Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#1617] English Translations, Please!

Gjest Pearl Danroth
 Del

Gjest Pearl Danroth

I would like a translation for the following occupations or yrke - "Øelhandler" (listed in the 1865 Census) and "Restaurateur og johnsen" (listed in the 1875 Census). Thanks!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kate Øren

"Ølhandler" means "beer tradesman" - a person who is buying and selling beer."Restaurateur og johnsen"??? This seems weird..."Restauratør" means restaurant keeper.But "johnsen"?? That's a surname.....

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Pearl Danroth

The only explanation I can see for the surname of "johnsen" being added to the name "restaurateur" is that living in the same "domicile" is a man by the name of Ole Johnsen whose occupation is listed as "restauratør og gaardeier". I thought maybe one was the owner and the other the manager???

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Terje Hatvik

At glance, your assumption seems to be correct. The word "gaardeier" means proprietor, owner of the estate/building etc. The "restauratør" is then logically the manager. But then again, it may one and the same guy, since "Johnson" obviously is an error. Could it be that whoever made this entry was thinking of the proprietor and by a "slip of the pen" accidentally entered the surname of the individual in question instead of his profession/title? I mean, accidents do occur -.However, this as only "qualified guessing".Regards, Terje Hatvik

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.