Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

In Search Of Information Regarding Albertine Sophie Elvig, born January 7, 1840 in Hordaland, Norway

Barbara Scates
 Del

On 7/31/2021 at 4:11 PM, Anton Hagelee said:

Nils Nilsen of which nothing seems to be known. He married Gjertrude Gudmunsdatter about 1777 and they had only one child the son Nils.  After the death of her first husband Gjerturde married Knut Engelsen with whom she had several children. 

I have a question...this 1801 census appears to be "my" Knut  who is married to Gjertrude but the children are different. Thoughts on whether this is another Knud?

https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/503698:61749?ssrc=pt&tid=156613220&pid=162173390744

Endret av Barbara Scates
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

4 hours ago, Barbara Scates said:

I have a question...this 1801 census appears to be "my" Knut  who is married to Gjertrude but the children are different. Thoughts on whether this is another Knud?

Children different?  You need to explain a bit for me to understand. There is a Nils Nilsson born about 1779 from her first marriage and three children from her marriage with Knut and named after Knut. 

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/census/person/pf01058366001687

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjertrud's children are listed as Nils, Gundmund, Anna Maria, Anna Margareta and Hans (I believe this was from the bydebok (spelling?) information. This lists Elen and Abigael as Gjertrud's and Knud's common children. Are Hans and Berta listed as their teens considered their children also?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

19 minutes ago, Barbara Scates said:

Are Hans and Berta listed as their teens considered their children also?

These two are servants. 

The Norwegian words should be "Deres tjenere". If you put that into Google translate you get " Their servants"

If you use the version from Ancestry of "Deres tienere" Google translate totally screws up the translation and gives you "Their teens" . That is wrong, they are servants. 

From the Norwegian translation web site that I gave you the link to

tiener                  (see "tjener")

tjener                  servant, waiter

Endret av Anton Hagelee
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

As far as the children are concerned. The 1801 Census shows three alive at that time. There could have been more born but they may have died before the 1801 Census. 

Secondly you are far enough back so finding the baptism record of the children can become more difficult. That far back the mothers name may have been not included in the baptism record. For example in the 1801 Census is Ellen born about 1792. 

This is likely her in the Ancestry.com list. 

Ellena Knudsdatter

in the Norway, Select Baptisms, 1634-1927

Name:Ellena Knudsdatter
[Ellena Krabbetvedt] 

Baptism Date:10 apr 1791

Baptism Place:Tysvaer, Rogaland, Norway

Father:Knud Krabbetvedt

FHL Film Number:126301

Reference ID:2:VX4X64

Notice no mothers name and last name is the farm name. Makes the search difficult.

https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=UYt10&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&indiv=1&dbid=60092&msfng=knu*&msfng_x=1&msfns_x=1&msbdy=1790&msbdy_x=1&msbdp=10&msbpn__ftp=tysvaer, rogaland, norway&msbpn__ftp_x=1&msbpn=1059891&msbpn_x=1&new=1&rank=1&uidh=bz3&redir=false&msT=1&gss=angs-d&pcat=34&fh=10&h=13057773&recoff=&ml_rpos=11&queryId=d22f449a19b0149b1c423e0c474b805d

Endret av Anton Hagelee
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

And the same explanation holds for Abigael born about 1793 in the 1801 Census. 

Abigael Knudsdatter

Name:Abigael Knudsdatter
[Abigael Krabbetvedt] 

Baptism Date:12 feb 1792

Reference ID:2:VX50NR

https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=UYt9&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&indiv=1&dbid=60092&msfng=knu*&msfng_x=1&msfns_x=1&msbdy=1790&msbdy_x=1&msbdp=10&msbpn__ftp=tysvaer, rogaland, norway&msbpn__ftp_x=1&msbpn=1059891&msbpn_x=1&new=1&rank=1&uidh=bz3&redir=false&msT=1&gss=angs-d&pcat=34&fh=18&h=13063056&recoff=&ml_rpos=19&queryId=d22f449a19b0149b1c423e0c474b805d

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

And here is Engel born about 1789 in the 1801 Census 

Engel Knudsen

Name:Engel Knudsen

Baptism Date:31 des 1786 (31 Dec 1786)

Reference ID:2:VX4L4D

https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=UYt10&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&indiv=1&dbid=60092&msfng=knu*&msfng_x=1&msfns_x=1&msbdy=1790&msbdy_x=1&msbdp=10&msbpn__ftp=tysvaer, rogaland, norway&msbpn__ftp_x=1&msbpn=1059891&msbpn_x=1&new=1&rank=1&uidh=bz3&redir=false&msT=1&gss=angs-d&pcat=34&fh=31&h=10286102&recoff=&ml_rpos=32&queryId=d22f449a19b0149b1c423e0c474b805d

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

There are records of children born to Knud and Gjertrude that are not found in the 1801 Census. Perhaps the bygdebok records shed some light on them, but I can not remember seeing any bygdebok records on this family?

Here is a Gudmund. The record indicates he died in the same year as his birth.

Name:Gudmund Knudsen

Baptism Date:13 apr 1794

Death Date:1794

Father:Knud Engelsen Krabbetvedt

Mother:Giertrud Gudmundsdr

Reference ID:2:VX56R4

Endret av Anton Hagelee
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Here ia a Giertrud born in 1799, but the record in Ancestry also shows her death. 

Giertrud

in the Norway, Births and Christenings, 1648-1903

No Image
Text-only collection

Add or update information

Report a problem

Name:Giertrud

Christening Age:0

Death Age:0

Birth Date:Abt. 1799

Christening Date:21 apr 1799

Christening Place:Tysvaer, Rogaland, Norway

https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?dbid=60092&h=5314156&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=1345

Death Date:1799

Father:Knud Krabbetvedt

Mother:Giertrud Krabbetvedt

It looks to me like their were twins born on the same day. It is likely that both died before the 1801 Census 

Ane Maria Knudsdatter

Name:Ane Maria Knudsdatter

Birth Date:1799

Baptism Date:21 apr 1799

Reference ID:2:VX5MZX

Death of Ane Maria

Ane Maria

in the Norway, Births and Christenings, 1648-1903

Name:Ane Maria

Christening Age:0

Death Age:0

Birth Date:Abt. 1799

Christening Date:21 apr 1799

Christening Place:Tysvaer, Rogaland, Norway

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

On a positive note, you are looking for ancestors back in the 1700's. That is a rare achievement!

The parish records from Tysvær, Rogaland seem to me to be a total mess and very difficult to find and to read if you do find them. So you are fortunate to be getting as far as you are. 

Look on the bright side on this one. 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Here for the record is the original baptism record for Gudmund. In the far left column is a 13 something. Look to the right and you will see 

830ScreenShot20210808at.png

Note the ancestry record indicates that he died the same year. So somewhere in 1794 should be a Begraved and then his name. Difficult to find, the best I could do is this one. It may read Barn av Knud Enelsen?

12bScreenShot20210808at.png

Endret av Anton Hagelee
  • Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

14 hours ago, Anton Hagelee said:

Notice no mothers name and last name is the farm name. Makes the search difficult.

You are right about that Anton! I have been running into that repeatedly.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

On 8/8/2021 at 7:56 PM, Anton Hagelee said:

In your Tree you have a Anna Margareta and a Hans. Do you have any sources for those two people?

I think I got them off of a ancestry tree and I have a note to "look for documents". I cannot find any for those two so I deleted them.

You are the the best. I thought it was the right Knud, and the mistake in the Gudmund Engelsen was me working too many hours. Glad you pointed it out!

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Maybe you have this information already:

Albertine Sophie had siblings

Albert Johan christened May 16, 1842 Korskirken

Carl August  christened March 10, 1844 Korskirken

Johanne Regine christened November 28, 1847 Korskirken

Their father Arne Elvig (occupation: cooper) died and was buried January 12, 1848

The information is from the parish records of Korskirken church, Bergen

• Takk 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Tove thank you so much for the information! This site has wonderful researchers on it and you and the others have helped me so much. I will start adding this to my tree. I try to find information on my own but it has become difficult and I run into brick walls!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

20 hours ago, Tove D. Johansen said:

Maybe you have this information already:

Albertine Sophie had siblings

Albert Johan christened May 16, 1842 Korskirken

Carl August  christened March 10, 1844 Korskirken

Johanne Regine christened November 28, 1847 Korskirken

Their father Arne Elvig (occupation: cooper) died and was buried January 12, 1848

The information is from the parish records of Korskirken church, Bergen

I had some Tove but not all especially date Arne died.....that was a real find. Thanks!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider