Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Wilhelm Rosenberg from Sweden, need help with civil registration records

Joanne Rasmussen
 Del

Hello,

My family and I have been looking for more information about our ancestor, Wilhelm Rosenberg, and I am hoping that someone could assist us please. We don't know anything about where his family came from prior to his birth in Sweden in approximately 1773.

Wilhelm Rosenberg is my 4 times great grandfather who was an itinerant Swedish tailor. He was born in Sweden around 1773 but married his first wife Ane Bergithe Sivertsdatter in 1812 in Vanse parish, Vest-Agder, Norway. Their first child Hans Jacob was born in Vanse parish in 1812, and then they went back to Sweden where their daughter Maria Benedicta was born in 1814. They were back in Norway by 1816 when his children were vaccinated in Norway. We wrote to the Swedish Riksarkiv first but they had difficulty finding information on Wilhelm. This is their answer below, suggesting we ask if there is civil registration data on Wilhelm:

Hello,

In the house inquiry record in Strömstad's parish church archive, volume AI:6 p. 65, the family is crossed out - which means they have moved. Unfortunately, there is no information about where they moved. Since the daughter was born in 1814 and the length of the house inquiry extends to 1814, one can imagine that it is around the time they moved.

Unfortunately, there are no emigration records preserved for that time in Strömstad's church archives. It is also not found in Skee parish's church archives for the year 1814 (Skee was the mother parish in the pastorate, where Strömstad was an annex parish 1811-1922).

I have searched in the previous house interrogation list, Strömstad church archive AI:5, but unfortunately did not find Vilhelm Rosenberg there.

One suggestion is that you contact the Norwegian Archives and see if they have any civil registration data from when Rosenberg immigrated to Norway.

The Norwegian archives recommended we post our question to the forum.

Wilhelm's family moved often within Norway and Listaboka describes him as an itinerant tailor, so he would have been traveling for work. I realize that when we trace him using records about his wife and children that he may in fact have been somewhere else entirely, so I am hoping it's possible to find additional records on him. As far as I know, he never used the patronymic naming system regarding himself, so I wonder if he might have been of German or Jewish ancestry.

Here is the information that I have so far from the parish archives:

May 1773--Wilhelm's birth in Sweden per his age on his 1814 household examination record in Sweden. I believe his age of 45 on his marriage record with his 2nd wife in 1829 was approximate since it was less exact

5 May 1812--marriage to first wife Ane Bergithe Sivertsdatter

Vanse parish, Vest-Agder, Norway

He is listed as from Sweden, she is listed as from Bergen, witnesses are from Rastad and Welle

30 May 1812--birth of son Hans Jacob Wilhelmsen
Velle farm, Vanse parish, Vest-Agder, Norway

7 Dec 1814--birth of daughter Maria Benedicta Wilhelmsdatter
Stromstad parish, Goteborg och Bohus, Vastragotlands, Sweden

I found the birth record in Strömstad parish, Goteborg och Bohus, Sweden, but can't locate it at this moment.

1814-household examination in 1814 lists Maria Benedicta so must have been shortly after her birth in December 1814. Their other child Hans Jacob is not listed.
Strömstad, Goteborg och Bohus, Vastragotlands, Sweden
Strömstads kyrkoarkiv, Husförhörslängder, SE/GLA/13509/A I/6 (1812-1814) - Riksarkivet - Sök i arkiven

Strömstads kyrkoarkiv, Husförhörslängder, SE/GLA/13509/A I/6 (1812-1814)...

16 Oct 1816--family back in Norway per vaccination record for Hans Jacob and Maria Benedicta (number 429 and 430)
Wandsøe parish, Vest-Agder, Norway

22 Sep1817--birth of daughter Ingeborg Kristine Wilhelmsdatter
Meberg farm, Vanse parish, Vest-Agder, Norway

approximately 1820-- Per Listaboka vol 2 s. 778 angående N. Nordhassel, «Anne Katrine Villumsdtr Tjørve var datter av den svenske skredderen Villum Rosenberg, som sjøl bodd i Domhuset ei tid omkring 1820 (Se Vere).»

30 Jul 1820--birth of son Syvert Andreas Wilhelmsenilhelmsen
Nordhassel farm, Vanse parish, Vest-Agder, Norway

24 Oct 1821--death of first wife Ane Bergithe Sivertsdatter
listed in Vanse parish, Ane Bergithe only, no last name or age and she is crossed out but matches time frame between birth of her last child and Wilhelm's remarriage in 1823. I also can't read the note in the far right column?

29 Oct 1823--marriage to second wife Signe Margrethe Andersdatter Nordberg
Vanse parish, Vest-Agder, Norway. Wilhelm does not have a farm indicated after the name Rosenberg

17 May 1825--birth of son Wilhelm Andreas Wilhelmsen
Raastad farm, Vanse parish, Vest-Agder, Norway

9 Sep 1827--vaccination of son Wilhelm Andreas Wilhelmsen
Waxvold farm, Vanse parish, Vest-Agder, Norway

28 Sep 1828--confirmation of son Hans Jacob Wilhelmsen
Voxvold farm, Vanse parish, Vest-Agder, Norway

5 or 15 Feb 1829--birth of daughter Ane Catrine Wilhelmsdatter
Tjørve farm, Vanse parish, Vest-Agder, Norway

Ministerialbok lists her as Ane Katrine born 5 Feb 1829 with no farm name, and Klokkerbok lists her as Ane Catrine born 15 February at Tjørve farm

18 Jul 1829--vaccination for Ane Catrine Wilhelmsdatter
Tjørve farm, Vanse parish, Vest-Agder, Norway

20 Feb 1831--death of son Hans Jacob Rosenberg
Listaboka says that he drowned on Haale. Parish record lists Haale as his birthplace

11 Apr 1831--confirmation of Maria Benedicta Wilhelmsdatter
states she was born in Stromstad, Sweden, If there is other location information I can't read it.

7 Oct 1832--confirmation of daughter Ingeborg Christine Wilhelmsdatter
Midhasselvoldene farm, Vanse parish, Vest-Agder, Norway

21 Sep 1833--birth of son Abraham Vilhelmsen
Midhasselvoldene farm, Vanse parish, Vest-Agder, Norway

13 Jun 1838--vaccination of son Abraham Wilhelmsen
Midhassel farm, Vanse parish, Vest-Agder, Norway

5 May 1839--confirmation of son Wilhelm Andreas Wilhelmsen
Voxvold farm, Vanse parish, Vest-Agder, Norway

15 Oct 1843--confirmation of daughter Ane Catrine

8 Nov 1843--death of Wilhelm Rosenberg

Skiftemateriale: Lyngdal sorenskriveri, SAK/1221-0004/H/Ha/L0835/0002: Dødsfallsprotokoller / Dødsfallsfortegnelse, 1842-1848, s. 10b-11a

Skiftemateriale: Lyngdal sorenskriveri, SAK/1221-0004/H/Ha/L0835/0002: D...

2 Mar 1866--death of wife Signe Margarethe Andersdatter Nordberg

Nordhassel, Vanse parish, Vest-Agder, Norway

Parish registry: Lista sokneprestkontor, SAK/1111-0027/F/Fb/L0003: Parish register (copy) no. B 3, 1862-1877, p. 420

Parish registry: Lista sokneprestkontor, SAK/1111-0027/F/Fb/L0003: Paris...

Civil death record for Signe
3 Mar 1866
Skiftemateriale: Lyngdal sorenskriveri, SAK/1221-0004/H/Ha/L0835/0005: Dødsfallsprotokoller / Dødsfallsprotokoll, 1862-1899, s. 14b-15a

Skiftemateriale: Lyngdal sorenskriveri, SAK/1221-0004/H/Ha/L0835/0005: D...

Listaboka volume 1 page 58 by Kaare Rudjord states that Wilhelm was a tailor born in Sweden and includes dates for his marriages and the births of his children.

I did not find the vaccination record for Ingeborg Kristine, but all Wilhelm's other children were vaccinated in Vanse parish. I don't know if this means they were outside of Vanse parish at the time Ingeborg was small?

I have not definitively found Ane Bergithe Sivertsdatter's birth record either. Just because her marriage record said she was "from Bergen" and born approximately 1781 does that mean that she was actually born in Bergen? I didn't find a record of her moving into Vanse parish either.

Anything you could tell us about Wilhelm and/or Ane Bergithe that would help us trace their movements or ancestry from Norway back to Sweden would be so much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

Joanne

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

41 minutes ago, Joanne Rasmussen said:

24 Oct 1821--death of first wife Ane Bergithe Sivertsdatter
listed in Vanse parish, Ane Bergithe only, no last name or age and she is crossed out but matches time frame between birth of her last child and Wilhelm's remarriage in 1823. I also can't read the note in the far right column?

Lista sokneprestkontor, SAK/1111-0027/F/Fa/L0007: Parish register (official) no. A 7, 1816-1823, p. 106
Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20060102020859

The note says:

Giordemoder Madam Kampf

The death was reported by midwife Madam Kampf. Apparently Ane Bergithe died in childbirth

Endret av Matthias Kolberg
Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

1 hour ago, Joanne Rasmussen said:

7 Dec 1814--birth of daughter Maria Benedicta Wilhelmsdatter
Stromstad parish, Goteborg och Bohus, Vastragotlands, Sweden

I found the birth record in Strömstad parish, Goteborg och Bohus, Sweden, but can't locate it at this moment.

LÄNK

https://sok.riksarkivet.se/bildvisning/C0042315_00166

KÄLLHÄNVISNING

Strömstads kyrkoarkiv, Födelse- och dopböcker, SE/GLA/13509/C/3 (1787-1859), bildid: C0042315_00166, sida 307

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

2 hours ago, Joanne Rasmussen said:

I have not definitively found Ane Bergithe Sivertsdatter's birth record either. Just because her marriage record said she was "from Bergen" and born approximately 1781 does that mean that she was actually born in Bergen? I didn't find a record of her moving into Vanse parish either.

There is a candidate in Borgund (today’s Ålesund), baptized on September 10, 1781. This part of Møre og Romsdal (Sunnmøre) was part of Bergen stiftsamt (“diocese”)

Top right,

Sivert Olsen Svinsætts Datter N Ane Birgitha

Ministerialprotokoller, klokkerbøker og fødselsregistre - Møre og Romsdal, SAT/A-1454/528/L0392: Parish register (official) no. 528A03, 1762-1800, p. 190
Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070903610283

Sivert Olsen Svinsetts Hustrue (wife) Ingeborg Christina Diche

was “introduced” on October 14, 1781

Ministerialprotokoller, klokkerbøker og fødselsregistre - Møre og Romsdal, SAT/A-1454/528/L0393: Parish register (official) no. 528A04, 1762-1800, p. 318
Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070903610418

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I think it is worth noticing that there were a handful of other Rosenberg tailors in various Norwegian towns at the same time. Maybe William was related to one or more of these, although he spent some time in Sweden.

Mester Skræder Mads Rosenberg (born 1773) in Porsgrunn, Telemark 

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/census/person/pf01051203001266

Skræddersvend (apprentice) Jens Rosenberg (born 1772) also in Porsgrunn in 1815

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/census/person/pf01051202000611

Probably the same Jens Petter Madsen Rosenberg in Skien in 1801

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/census/person/pf01058303000357

Mads Pedersen Rosenberg (born 1733) in Skien in 1801 is likely the father of the two above.

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/census/person/pf01058303000362

Another son Niels Madsen Rosenberg (born 1777)

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/census/person/pf01058303000364

possibly the same Skræddermester Niels Rosenberg who buried a son in Kristiansand, Vest-Agder, in 1813

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/267/pg00000001607871

And there is also a Skræddermester Olai Rosenberg in Bergen, who baptized a son in 1823

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/255/pd00000007312823

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider