Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Read text for Barbara Olsen

Merle Nostbakken
 Del

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070927610020

Please read the text for Barbara on the left-hand page, 13th row, daughter of Ole Povelsen and Brynnil Nielsdtr. What is the meaning of the word after her name -- Hang?  I notice that the father's name: Povelsen, has a different spelling than for the brother, Jens Olsen born 1795. An error, or a change in spelling?

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070927610013

Jens is the first row, right hand column. I notice that Kari Jensdtr is sponsor for both children.

Takk.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

"Barbara Wang".  Vang is a farm (in 1886) in Sakshaug sokn, Innerøy prestegjeld. (Rostad, also in Sakshaug, is 2-3 km from Vang)

"Ole Poulsen" vs. "Povelsen". 

The name, originally latin Paulus, comes in quite a few versions.

The Norwegian spoken versions were Pol, Pål or Paul  (with Norwegian wowels).

This is then 1700s , and the Danish written versions were Povel or Poul.

• Liker 2
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

5 minutter siden, Ivar S. Ertesvåg skrev:

"Barbara Wang".  Vang is a farm (in 1886) in Sakshaug sokn, Innerøy prestegjeld. (Rostad, also in Sakshaug, is 2-3 km from Vang)

"Ole Poulsen" vs. "Povelsen". 

The name, originally latin Paulus, comes in quite a few versions.

The Norwegian spoken versions were Pol, Pål or Paul  (with Norwegian wowels).

This is then 1700s , and the Danish written versions were Povel or Poul.

I was pondering right now over an answer, but can safely "lay down my sword and shield" 😉😉

Ivar, «You're good you!» 😉

Regards

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Oh, what the heck, I'll throw my two or five cents into the pond anyhow:

I think Barbara Wang is the name of the child in the first entry. Vang is a common farmname throughout Norway. Meaning something like ‹broad field› (do not rely on me for the translation : )

Why attatching the farmname to the child? I don’t know, but seems to have been the vicars ‹practice› or habit – if you like.

All the children are listed with their ‹farmnames› – their parents not. A way of saving space? Maybe.

Nevertheless it makes it a lot easier for who-it-might-concern to browse through the records spotting firstnames and farmnames in one ‹sweep› just by scrutinising that one column. So – rather cunning, I’d say.

Reg

Endret av Even Stormoen
  • Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

1 hour ago, Ivar S. Ertesvåg said:

Mange takk. Nice that everyone agrees! It's wonderful to get such complete responses.

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Sorry, that should have read, " Merle Nostbakken said". Another point: where can I go to get an email address for whoever is selling the Ytterøy farm books? I have been looking with no success.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Merle

I’m sure Ivar will forgive you 😉

But –

Maybe I am rather ‹slow›, or/and haven’t paid enough attention in this thread – but which «Ytterøy farm» are you referring to? There are an abundance of farms/places in Norway bearing that name.

I probably should be ashamed, asking this question.

Reg

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

No, I am the one who is ashamed! I really am hunting in the dark: I know that Jens Rostad (born 1795) was born in the Ytterøy prestegjeld, Inderøy sogn (ministerial book 730A02 1762-1802), and I have found his sister, Barbara there and his parents there, also. So I guess I am looking for the book that covers the places where those individuals lived.

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

1 hour ago, Merle Nostbakken said:

Another point: where can I go to get an email address for whoever is selling the Ytterøy farm books? I have been looking with no success.

Ytterøy : heim og folk : gårds- og slektshistorie. B. 1. Bind 1
Åshild Bjørgum Øwre
Bok · Bokmål · 2015 · Bygdebøker(HUME01068)

One thing is to find someone that sells it another is the shipping cost overseas.

I know the library at Levanger sell the Levanger and Skogn book, maybe they sell the Ytterøy book as well.

E-post: biblioteket@levanger.kommune.no

If they do not sell it maybe they can guide you further.

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

3 minutes ago, Merle Nostbakken said:

Jens Rostad (born 1795) was born in the Ytterøy prestegjeld, Inderøy sogn

Inderøy is it own parish with 3 parts Sakshaug, Røra and Sandvollan. Ytterøy is a serperate parish with its own churchbooks.

Jens is born in Inderøy when the family lived at the Rostad farm. 

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Merie her is map of the area: 

Rostad is at the mark, the several Wang farm are located the Right where the Ut of the name Utøya is. You see part of Ytterøy in the bottom. And in the 1801 census they lived at Wigen. (I placed a cut from the census on a different tread. Wigen if located to the right between Hø and cross to the furthest right side of the map.

Inderøy has published a new series of bygdabooks for a few years ago, but none of this time period is covered there.

image.thumb.png.7b4cf29f6ef789316c1e0208e22dedf5.png

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I think you will be able to print from this web page, at least take screen shot for printing.

Norgeskart

https://www.norgeskart.no/#!?project=norgeskart&layers=1002&zoom=10&lat=7085448.04&lon=308499.58&markerLat=7085673.803362553&markerLon=311303.701864217&panel=searchOptionsPanel&sok=rostad, inderø

Rostad is a big farm in Norwegian scale, a former prime minister of Norway was born and is burried at a private grave site there. 

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

A small correction, I am not so well known at that side of the parish. I placed the farm Wigen slightly wrong, the name is Vika today. It was on the other side of Hø 

https://www.norgeskart.no/#!?project=norgeskart&layers=1002&zoom=12&lat=7085946.36&lon=318720.40&markerLat=7085757.6249474725&markerLon=319122.6416770416&panel=searchOptionsPanel&sok=Vika

image.png.d195d13e9ca9ca7fc7ab2c3a529f4326.png

Endret av Oddgeir Fossli
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Mange takk. Got both maps printed out after saving them to my desktop.

You and everyone else has been so helpful in my search.

Now, just one more thing: could I have an exact, direct translation of the trolovede for Ole Poverlssen and Brynel Nielsdatter?

Takk

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

1 time siden, Merle Nostbakken skrev:

Now, just one more thing: could I have an exact, direct translation of the trolovede for Ole Poverlssen and Brynel

Lost in the long thread – the link for this? It might be ‹above› but too tired to look it up.

Until tomorrow, and multiple kudos to Oddgeir! Formidable resarch.

Regards and good night.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

1 hour ago, Even Stormoen said:

Lost in the long thread – the link for this? It might be ‹above› but too tired to look it up

Even, It became several postings here, as I am at home ground geographically. Inderøy is my birth commune.

So i guess it became a little more than just transcribing help. 🙂

Here is the link to thread asking for a translation and were I placed the translated transcription.

Endret av Oddgeir Fossli
  • Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

On 3/12/2021 at 9:56 PM, Merle Nostbakken said:

the Ytterøy farm books

I checked the hard copy. Bind 1 of Ytterøy bygdabook covers up to about 1800.

As I understand your ancestors came to Ytterøy later than that.

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

As far as I can tell at this point (I am not finished researching the father of Jens Olsen Rostad), Ole Povelsen and his ancestors must have lived in Nord-Trondelag prior to the birth of Jens Olsen Rostad and the sibling, Barbara, and then moved to the Vår Frue area since that was where Jens Olsen was married. it is indicated on his marriage record that he was born in Inderøy but now was in Trondheim. I think the father of Jens was Ole Povelsen who was born in 1766 when living at Roske Inderø parish. Parents were Povel Olsen and Gurru Amundsdatter

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider