Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#1308] "i Huuset"

Gjest Richard Hellesen
 Del

Gjest Richard Hellesen

I have come across this notation several times when looking through Marriages in Bergen from the 18th Century. I understand that it means the couple were married in a ceremony in a home rather than in a church. My question is: why? Obviously the marriages were registered with the authorities, but what are the likely (or possible) reasons for doing this? Who would most likely have conducted the wedding(s)? Thanks in advance for your insights! RH

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Inge Eikeland

To marry at home was a sign of wealth. It was expensive and only wealthy people could afford it. The priest then came home to them and married them there.The prices for weddings also varied when you were married in church. It was cheaper in the morning than later.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per Helge Seglsten

Does "fropreken" then mean that the couple was married in the morning at a cheaper rate?Per Helge Seglsten

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Richard Hellesen

Thank you! Would I then be correct in assuming that the families in Bergen c. 18th century who repeatedly were married at home were likely to have been the more successful merchants (etc.) in the city, particularly in light of the international trading conducted out of Bergen?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jan Oldervoll

They could, but as in any city there were several sources of wealth. But you should be able to find the persons in one of the censuses and thus see their occupation.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.