Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Rømt Register

Richard Olsen
 Del

As far as I know, information on sailors who "rømte" might be found in the seamen rolls, but then we need to know the name of the person in question and where we shall look for him. Do you search for information on a special person?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Grethe Flood, Thank you!!

I am seeking information on a specific person. The problem is there is no information in the seamen rolls. His name and patent number are there, but no information on his sailing history.

The time periods I am seeking is 1901-02 and 1910.

I found information listing sailors who romte in the 1800s. I am wondering if records for romte exist for the 1900s, including the years mentioned above. I don't believe there is anything online, but Digital Archives or National Archives may have such records.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Richard: do you know for a fact that the person you are researching abandoned ship? If not: the reason there is no information on his sailing history in the seamen roll may be that he never sailed! (At least not from Norwegian ports.) He was registered, and that was it. I have found that often to be the case.

I doubt very much that there exists or existed a particular record of seaman who had abandoned ship, apart from the information given in the seamen rolls.

In some cases, there is a duplicate seamen roll which, again in in some cases) is more complete when it comes to sailing history. Might be worth while to check if such a duplicate exists in your case (in Digitalarkivet).

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I have made a search at Arkivportalen  and in the catalogue for the archive RA/S-1405 - Handelsdepartementet (Ministry of Commerce), Sjøfartsavdelingen, 1. sjømannskontor, I can see that there is a series Di - Ettersøkte sjømenn (sailors that were wanted). However the records are not registered on names but serial numbers, so then we need some kind of register to trace the person in behind one of these numbers. I do not know if this material might be relevant to you, but here is a link to the catalogue: https://www.arkivportalen.no/entity/no-a1450-01000002505621?ins=RA. The material is - as far as I can see - not digitised. 

It is not so easy to suggest records if we do not know the name of the person that you are researching and from where he abandoned the ship - was it in Norway or abroad? In the archives left by for instance the consulates abroad, you might find books (Norwegian: protokoller) with information on sailors that had escaped (rømte sjømenn), see this example from the Consulate in Philadelphia, USA (Konsulatet i Philadelphia, USA):

Link: https://www.arkivportalen.no/entity/no-a1450-01000000775444?ins=RA

Print screen:

Catalogue .jpg

Endret av Grethe Flood
  • Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Richard Johan Natvig and Grethe Flood, Thank you for the valuable information. I will check those records.

The person in question is my grandfather. The older generation told different stories, so I am trying to have it confirmed or denied that he 'jumped-ship'. He went to sea at the age of 14.

It is my understanding that males had to register, for possible militaty service, at the age of 16. Those younger than 16 who went to sea did not have to register. At the age of 16, my grandfather left Norway for a few years. He did not register. When he returned to Norway, in his early twenties, he was informed that he had to register for military service. That is when the officials entered his name and other information in the seamen rolls. Although it was in 1906, the officials placed his name in the seamen rolls for 1884-1899 because of his sailing history. Soon after that he left Norway and never returned. So, that is why he is in the seamen rolls without any sailing history.

I did find records with names of sailors who rømte in the 1800s. I found my great-grandfather's name and other relatives. I thought that if they have records with names of sailors who rømte in the 1800s, then perhaps there are records for those in the 1900s.

Many Norwegian sailors rømte in Canada during the late 1800s and early 1900s. The most popular place in Canada was the province of New Brunswick. In 1883, Norwegian ship captains complained about their crews escaping in New Brunswick. In time, most of the sailors returned to Norway.

• Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

1 hour ago, Richard Olsen said:

I will enter this interesting information:

When my grandfather was informed to register for military service many other men registered also. There being too many men, the military officials placed pieces of paper with either the word Yes or the word No on each piece of paper. They were placed in a box (or something) and each man picked a piece of paper. The men who picked the paper with the word Yes on it had to perform military service. Those with the paper with No on it did not have to enter into military service. My grandfather had a piece of paper with the word NO, so no military service for him.

Endret av Richard Olsen
  • Liker 1
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider