Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#1842] Second households in the 1900 Census

Gjest Patricia Carlsen Mikkelsen
 Del

In the 1891 Census, my great grandmother was receiving public assistance ("fattigvæsenet"). I believe it is possible that in 1900, she and her 13 year old daughter may have been living in a home for the poor. I read that these "second households" are now included in the 1900 Census. Is there a way that I can search these households specifically? How are they identified in the census?Thank you for any assistance Patricia

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kjell Hamberg

The second households are included in the 1900 census. If you look at the information for the 1900 census and look up the link "About the new version", you'll find what you're looking for!mvh Kjell H

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hello Kjell,Yes, I have read this section. I understand that the "second households" are included in the 1900 census. I was wondering if there is some way for me to recognize these households, within the 1900 Census. Is there some particular wording to look for, that would tell me this? Are these households numbered or labeled in any special way, so that I may look for them?I appreciate your assistance... Patricia

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kjell Hamberg

From what I can see, there's no particlualr term or ID that can identify the second households as such and make them stand out. It says in the information remarks that the lists for the second households have been woven into the complete census lists.After having looked through lists in some of the municipalities for which second households are included, it seems that you must know norwegian to be able to recognize them. And, since there's no list that tells exactly what criteria that make a household become "second", the task becomes somewhat complicated, even for norwegians. I haven't seen one. Neither have I seen for which municipalities (159 out of 482) the second households have been included.You can find the different terms used to identify households under the search criteria: "Våningshus" or "vaaningshus" in the census.Did this make things more clear or did I only confuse you?Kjell H

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

No, you did not confuse me! But I think, now, I understand that this is a more difficult task than I had hoped. I wonder if there are key words to look for under the "Våningshus" criteria? If you know of any, I would appreciate if you could write them to me. Anyway, I thank you for responding..Patricia

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.