Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Trial accounts in newspapers of 1912 [Trialkontoer i Aviser av 1912)

Fred Boogerd
 Del

I would like to start a second topic about Jacob Brester. After his first stay in Norway (1908-1910) he apparently sailed again in 1912 with his two-master to Kristiania. Then, at the beginning of July 1912, according to Brester a horrible accident happened while sailing on the Skagerak: his wife and a Norwegian sailor (name unknown) both drowned. However, I have not been able to find anywhere whether these two bodies were ever recovered. There was a court case ashore in Kristiania. Unfortunately, the Arkivverket staff could not find any official document about this trial in the National Archives. Thanks to Kenneth Juel Stavik I received, in response to my first topic, two newspaper articles about this tragedy. But perhaps more is known and therefore I would like to ask the forum members if they know of any other reports about this trial that were published in the Norwegian newspapers in 1912. Thank you in advance for your help.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

A general search in Norwegian newspapers for "Brester" from June until December 1912 gives 81 hits in total. Many of these are most likely the same articles repeted in different newspapers around the country and some of the hits are probably not related to your topic at all.

https://www.nb.no/search?q="Brester"&mediatype=aviser&sort=dateasc&fromDate=19120621&toDate=19121231

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

There is useful information in the first topic.

The name of the Danish fisherman who drowned along Brester’s wife on June 28, 1912, was Frits Larsen Rask.

Brester had sued the insurance company, Dover, for not paying out his wife’s life insurance premium of 20000 NOK, but the insurance company was acquitted in 1915 since the bodies were not retrieved, and there was no evidence to support Brester’s version of how the two persons died. 

Endret av Matthias Kolberg
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider