Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#1487] Birth names

Gjest David Vinge
 Del

Gjest David Vinge

Fellow researchers, I wouldn't call myself a genealogist but I think I am a pretty good researcher. I have a question that shows my ignorance about Norwegian genealogy. In general it is, How do you keep track of name changes for someone? or maybe it should be is it necessary (Yes, especially for future generations!)I believe that my family name came from the farm in Leksvik where my great-great grandfather was born. Peter Andersen was born in 1833 to Anders Nielsen Wingetroen and Ane Marta Johnsdatter Langaas. But Anders Nielsen was born to Niels Nielsen Tronstad and Anne Marta Larsdatter Grande in 1791. How I know they are the same person - I forgot but I believe the confirmation and marriage record bears that out. Peter moved to Trondheim and was know as Peter Andersen at his marriage and in the 1865 census. In 1875 he is Petter Winge. Strangely, he moved away from the family farm and he is the only one of his siblings to use the Vinge name. As usual(?) when his siblings married they took the last name of the farm that they then resided on. How would you keep track(enter) of the names in the genealogy program? Suggestions, please! Since all my ancestors came from Norway on both parents sides, I need some advice! I wouldn't want to wreak havoc on my Viking ancestry!! UFFDA! I am having some difficulty with my ancestors that came from the Gausdal area. Maybe I just have to get used to the farm names. Another question : If at marriage the column for residence for bride and groom are the same, would that mean that they were living together before the marriage or that is where they would be living after the marriage? Thank goodness for the Digitalarkivet because it has assisted me in cross-referencing with the parish records to make sure I have the right person. Thank-you for any assistance you can provide me with. Sincerely David Vinge

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristian Hunskaar

There was no law in Norway which regulated use of surnames until 1923. Therefore, you just have to deal with different surnames for the same person.In my genealogy program I never use farm-names as names, only peoples patronymics. That is because I regard the farmnames only as "adresses". As you have seen; "adresses" could change. In the late 1800s, people began to use familynames such as Vinge. They often took the name from the farm they came from or lived on. From this point, I may use farm-names as surnames in my program. Besides, in towns etc. the habit of using familynames began earlier than at the countryside.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristian Fjeldsgård

I would recommend you to use "farm" names as surname because it's easier to track your ancestors. Ole Pedersen don't mean anything, but Ole Pedersen Vinge does. Choose your form depending on which program you use, possibility to add alternate names, and search them in the index.You may allso write your surnames/farmnames on a form like this:Vinge/Stensland/Fjeldsgård, meaning born at Vinge, worked and lived at Stensland, and married and died at Fjeldsgård. It's also easier to give help to people from USA when they add known farmnames, and parish/area.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest David Vinge

Thanks Kristian, That is what I have been doing except that I use () instead of /. I was wondering how Norwegians keep track and there is a real variety. I think I will add the names under notes at the birth, marriage etc. Thanks again. David

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.