Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Origin of information

Frank McGuire
 Del

I have found a record in Oslo Domkirke/Var Freisers 1901-1919 page 221, of the death  on 25/7/1914 in Australia of Christopher Tudor. It also gives his date of birth in Kristiania as 25/7/1833. The death record is correct, but I have been unable to find his birth date previously and there is no record of any births in Oslo on 25/7/1833.   I believe he changed his name when he arrived in Australia illegally (he jumped ship)  

Can anyone tell me where this record would have been obtained, as it is clearly not a Norway church record, and is there any way of checking the source?

Regards

Frank McGuire

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Unfortunately, not all church records for Oslo/Kristiania are transcribed yet, so that may be the reason for not finding him. To find Christopher's birth, you can peruse all the available scanned records, but an alternative method is to find him using familysearch.org. They actually did the early work of scanning the norwegian church records, and as far as I know, they have transcribed most of them. If you find his birth record there, you can use their references to the original files, to find the correct parish where he was christened, in Oslo. You should always double-check info from secondary sources against the scanned original church records.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

14 timer siden, Frank McGuire skrev:

I have found a record in Oslo Domkirke/Var Freisers 1901-1919 page 221, of the death  on 25/7/1914 in Australia of Christopher Tudor. It also gives his date of birth in Kristiania as 25/7/1833. The death record is correct, but I have been unable to find his birth date previously and there is no record of any births in Oslo on 25/7/1833.   I believe he changed his name when he arrived in Australia illegally (he jumped ship)  

Can anyone tell me where this record would have been obtained, as it is clearly not a Norway church record, and is there any way of checking the source?

This is a bit unclear. You refer to this page: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20060515040218

but there is no Christopher.  May be this is your problem?

What more do you know? Are the death and birth dates (but years) the same? Or is this a mistake, either in noting from sources or in the death record?

Do you have other sources for name and dates?

Do you believe he changed surname (to Tudor)? What about first name?  Do you know any name of the father or mother?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Your notes are slightly incorrect; should be page 224: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20060515040221

The birth date is here noted as 26/11 1833, the place is just "Kristiania" (which had several parishes in 1833)

The vicar has received the information form the "byfogd" 14/1 1916. There is probably a letter in the vicar's archive, and a copy in the "Byfogd"'s archive.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I would guess that the letter received from the "byfogd", just tell about Christopher's death, not his date of birth. The reason for Oslo Domkirke registering his death, is according to this information from oslodomkirke.no:

Sitat

Oslo Cathedral — formerly Our Savior's Church — is the main church for the Church of Norway Diocese of Oslo, as well as the parish church for downtown Oslo.

They used Oslo Domkirke for services related to people without known parish affiliation. (he could of course be christened there as well!)

Endret av Olaf Larsen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

There might be a file at "Riksarkivet" with letter(s) from Norwegian consulate in Australia regarding his death.

Try send mail to riksarkivet@arkivverket.no

My great grandfather jumped ship i Cape Town and died in Durban 12 years later. Due to ucertainty about who he was and where he came from in Norway, it took 3 years to identify him and his file contained about 100 documents and letters!!!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thankyou for the replies.

Sorry about the page number, which was correct on my system, but others seem to get different results.

I will try the email address suggested to start with.

The death details are certainly correct. According to his death record, his headstone and newspapers obituaries, he was 81 when he died in July 1914 and was born in 1833. This was information from his son. That would mean he would have been born between january and June 1833, and couldnt have been born in November 1833 as per the Oslo record.

He gave his father's name as Christopher and mother's name as Elisabeth. As far as i know, he never tried to contact family in Norway.  Just to add to the confusion, in several records of his children's birth he gave his place of birth as Christiania, and in several he said Arendal. In his naturalisation application in 1887, he started to write Ch, crossed it out and wrote Arandel.  Could it have been Arnadal, that i understand is sometimes named Arendal?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I have also tried searching with familysearch, without success so far.

i have also found several families in USA with whom I (and soem other Australian descendants) have DNA matches with families in Norway. but so far have been unable to identify someone in their families who could be Christopher.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 3 uker senere...

I have emailed to Arkivverket and they have replied that they searched a letter journal for Olso domkirke for the period for the Jan 2016 letter from the Town Bayliff, without success and that the Town Bayliff’s records for the period are not preserved.  I have now also emailed the Catherdral to ask if they might have the letter that was sent to them from Australia.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider