Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#64678] Navnet Jæger/ Læger på Kongsberg 1700 - tallet

Larry Halvorsen
 Del

Dag,

First I must correct the birthdate of Karen/Kari Amundsdatter.  The 3 April 1756 date I posted applies to Karen Amundsdatter, daughter of Amund Halvorsen Oderbeckis.

I do not have Kari Anundatters DOB.  There are a couple of children born to Anund Siulsen Boe in Sandsvaer EFT in 1803-1805 (Elen and Siul) that could be siblings to Kari from a second marriage but probably span too great.  Perhaps she too ended up back in Sandsvaer or Eiker.

On the latin notation, a "Hans Haagensen Ovantza? v: Jager" gave birth to Anna Marie in 1774 K-berg (page 70). Would I consider him a Jager?  There are no Jagers listed as sponsors.

The following Christian Christiansen Kjaers- (left, side 7 Feb) married Anne Elisabeth Boyesdatter 17 Mar 1810 in Oyestad:

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070316620585

I believe you are correct Christian Bastiansen is part of that family.  Christian Bastiansen is listed as a sponsor to Jorgen Christiansen's son Anders born 22 Jan 1757 (K-berg-page 77 left). Jorgen Christiansen Kiarsis was sponsor for Jens Christophersen's daughter Dorthe Marie (born 2 Aug 1760).  There is a Jens Christophersen Kiaer kov, age 70?, is listed in the 1801 Oyestad census under Neersteen, if he is the same guy it conflicts with 1765 death below.

Some other Kier sis:   Niels Christiansen Kiarsis,  father to Martha Marie (16 Nov 1760); Niels Pedersen Kiars father to Hans Hejdo (3 Jan 1761) and Peder (2 Nov 1771).

Niels Christiansen Kiars is sponsor for 7 Aug 1773 (pg 62) birth of Anna Barbara (Peder Olsen Jagers is father)

7 May 1768 (pg 184) Jorgen Christiansen Kiers, age 44, Pens. buried; wife is Maude  Pudnes?datter. (2nd wife)

4 May 1765 (pg 267) Jens Christophersen Kiers buried- can't read much of this, but age 29.

Finally some marriages:

17 June 1775 - Jorgen Jorgensen Kiars and Marie Pedersdatter, Lamers v: Levin

23 June  1775 - Niels Christiansen Kiars and Anna Marie Indreadsdatter Bering

26 Feb 1780 - Niels Pedersen Kiars and Anna Sebine Christensdatter, Huus

13 Oct 1781 - Christian Jorgensen Kiars and Aase Marie Sorensdatter Hvam

I would like to get your input on some ancestors from Roraas.  I spent a lot of time on the Corporals' last year.  Some, I believe were significant workers in the mines.  Too late tonight for that though.

Thanks,

Larry

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Kari Anundsdatter Bø was baptized on 1752-08-10 in Efteløt church, Sandsvær.

The Anund Bø having children in the early 1800’s was her nephew, son of Kari’s elder brother.

For a Norwegian is looks a little bit strange when you refer to Amund Halvorsen Oterbekk as Oderbeckis. The ending -is is an ancient genitive. In Norwegian we usually don’t use the apostoph before the genitive s. In this case the genitive is used in the baptism records since the baptized child was his.

In modern Norwegian: Amund Halvorsen Oterbekks barn …

In English: Amund Halvorsen Oterbekk’s child …

In the same way, when you find the form «Jægers», it is a genitive too, in English is would be «Jæger’s».

The exception from this rule in modern Norwegian is when the word ends with a -s. Then we use the apostroph after the final -s, example «Kjærs’». But in the 18th Century it was written «Kjærsis». Thus, «Kjærsis» is not a name, it’s just the genitive form of the name Kjærs.

1761-01-03: The child’s name was Hans Wejdo (Weidau), which means that he was given his mother’s surname. Mother: Agnete Hansdatter Weidau.

1765-05-04: Jens Xtopherß. Kjærs, gift-Mand som døde udi Stanken paa nye Skachten, gl. 29 Aar, alle (Kl(okker) fri.

That is: Jens Kristoffersen Kjærs, married man who died in «the stink» at the new shaft, aged 29 years, all bells free.

1768-05-07: Jørgen Xtianß. Kiærs, gift-Mand nede ved Gryn-Møllen, ej Pens., gl. 44 Aar.

That is: Jørgen Kristiansen Kjærs, married mann, down by the groats Mill, not oensioner, aged 44 years.

Men’s wives are never mentioned in burial records. And. As his probate shows, he was married only once:

Iørgen Christiansen Kiers - Probate register for Kongsberg town bailiff, Overbergamtet and Sønnafjelske bergamt 1705-1801 - The Digital Archive (digitalarkivet.no)

I guess it is this guy you refer to in Øyestad in 1801:

042 Jens Christian Kiærskov - 0017 Neersteen - 001 - Tellingskretsoversikt - Folketelling 1801 for 0920P Øyestad prestegjeld - Digitalarkivet 

His surname is Kjærskov, not Kjærs. Kjærskov is a Danish name meaning something like brushwood. On the other hand, Kjærs came from German «Kirsch», which means cherry in English.

Hans Håkonsen Qvantza or Jæger was the son of Håkon Hansen Qvantza and Anne Hansdatter Jæger, married on 1732-01-30. As you see, he used both his parents’ surnames. That was not unusual at that time. Before 1923 in Norway, you didn’t automatically inherit your father’s surname, and women never got her husband’s surname. In this case, you will never find Anne Hansdatter Jæger mentioned as Anne Hansdatter Qvantza. Another example is your Corporal ancestors. They were known as Corporal as long as they stayed at Røros, but after moving to Kongsberg they were generally called «Røraas», because the was what «everyone» comming from Røros to Kongsberg were called.

Anne Hansdatter Jæger was probably Bertel Hansen Jæger’s sister. And, as I have mentioned before, I suspect that there might be a connection between them and your Jæger Family.

When I look at this family with the likely sibling Hans, Bertel, Anne, Ingeborg and Kari/Karen, and Hans in 1732 stating that he was a melter’s son, I suspect that their father was Hans Sebjørnsen, a son of Sebjørn Pedersen and Eli Hansdatter at the Stavlum søndre Farm, Fiskum, Øvre Eiker. That is in the opposite end of Eiker from Skotselv. In 1711, he is stated to be at the age of 45, which is plausible, and 66 years old in 1732. In addition he had at least another daughter, Eli, who must have died young. His wife’s name is so far unknown (Hans was a widower in 1732). Either they married before the Kongsberg church records start in 1696 or at another place than Kongsberg, Eiker and Sandsvær. He worked as a melter, and to me it seems that he for some years might have lived somewhere else. I don’t find him mentioned in Eiker after 1691, and then in Kongsberg from 1702.

I guess that he was the Hans Jæger I find mentioned twice in 1712, one of them as a sponsor for Hans Sebjørnsen’s brother’s child. I don’t know why he «picked up» this surname; there is nothing in his ancestory pointing in such a direction. Did he adopt it from his wife? Or had he served as a soldier in the Jegerkorps?

I have two large documents about Røros. Together they make up almost a thousand pages. One is a survey of Røros mining familie, the other one an extract of Røros probates with a lot of additional information about those mentioned there.

I am not an expert on Røros genealogy. Thus, I’ll be unable to give you much help in your research there. Maybe the best solution would be that you send my your e-mail address so that I could provide the documents to you?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Dag,

There is a skifte after Christian Jorgensen Kjaers, and a bapt. record for son Christian:

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/sk20081201380153 skifte- July 1783

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070316620585 Bapt-Feb 1784

I can't get much useful from from the skifte, but from the dates Jorgen died before Christian was born? Looks like he died soon after conception.

Getting back to Niels death:  "alle Kl(okker) fri."  does that mean there will be no charge for the bell tolling? perhaps because of the tragic death.  I am always surprised there is not more practical reference to things like burial places, charges for candles, etc. in the Dode books.  I suppose there must have been other records that were not preserved.

The lamp goes out early tonight,

Tusen Takk

Larry

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Kristian Jørgensen Kjærs was buried on 1783-07-26: Christian Jørgenß. Kiærs, gift M(an)d, ej Pens., gl. 30 Aar.

His son Kristian was baptized on 1784-02-07, and was probably born a week or two in advance. That is half a year after his father's burial. 

No, it isn't easy to read those probate protocols. His probate is mentioned in the register as well:

Christian Jørgensen Kiers - Probate register for Kongsberg town bailiff, Overbergamtet and Sønnafjelske bergamt 1705-1801 - The Digital Archive (digitalarkivet.no)

Yes, Alle klokker fri (all bells free), means that there will be no charge for the bell tolling. All bells free was normally reserved for those why had died in an accident while on work. Others had the small bells free only. And yes, there are other records preserved as well, but they have not been scanned so far. If you look into the church accounts you will find what is missing in these burial records. If you go back to the start of the century, you'll find more  of this type of information in burial records, too.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Dag

When you said there were no probate in Kongsberg prior to 1739 does that exclude the register (Probate register for Kongsberg town bailiff, Overbergamtet and Sønnafjelske bergamt 1705-1801)?  It appears so since Christian Jorgensen Kiars was in there.

Glad to have the knowledge on the v. (or) notation as I am finding more of them.  The "Sal:" as well.    The following one is confusing - Is Karen Mathiasdatter the wife of Niels Olsen Lund v. Corporal?

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070316620095 (20 June 1758)

I have found a lot of Jager, Corporal and Kiars refs in the burial records up to 1758, but still no wife for Anders Christophersen.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

There is a probate protocol for the years 1705-12. However, no "ordinary people" are mentioned there. Only once I have found anything helpful in it. The next protocol starts in 1739: The Digital Archive (digitalarkivet.no) 

Karen Mathiæd., Sal(ig) Niels Olß. Lund v. Corporal, Pens., gl. 70 Aar, bet(alt) Smaae Kl(ocker) Med hende i Kiste Daniel Erlandß. hiemmedøbte S(øn) Peder Andreas, gl. 7 dage.

Karen Mathiasdatter, widow of Nils Olsen Lund or Corporal, pensioner, 70 years old, paid for the small bells. With her in the coffin Daniel Erlandsen’s home-paptized son Peder Andreas, 7 days old.

It was costumary in Kongsberg to bury (small) children in an adult person’s coffin. There were several reasons for this:

1. The cemeteries in Kongsberg were always too small. Thus, the limited number of available graves mad it impossible that every child could have it own separate grave.

2. I was expensive to have a separate grave, and the child mortality was in many families extremely high.

3. According to the folklore, it meant «good luck for the jouney» to have a company on your last journey.

However, as I have told you before, there is no connection between this Lund or Corporal Family and your ancestors. Nils Olsen Lund or Corporal was born in the City of Skien and his father in the district of Hadeland. There is no link to Røros. Lund was my grandmother's maiden name. Thus I have studied everyone with this name in Kongsberg and the surroundings and know this Lund or Corporal Family quite well.

Would it be an idea to go back to the kommunikantprotokoll to see if there is more to find there about Anders Kristoffersen's widow Ingeborg? A patronymic and for how long she is mentioned? That would perhaps make it easier til find her burial. On the other hand, she might have returned to where she came from, Skotselv or another place, and in Eiker you will be unable to find her burial if you don't know her patronymic. 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Very interesting about the burial of small children.  I often wondered about that because so many died in those days.  So, burial would happen with people not related ; those that were going into the ground on any particular day.

You gave me:

1737-06-01:   Ole Johansen Finne and Ingeborg Hansdatter Jæger,  Can I assume this is not Ingebor remarrying because it does not title her Enke?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The answer is yes on both your questions. 

I find the this probate after Ingeborg Hansdatter Jæger in 1754:

Ingebor Hansdtr - Probate register for Kongsberg town bailiff, Overbergamtet and Sønnafjelske bergamt 1705-1801 - The Digital Archive (digitalarkivet.no) 

With a 5 years old daughter, it is impossible that she was "your" Ingeborg. She was baptized on 1710-05-21, and the remark in the probate about Ole Olsen Småland as her "svoger", i.e. brother-in-law, makes it evident who she was.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I thought so- it was a long shot.  I am continuing through the Communicants list.  Found some Jagers part of Berthel’s family I believe.  Can I assume a ladies first name following the man’s is the wife or could be a daughter?  The Communicants listing is more beneficial than I would have thought- let’s you know people are still alive.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

From your question I read that you are in the mid 1730s. In most cases it would be his wife's name. 

Let us go to 1736 where we find the same couple mentioned yesterday (on the top of right page):

SAKO, Kongsberg kirkebøker, M/Ma/L0001: Communicants register no. 1, 1731-1739, p. 222
Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb10311404080213 

"Niels Olsen Lund med h(ustrue) Karen"

That is: Nils Olsen Lund with w(ife) Karen.

In a few cases you in stead of the letter h. will find a d. - for datter (daughter).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I thought there had to be some differentiation because the priest had to have accurate records of the women as well that were subject to public absolvement for missing communion.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I have found several references to Hans Jager and Bertel Jager in the Kongbergs Communicants book.  (Two Jagers I have not placed yet) .  The following indicates Hans has daughters Karen and Ingebor

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb10311404080100 -page 118 communicants

Hans Jager was a regular communicant he is found on pages 83 (1733), 124, 161. All these by himself.

Other entries of interest:

Page 82 Bertel Jager and Anne

Page 95 Berthe Elizabeth Jagersdatter

Page 103 Cristoffer Christoffersen and Ingebor

Page 139 Ingebor Hansdatter, Karen and son Rasmus

Page 177 Karen and Ingebor Geiger

There are of course many Ingebors listed and Ingebor Hansdatter's that can't be tied to any Jagers.  A lot of Bastian Kiars family as well.

Found the following in what I believe is a local Arendal 1815 Mantall. Note # 33 - does that say Martin Jager?

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/ft20110311630246

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I have found out who Anders Kristoffersen in Skotselv's wife Ingeborg was. Her name was Ingeborg Sebjørnsdatter and was born at the Stavlum søndre Farm (also written Stablum), Fiskum, Øvre Eiker, in or close to 1679: Norgeskart 

The proof is a deed on this farm given in 1724 from her, her husband and her siblings and their spouses to her brother Peder Sebjørnsen, that is quoted in his probate in 1742. See left page, 2nd column close to the top:

SAKO, Eiker, Modum og Sigdal sorenskriveri, H/Hb/Hba/L0008c: Skifteprotokoll, 1741-1743, p. 479b-480a
Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/sk20081027630321 

I had stored a link to transcription of this probate, but now it seems to be a dead link.

She was buried in Kongsberg on 1739-02-28:

Enchen Ingebor Sebiørnsd(atter), Sl. Anders Christopherß.s gl. 60 Aar og 14 Dage. I samme Kiste Hendrich Andreaß. Hs. S. Anders Berthel Henrichß. gl. 6 Maaneder mindre 2 Dage.

That is: The widow Ingeborg Sebjørnsdatter, Anders Kristoffersen’s widow, aged 60 years and 14 days. In the same coffin Henrik Andreassen’s son Anders Bertel Henriksen, aged 2 days less than 6 months.

SAKO, Kongsberg kirkebøker, F/Fa/L0002: Parish register (official) no. I 2, 1721-1743, p. 284-285
Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070316610161 

That makes her a sister of Hans Sebjørnsen - alias Hans Jæger - the father of Hans and Bertel Hanssønner Jæger and Anne, Ingeborg and Karen Hansdøtre Jæger. 

Their parents were Sebjørn Pedersen Stavlum (c1636-1726) and wife Eli Hansdatter. Last time I have found her mentioned, was in 1700.

Their known children:

Torger, b. ca. 1661, d. before 1632, lived in Kongsberg, descendants.

Peder (c1663-1742), married to married to Lisbeth Pedersdatter. They took over the farm after his parents.

Guri (c1664-1700), probably unmarried.

Hans, b. ca. 1666, was alive in the mid-1730s, wife so far unknown (he was a widower in 1732), lived in Kongsberg, descendants.

Siver/Søren (c1671-1752), married to Mette Gram, lived in Kongsberg, descendants.

Dorte, married to Nils Nilsen Teigen at the Teigen Farm, Fiskum, Øvre Eiker.

Sara (d. 1743), married to Jon Amundsen Råen at the Råen øvre (or søndre) Farm, Fiskum, Øvre Eiker.

Maren, married to Nils Hansen. They lived at a section of the Stavlum søndre Farm.

Ingeborg (se above).

I have so far been unable to find out where the surname Jæger came from.

Endret av Dag Thorsdalen
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Dag,

Great detective work!  I would have never seen the relevance of the names in the skifte after Peder Sebjornsen even if I would have stumbled across it.  All I could read were Dorthe and Jon Amundsen's names at the top, Anders and Ingeborg's names with the farm in between and Maren's name below.  Ingeborg looks like Ingebor to me, but I assume it is considered same name?  I see Dorte and Maren were identified by you as known children.  How did you determine Hans Sebjornsen was alias Hans Jaeger?  I have his (youngest?) daughter Karen born 31 Dec 1712 making him 46.  Ingeborg would have been about 33.  I wonder if this was a second marriage for Hans?  Seems Hans was the first to use the Jaeger name in Kongsberg perhaps he was a hunter back on Stavlum Sondre farm.  Of course, we don't know if Jager was used when sons Hans and Bertel were born.  May be worth a look if there are Confirmation records for them.  It could be when sister Ingeborg moved to the city her boys used the name started by their uncle?

I have a lot of work ahead putting all this new information to rest.  Seems like the story started in Fiskum Ovre Eiker, a place I never heard of when I started.

Thanks again.

Larry

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Some years ago, I studied the history of the Stavlum søndre Farm, with two purposes: 1) To see if it was possible to link those living there in the 17th Century with my own ancestors who through several generations kept a partial ownership to that farm. 2) To map a brother of Hans and Ingeborg to see whether or not there was a connection between him and a branch of my ancestors in Kongsberg. The outcome on the second question was negative. During that study I made some notes about Hans as well. When this case came up, I realized that the Hanssons and Hansdaughters Jæger fitted with those of his children I already knew the batisms of.

What made me almost sure was when I in 1711 Census found a Bertel Hanssen, 13 years old, born in Eiker and living with his father:

Bertel Hanssen - Manntall ved Kongsberg Sølvverk 1711 - The Digital Archive (digitalarkivet.no)

This fits perfectly with Bertel Hansen Jæger, but his baptism is not to be found neither in Eiker nor in Kongsberg. When baptisms are missing in Eiker, the explanation is often that they were baptized in Fiskum Church, which is next to Kongsberg. Fiskum generally had its own priest, who kept his own records. Unfortunately, those records are not complete. When I in the same census looked at Hans’es with a known connection to Eiker, I found just a handful. And by elimination Hans Sebjørnsen came out as the most likely candidate.

I became even more certain when I saw that a Hans Jæger was among the sponsors for Torger Sebjørnsen Stavlum’s son Hans on 1712-04-03. Among the sponsors we also find a Ingrid Sebjørnsdatter. Sebjørn is a very rare name, and because Torger himself was a Sebjørnsen, she was probably a close relative. This is the single time I’ve found mentioned a Ingrid Sebjørnsdatter, and since the names Ingrid and Ingeborg sometimes are confused, it’s possible that this is Ingeborg who has taken the trip from Skotselv to Kongsberg be a sponsor for her brother’s son. The other female sponsor was their brother Siver/Søren’s wife Mette Gram.

SAKO, Kongsberg kirkebøker, SAKO/A-22/F/Fa/L0001Parish register (official) no. I 1, 1696-1720, p. 85-86

Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070315660682

I have so far no information about Hans Sebjørnsen Stavlum or Jæger’s marriage or marriages. However, it is likely that he was married only once. And my guess is that his wife was a Bertelsdatter. Bertel, too, is a rare name, particularily in the countryside. Thus, it’s most likely that she was from Kongsberg where this name occurs in a few familes. And an Anna Maria Bertelsdatter was among the sponsors for Hans Sebjørnsen’s son Hans in 1702, a possible sister of his wife.

The final clue was when I fond a probate showing that there was a family relationship between the Hansen Jægers and descendants of two of Hans Sebjørnsen’s brothers living in Kongsberg. The only possible explanation is that Hans Sebjørnsen and Hans Jæger was the same man. Hans Sebjørnsen is mentioned in the census of 1732. I have so far not found him buried.

It is my guess that Ingeborg, after becoming a widow, came to live with her brother Hans in Kongsberg. This is a possible explanation why her children, too, picked up the Jæger surname. The incomplete church records of Fiskum is also a likely explanation on why we have failed to find her wedding.

If we look at Hans Sebjørnsen in the 1711 Census, where he is stated to be at the age of 45, we see that he had been on the payroll for just 17 years.

Hans Sebiørnsen - Manntall ved Kongsberg Sølvverk 1711 - The Digital Archive (digitalarkivet.no)

If his period of service was uninterrupted, he might have started when he was in his late 20s. This means that he must have done something different in the first ten years or so of his adult life, for instance been a soldier in the Jægerkorps.

1712 is the first time I have found Hans using Jæger as his surname. When he baptized his elder children, he was mentioned as just Hans Sebjørnsen. The children are:

Bertel, born ca. 1698/99, baptism not found

Hans, baptised 1702-08-02

Eli, baptized 1705-05-09

Anne, baptized 1707-07-20

Ingeborg, baptized 1710-05-21

Karen, baptized 1712-12-31

In addition there was another Karen. Based on the stated age whe was buried, she was born ca. 1707/08, but that is very uncertain. One possible solution is that she is identical with Eli, the only child I haven’t found mentioned afterwards. If so, she might have had a dobble surname but only one of them mentioned in her baptism record.

You will not find confirmation records for any of his children. The Confirmation was introduced in 1736, and prior to that we have no such records.

Spelling of names: Yes, you read the name as Ingebor. This is how this name was – and still is – pronounced in the Kongsberg area. However, Ingeborg is the correct spelling. My great-grandmother’s nam was Ingeborg. This was how she wrote it, but the final -g was silent when she pronounced it. But where I live, the -g is generally pronounced. In those days there was no fixed spelling, and for some names you will find a lot of different spillings of the same person’s name. Which on should you choose? The only possible solution is to choose the variation closest to modern fixed spelling.

The Stavlum søndre Family’s ancestors could be tracked back to the early 1500s.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

På 1.12.2021 den 19.43, Larry Halvorsen skrev:

This is a curious 1733 entry for Hans Jeger

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070316610082 (right side - middle)

In 1732 mantall Hans Hansen Jaeger was attributed one child, could this be it?  Sponsors provide no link to the family as we know it.

This baptism raises more questions than answers!

The first question is which Hans Jæger who was the father.

Hans Hansen Jæger buried his wife on 1731-05-31. And according to the census of 1732 he was a widower when it was taken in August/September that year. The same year he became the father to an illegitimate child. The records about this affair confirm that he wasn’t a married man. If he had been so, the words used had been different. I have not found any information indicating that he remarried. The mother of his illegitimate child married another man while Hans was still alive. Thus she could not have been his second wife.

It is impossible that this child was the one mentioned in the 1732 Census; she was not even conceived when that census was taken.

The child mentioned in 1732 was Marta baptized on 1717-10-01. Most likely she was the Marta Hansdatter confirmed in 1745.

Another Hans Jæger buried his wife on 1732-07-05. This must be Hans Sebjørnsen. He too is mentioned as a widower in the 1732 Census, and I have found nothing indicating that he remarried.

He was buried on 1743-07-23 as old Hans Jæger, widower, pensioner, 74 years old, small bells free.

SAKO, Kongsberg kirkebøker, SAKO/A-22/F/Fa/L0002Parish register (official) no. I 2, 1721-1743, p. 532-533

Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070316610283

I am able to identify four of the five sponsors, but none of them give me a clue.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I was not sure, from the way it was annotated, if it was a Jager at all! So Hans Hansen Jager had an illegitimate child, but it is not Anthonetta ?  The 1732 census does not name the child, but indicates it was illegitimate?  Marta being Confirmed at 28 would be very unusual would it not?

I have been trying to tie in Ingeborg Jensdatter Jaeger to the family,  I believe now she could be a daughter of Jens Amundsen Oterbekk whose mother was Elen Andersdatter Jager.  The found children of her husband Morten Clemetsen Eleonora were: Jens (19 Oct 1771), Elen (3 Sept 1774),  Inger Marie (9 Mar 1776) and Lars (22 Oct 1785). The naming of Elen after grandmother is a clue, and also Ingeborg after Elen's mother. Sister of Jens, Karen Amundsdatter, is a sponsor for Inger Marie.  There is a Halvor Halvorsen Konerved?, Martha Halvorsdatter Konerved possible siblings of Amund Halvorsen Oterbekk.  Jens Amundsen Oterbekk and Halvor Amundsen Oterbekk are sponsors for Lars and Elen resp.

It would help if I had Bapt. record for Ingeborg, and Jens was father - need to look for that.  But, why would Ingeborg use Jager as surname rather than Oterbekk?  Would not the two Marthas born to Jen, and his unknown wife, also be Jendatters Jager?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Marta Hansdatter Jæger was born in 1727 and confirmed in 1745, at the age of 17. Nothing unusual about that.

The illegitimate child born in 1732 was baptized Karen. I cannot see that she grew up (in Kongsberg). The mother's name was Susanne Halvorsdatter Unger. An illegitimate child would never had been mentioned under the father in the census - unless he later had married the child's mother, which he did not do. The childrens names are never mentioned in the censuses.

Ingeborg Jensdatter Jæger was Eli/Ellen Andersdatter Jæger's daughter with her first husband, Jens Kristensen Skott. She was baptized on 1745-05-16, five days after her father was buried after he some months earlier had been injured in a mining accident. 

Jens Amundsen Oterbekk was her younger half-brother.

The surname Konerved is unknown to me and sounds peculiar. I guess you in stead mean Konnerud. That is the place where Morten Klemtsen Eleonora was born, and according to this probate he had a half-sister called Marta Halvorsdatter Konnerud:

Morten Clemetsen - Probate register for Kongsberg town bailiff, Overbergamtet and Sønnafjelske bergamt 1705-1801 - The Digital Archive (digitalarkivet.no) 

I find that Ingeborg and Morten had seven children. Two of them grew up and got married.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Dag,

I still have to review your earlier post about your earlier interest in Stavlum.  Seems I am the beneficiary of a lot of that work. For some reason I had a bapt. of 1 Oct 1717 for Marta; perhaps a typo error.  I should have caught that  Eli/Ellen's first husband was a Jens, I of course new of him - that explains it all.  The Konnerud /Konnerved was just my poor reading of the script.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...

I have found the burial entry for Anne Andersdatter:

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070316620144

This would make her year of birth about 1707.  Since her skifte (9-18-1766) says she was from Sandsvaer-moen, I tried looking at Kongsberg for her birth first.  I found the following Anne born 1705 to Anders Basseruds, but there is no way to confirm, and seems unlikely:

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070315660665

The 3 Nov 1736 marriage entry yields little help.  No jager is shown for Ole Andersen , and there is no farm or other surname for the Anne Andersdatter; no way of verifying this is even their marriage..  The names of possible relatives Hans Andersen Wejden and Ingbreth Olsen appear in Anne's skifte.  The only other clue is that Hans Jager appears as a sponsor for a son Morton (1723) of an Ingbreth Andersen; see link below.  There is no known Ingbreth's on Ole's side of the family.

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070316610033

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

It would have been intersting if Anne Andersdatter turned up to be Anders (Andersen) Basserud's daughter! Basserud is a farm close to Stavlum and there are some connections between them. On the other hand, I don't belived that she was. This is based on that I so not see any connection between her/Ole and Anders Basserud's known children. 

I don't know from where you have Ingebret Olsen and Hans Andersen Weido as possible relatives of her. I am unable to see them mentioned in her probate:

Anne Andersdtr - Probate register for Kongsberg town bailiff, Overbergamtet and Sønnafjelske bergamt 1705-1801 - The Digital Archive (digitalarkivet.no) 

Ingebret Olsen had an indirect connection to the family: He was married to a sister of Bertel Hansen Jæger's second wife. And Hans Andersen Weido was just a neighbor at Sandsværmoen. That is a neigborhood in what was then the southwestern end of Kongsberg.

I am not sure that it is possible to find Anne Andersdatter's origin. There are a few other candidates baptized in Kongsberg in the first decade of the 18th century. However, I see no link between her and any of those candidates. Thus, my guess is that she might have moved in from somewhere outside Kongsberg. The only possible trance I have been able to find is the godmother of their first born son Anders on 1737-09-29, Anders Hansen's wife Helle Andersdatter:

SAKO, Kongsberg kirkebøker, SAKO/A-22/F/Fa/L0002Parish register (official) no. I 2, 1721-1743, p. 348-349
Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070316610193 

They are unknown to me and might have been newcommers when mining in Kongsberg was expanding from 1733. One option is that they were her parents, another that Helle was her sister and a third that there was no family connection between them and her at all.

There are two possible ways that might reveal Anne's origin:

1) If she with certainty could be found in the kommunikantprotokoll prior to her wedding together with likely relatives, such as parents and/or siblings.

2) Going through the baptism protocol to see if it is possible to find her or Ole as sponsors for likely reatives of hers.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Dag,

Anders Hansen's wife Helle Andersdatter looks like a good lead; there was also an Ellev Hansen sponsor for  the Anders born 1 May 1746.  In the 25 Sept 1740 Bapt. of another Anders sponsors Kiersten and ? Eli Andersdatter Jager are listed.  Not sure who Kiersten was  -- perhaps only "Jager" applied to Eli Andersdatter?  I also have 20 Jan 1753, page 188 listed for another son Anders, but when I went back to find his sponsors I couldn't find the entry.  I also have a note that Ingbreth Andersen's son Morten has Hans Jager as sponsor, but need to check date.

I will have to look at the skifte again to see where I got the names Ingebret Olsen and Hans Andersen Weido.  I did think there was a place named in the skifte  after Anne Andersdatter's name, does it say from Evje Sogn? 

Larry

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Here is her original probate from the skifteprotokoll:

SAKO, Kongsberg byfogd, H/Hb/L0007: Skifteprotokoll, 1762-1769, p. 343b-344a
Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/sk20081201340880 

I t continues on the next page. There I see where you have got the name Ingebret Olsen from. In addition to their town house, they owned a paddock at Svartås, outside Kongsberg, where they grew gras and corn and had a cow. And it is described to lay between the Ingebret Olsen and Klaus Pedersen's paddock. I am unable to see any reference to Hans Andersen Weido or Evje sogn. Neither I am able to read anything else that might point at Anne's origin.

The other names mentioned, in addition to those mentioned in the register, were legal officers. 

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider