Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Soldier Uniforms Question (1890-1905) ???

Murray Rystead
 Del

Hello,

Does anybody know or have any information about what the difference would be between the light blue uniforms and the dark blue uniforms for the Norwegian army during 1890 to 1905? 

The first photo would be the light blue one (Private)

second photo the dark uniform (I'm guessing it's a Private also)

third photo shows both the light and dark together.  (the guy on the left is my great uncle & the guy on the right is my great grandpa)

I know they both joined the regular army as Privates (Menig) , one on 1899 and the other on 1901. They would have joined the Kristiansand Infantry Brigade  , 16 Company.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. 

There is not much info on the internet that i could find regarding this topic. I live in Canada and not much about norwegian culture and history is accessible here which is very annoying. 

Thanks

light blue soldier.JPG

dark unifrom.JPG

olavbrosarmy.jpg

Endret av Murray Rystead
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• Murray Rystead changed the title to Soldier Uniforms Question (1890-1905) ???

I've found other photos that look just like the soldier in the first photo but everything on his uniform is dark. 
Is the change in color, rank? or is it more so that the army just had various colours with no apparent difference in role?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thanks Allan, I took a look ..... seems to me that the lighter version of the uniform is a 1888 model , but I'm still not clear regarding the dark one.
Maybe it's just another model? Possibly the 1877 model? Was it normal for the army to have their soldiers to wear different model versions of the uniform simultaneously.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

image.thumb.png.0a8b364393133f981d2477086cceac9b.png

So like in this picture....there would be no real difference in ranks solely based on the colours of their uniforms? 
The only way to know for sure the ranks would be based off of the markings on their soldiers? I think two lines would represent a Korporal.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 3 måneder senere...
På 1.12.2020 den 7.08, Murray Rystead skrev:

image.thumb.png.0a8b364393133f981d2477086cceac9b.png

So like in this picture....there would be no real difference in ranks solely based on the colours of their uniforms? 
The only way to know for sure the ranks would be based off of the markings on their soldiers? I think two lines would represent a Korporal.

Not a sabre; rather a bayonet, introduced abt. 1884 to the then new army rifle, Jarmann, used until 1894 and/or a few years more, substituted with the Krag Jørgensen rifle in 1894.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hey John,

Near the top of this post, there's a photo of my great grandpa in a dark uniform and his brother in a light uniform. They both served for the Norwegian military. Infantry. My understanding is that the light and dark uniform are different models. Not that one is serving with Norway and the other brother with Sweden. In the linen record it said nothing of Sweden from what I could see. 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider