Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Help understanding a probate record please

Kathleen Love
 Del

I do not need a lengthy translation of this. I have just begun using the probate records and most follow the same format: spouse, sons in birth order, daughters, with husbands if married, and the farms they moved to, and minor children's ages. I have a couple records now, both signed by Christen Hansen. They are brief with little detail.

sk20090226650697   or https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/24939/354 for Berithe Matsdatter.

Does this represent poorly done clerical work? The children Mali, Mads, Anne, Sara, Marithe are in no particular order. I believe Mali is the youngest.

The lack of detail leads me to think the children are all young adults, not minors any more, but unmarried and living in the parents household.

Is it just as likely Christen Hansen did not bother writing it all up?

Thank you for your opinions.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

It seems that this example is representative for the probate records from this "sorenskrivar" (judge).

I am not sure that there were instructions on the details, and if not, the practice is not "incorrect".

(Although we may prefer some more details).

The record describes how much the deceased left behind, and how it was divided.

I do not think you can deduce anything about age or marriage from this probate.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider