Norway, Select Marriages, 1660-1926

Name:Niels Hansen

Birth Date:1805

Marriage Date:22 apr 1827

Marriage Place:Hovin, Telemark, Norway

Spouse:Aasne Larsdr

FHL Film Number:126937

Reference ID:2:1SZ0N1B

Nr. 2, farm for Niels is Rui. 

There is a Nelse R Nelson and wife Anna living in La Salle County in the 1870 Census. Birth year is good for Anna as Aasne but off by some 10 to 12 years for Niels. I did not find any other good candidates in La Salle County in the 1870 Census. 

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M64B-G8Y

Could the R be for the farm Rui?

The residence for Niels and Aasne is listed as Olesrud under Rui for the baptism record for Lars 

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/255/pd00000010775542

Endret av Anton Hagelee
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 måneder senere...

I believe that Hans is Hans H Hansen born Dec 20, 1845 in Norway.  At age 14, he went to LaSalle, Illinois.  He later spent time in Tennessee and Kansas and died near Lyons, Nebraska Dec 31, 1920.  In 1973, he married Rosina Schneider.  3 of 8 children survived including Elwood H Hansen of Texarkana, Arkansas.  In his Norwegian birth record, his father is Nils H Olesrud.  Hans is the father of Elwood R Hansen who was my great Aunt’s father-in-law.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider