Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Hellone? Vossaboki av Lars Kindem, “Voss Bygdeboknemnd” 1933-1938.

David Rossebø Bunker
 Del

Hellone? Vossaboki av Lars Kindem, “Voss Bygdeboknemnd” 1933-1938.

Hjelp med engelsk oversettelse, takk.

Lars Kindem: Vossaboki 3, side 153-4.

The local people were involved in mining of slate, apparently. The vocabulary is new to me and I have not found resources to understand or translate many words: hellone, helledrift, helledrifti, hellebroti, hellebenk.

Here is the original passage:

Nils Brynjulvson f. 1849, var g. m. Ragnhild Olavsdr. Grjotland og døydde 1899. Han fekk skøyte på garden i 1882 for 3900 kronor. Helledrifti på Norheim vart auka mykje i hans tid. Han var ein fyregangsmann med helledrifti og fekk

--- side 154 ---

skipa eit lutlag til å handla med hellone som vart upparbeidde på Voss. Til føring av hellone frå Norheims- og Øvrebergi fekk han bygt togbane ned til Lønavatnet der ei dampferje førde hellone over vatnet. Frå ei bryggje under En vart so hellone køyrde til jarnbanestasjonen på Vangen. I 1895 vart l/l Voss Skiferbrud skipa, og det overtok handelen med hellone. L/l Voss Transportkompani vart skipa då jarnbanen Voss-Oslo vart opna, og det bygde ny togbane som førde hellone frå hellebroti til Klyve stoppeplass ved Bergensbanen.

My translation:

Nils Brynjulvson born 1849, was married to Ragnhild Olavsdtr. Grjotland and died in 1899. He got ownership of the farm in 1882 for (worth?) 3900 kroner. Helledrifti at Norheim was much increased in his time.

--- page 154 ---

He was a pioneer (?) with (?) operations (helledrifti) and was allowed to ship a (?) team to trade with (?) that had been prepared at Voss.

(Han var ein fyregangsmann med helledrifti og fekk skipa eit lutlag til å handla med hellone som vart upparbeidde på Voss.)

To transport (?) from Norheims- and Øvrebergi, he had a train line built down to Lønavatnet where a steam ferry carried (?) across the lake. From a pier (?) under (?) so (?) drove to the railway station at Vangen. In 1895 l / l Voss Slate Quarry (?) was the ship, and it took over the trade in (?) L / l Voss Transport Company (Transportkompani) was the ship when the Voss-Oslo railway was opened, and it built a new train line that led the (?) from the rock quarry (hellebroti) to Klyve stop at the Bergen line.

Takk / Thanks.

David

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The text is written in the local dialect, so the endings differ from standard Norwegian.

Helle, alone or in combination with other words, means flagstone, and also includes roof shingles. Typically made of slate, but any flat rock is called a helle.

Hellone (hellene in standard Norwegian) - plural, the flagstones

Helledrift - flagstone operation

Hellebrot - flagstone (slate) quarry
Hellebenk - flagstone bench

Nils Brynjulvson born 1849, was married to Ragnhild Olavsdtr. Grjotland and died in 1899. He got ownership of the farm in 1882 for 3900 kroner. The flagstone operation at Norheim was much increased in his time. 

--- page 154 ---

He was a pioneer with flagstone operations and he founded a company to trade the flagstones that had been prepared at Voss. 

To transport the flagstones from Norheims- and Øvrebergi, he had a train line built down to Lønavatnet where a steam ferry carried the flagstones across the lake. From a pier at En (En is the name of a local lakeside farm), the flagstones were driven to the railway station at Vangen. In 1895 L/L Voss Slate Quarry was founded, and it took over the flagstone trade. L/L Voss Transport Company (Transportkompani) was founded when the Voss-Oslo railway was opened, and it built a new train line that led the flagestones from the slate quarry to Klyve stop at the Bergen line.

Lutlag, or lottlag (L/L), is a joint-stock company owned by shareholders.

Endret av Matthias Kolberg
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

First, thanks for an amazing job. The past comes alive with your help. The story of Bergensbanen alone sounds remarkable.

The togbane sounds like a cross between an old fashion bucket brigade and a ski lift running backwards.

What is a hellebenk and a benkjedrivar? It is not clear to me what a flagstone bench would be. Probably not a place to sit?

I am struggling with the geography. The best map that I have found is not searchable and has no scale, but very detailed.

https://www.grind.no/en/hardanger/ulvik/bergensbanen

Where is Øvrebergi?

There is Æn on the SW tip of Lønavatnet, where it joins Melsvatnet. Is that the En in the text?

The Vangen in question – is that Vossvagen on Vangsvatnet?

Tusen takk,

David

Til føring av hellone frå Norheims- og Øvrebergi fekk han bygt togbane ned til Lønavatnet der ei dampferje førde hellone over vatnet. Frå ei bryggje under En vart so hellone køyrde til jarnbanestasjonen på Vangen. I 1895 vart L/L Voss Skiferbrud skipa, og det overtok handelen med hellone. L/L Voss Transportkompani vart skipa då jarnbanen Voss-Oslo vart opna, og det bygde ny togbane som førde hellone frå hellebroti til Klyve stoppeplass ved Bergensbanen.

Nils Samsonson En (Amerika), Odd f. 1854, g. m. Anna Arnfinnsdr. Sygnaberde, benkjedrivar og huseigar på Norheim,

Olav f. 1877, g. m. Anna Andersdr. Lemme og døydde 1908, dreiv stor hellebenk på Norheim, var styrar av togbanen og åtte huseigedom på Norheim.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

29 minutter siden, David Rossebø Bunker skrev:

Where is Øvrebergi?

There is Æn on the SW tip of Lønavatnet, where it joins Melsvatnet. Is that the En in the text?

The Vangen in question – is that Vossvagen on Vangsvatnet?

Going back to your source, Vossaboki 3,

https://www.nb.no/items/1c3d8051c6ce83d3f9209d787261f1d9?page=153&searchText=øvrebergi

at p. 443 a passage "dreiv i mange år hellebenk på Øvrebergi ovanfor Norheim..."

means that "Øvrebergi" is the rocks (bergi) above Norheim.

Æn SW of Lønavatnet must be the place. 

Vangen must be Vossevangen.

See if this map works (from abroad):

https://www.norgeskart.no/#!?project=norgeskart&layers=1002&zoom=12&lat=6755749.64&lon=33895.04&sok=lønavat&markerLat=6757722.272277606&markerLon=35221.03200437367&p=searchOptionsPanel

Endret av Ivar S. Ertesvåg
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

My current understanding is that hellebenk was like a mining claim or mineral / mining rights and the benkedrivar would be the supervisor of the mining operation.

Nice map, thanks.

Olav f. 1877, g. m. Anna Andersdr. Lemme og døydde 1908, dreiv stor hellebenk på Norheim, var styrar av togbanen og åtte huseigedom på Norheim.

Here it appears that Olav was such a mining supervisor, and ran the cable mineral transport system (togbanen). What else? Styrar av togbanen og åtte huseigedom på Norheim.

Also in the text:

Kari, gift fyre 1695, Guri. Does that mean married before or prior to 1695?

Bruk 1. Norheim. Baard Norheim har vore leiglending 1635 og 1641, betalte 1629 odelsskat for seg og ei gjente for 4 laup.

My translation: He was a tenant farmer from 1635 to 1641, and paid in 1629 an estate tax for himself and a girl for 4 laup. The gjente is a servant or a daugther?

David

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Jostein - Excellent. I don't know how often they run a workshop, but I clearly see the interest.

It is great to see the finished product on the roof of the house, too.

But now I am a bit confused, the finishing operation or stone cutting, is that done by the benkedrivar? I imagined that person outside mining or supervising.

What is the job title of these stone workers?

You have all been a great help.

Takk / TSM, David

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

30 minutter siden, David Rossebø Bunker skrev:

My current understanding is that hellebenk was like a mining claim or mineral / mining rights and the benkedrivar would be the supervisor of the mining operation.

Nice map, thanks.

Olav f. 1877, g. m. Anna Andersdr. Lemme og døydde 1908, dreiv stor hellebenk på Norheim, var styrar av togbanen og åtte huseigedom på Norheim.

Here it appears that Olav was such a mining supervisor, and ran the cable mineral transport system (togbanen). What else? Styrar av togbanen og åtte huseigedom på Norheim.

Also in the text:

Kari, gift fyre 1695, Guri. Does that mean married before or prior to 1695?

Bruk 1. Norheim. Baard Norheim har vore leiglending 1635 og 1641, betalte 1629 odelsskat for seg og ei gjente for 4 laup.

My translation: He was a tenant farmer from 1635 to 1641, and paid in 1629 an estate tax for himself and a girl for 4 laup. The gjente is a servant or a daugther?

David

Your "current understanding" is right.

Styrar av togbanen: Manager of the cable transport system.

åtte huseigedom: owned house property (one or more)

gift fyre: married before

The girl is most likely a servant (tho source may show this properly; although there is a possibility that the tax collector

cared more about the taxt than about the exact status of each household member).

The formulation "betalte 1629 odelsskat for seg og ei gjente for 4 laup" seems odd

"betalte 1629 odelsskat for 4 laup" makes sense (laup is a quantity of a species, probably butter, in which the property was evalueated)

The girl might appear in the "koppskatt" 1645 (a person tax, paid by the main person for all household members above a certain age (16 years?))

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 1 måned senere...
On 8/1/2022 at 9:21 PM, Jostein Stokke said:

Check this out - pls note that there are several pages 1-5

https://fotovoss.com/05-09-2021-kulturminnedagane/5/

Edited August 1 by Jostein Stokke

Meanwhile,  another day at the Hedleberg:

https://fotovoss.com/11-09-2022-kulturminnedagane/

Endret av Jostein Stokke
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider