Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#1374] Meaning of forste AEgteskab

Gjest Ronald DeWitt
 Del

Gjest Ronald DeWitt

In the 1865 census I have found an entry of potential interest to me for which the household status is listed as "Konens Son af forste AEgteskab". I gather that it means son by a first marriage, but I would like to better understand what appears to be an allusion to a sea god. I hope my naive transcription of Norwegian letters leaves the phrase intellible. Also, am I correct in assuming that Utvaare is the same as Udvaare, where in the second instance the "aa" replaces an "a" with an overlying "o". I believe it refers to an island offshore from Spangereid.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Yngve Nedrebø

Your assumption is correct, it means "the son of the wife from her first marriage". Ægteskab=marriage.The answer to your second question must also be yes. "Ut" often would be written "Ud", and "aa" now will be written "å" in most connections (some family names do keep the old form).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.