Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

Help with translation

Peggy Stanley
 Del

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for some help in translating my grandfather's birth record. His name was Kristian Evard Jenssen, born 12/12/1885 in Trondheim. Here is a link to the scanned record (Page 91, line 22)

http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=2345&idx_id=2345&uid=ny&idx_side=-97

It is very difficult to read, but I believe his father was Jens Jenssen(b.1851) and his mother was Inga Marie Ronning (b.1866). What I would love to know, if anyone can read it, is where his parents were born and what it says in column 9 and column 11 - possibly some additional family names - so that I can try to find out what happened to his parents, who I believe never married.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You, Peggy

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Your link is not working. I'm sorry that the Archive institution -- for performance reasons -- has decided to present you with a link in the address field of your browser that is useless for more than thirty minutes, but that's the way it is. You have to click on the "Image information" button at the top, then select "On top". You will then see a field with some text like this:

Source information: Telemark county, Solum, Parish register (official) nr. I 4 (1814-1833), Confirmation records 1825, page 259.

Permanent pagelink: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=1411&idx_id=1411&uid=ny&idx_side=-282

Permanent imagelink: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20051005041320.jpg

Copy the text from the line that starts with "Permanent pagelink" and paste it into your request. You will now have created a link that the rest of us may be able to follow.

Yes, it's terribly awkward. At the time, this is the best that the National archives of Norway can afford. Be happy because you can access the church records of Norway for free :)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank You!

No wonder when I tried to save them in my favorites they wouldn't work!

I hope I did it right now. Really appreciate the input!

And I do so appreciate that we can access these records for free - it's awesome!!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Here's a transcript:

Born 12 DEC 1885, chr. at home (1?)6 FEB 1886, confirmed in church 18 APR 1886: Kristian Edvard. Parents: Ungk. Handelsreisende Jens Jenssen born 1851, pige Inga Maria Rønning born 23 MAR 1866.

He is an illegitimate child, as his parents are written as Ungk(arl) and pige. (Bachelor and maid respectively.) «Handelsreisende» is a travelling salesman.

I'm totally unable to read their addresses, somebody from the Trondheim area has to step in.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you!

So what's recorded is their addresses, not their birth parish. If the other things I've found on my great-grandmother are correct, she was still in Trondheim in 1900, but not with a husband or any other children. My grandfather, who was 15 at the time, is in Trondheim also, but not living with his mother. It says he's living at a Bath House or Bath Club. In 1904 he came to America. In the 1910 census it looks like Inga has moved to Bergen and in 1911 she has died, still unmarried. I thought for sure my grandfather had siblings so maybe they were half siblings through his dad. My parents had me later in life and my grandfather died when I was just three so, sadly, I don't remember him, but it seems like he might have had a tough childhood. I guess I'm just thinking out loud here! Thanks so much for your help! :)

Is there anyone who I could contact that could potentially try to read the actual document? I was thinking that if some of the other names could be identified it would help me know for sure if I find there names in other records.

Thanks again!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

You may get a lot more help with your family if you post in the main forum, «Brukernes eget forum» or Users' own forum. This forum is kind of backstreet, it's primarily for communication with the admins. Make a summary and refer to this thread, and I almost guarantee that your family will be found.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you - you've been very helpful!

I had emailed the people at digitalarkivet and they suggested this forum. Both of my father's parents and my maternal grandmother were from Norway. I was blessed to be able to visit Norway this past September and went to Vestnes, where my mother's mother was from. I hadn't been able to discover where my father's parents were from at that point, so now that I am making some headway there, I hope to come back at some point. It was such an awesome experience and I loved Norway. The only grandparent I remember is my father's mother and most of my memories of her she was in a nursing home. So every discovery is like getting to know them a little bit.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I had emailed the people at digitalarkivet and they suggested this forum.

I consider that a bit strange. You will get a lot more help in the main forum.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Berit, dette er glimrende :) Peggy har nettopp (på min oppfordring) postet spørsmål om familien sin på hovedforumet i en ny tråd. Det hadde vært veldig fint om vi fikk flyttet all ny info over dit. (Tips: Hvis du åpner opp innlegget ditt for redigering og kopierer alt, kan du enkelt lime det inn i et svar i den nye tråden.)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider