Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#1915] Parishes in Norway

Gjest Kenn Nordan
 Del

Gjest Kenn Nordan

Over the past year I've seen a number of lists of people. For example "baptised in Manger 1816-1880" I assume that Manger is a parish, but I'm not sure from what kommune or fylke. For those who are looking into specific parishes, they would know to use or bypass this list right away. But, I don't know the name of the parish next to the one I'm looking into or one a couple of hours away by boat. I have a name but I'm not sure of the place they came from but knowing nearby parishes could help locate possible people in a list. Does a Database or set of maps exist that may help me to see the proximity of one parish or kommune to another?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Christopher John Harris

You have pinpointed a problem that some other users, especially those outside Norway, may have experienced, and the short answer is "No". But there are various aids, some in the Digitalarkivet, that you can use. The staff at the Digitalarkivet have now started putting the name of the county after the new source materials which are being put out, so the users can find the parish/municipality after clicking on the "Municipalities at time of source" or "Present Municipalities". It is a problem that parish and "kommune" boundaries, as well as areas of jurisdiction, have changes several times. Indeed some have been amalgamated into other areas or the names changed totally beyond recognition. At present there are no maps on the Web showing older municipality or parish boundaries, but that is something being worked on. Maps for some areas do exist, and the staff are working on the copyright problem. However there is a modern map available in the Digitalarkivet, and this can be help when trying to see where a place is located. The map search tool will not recognize placenames where the spelling has been modernised. This is especially the case for the Norwegian letter "æ" which has usually been replaced by "e", i.e. Mangersnæs is now Mangersnes. You have to be creative here ! You will find the map if you click on the "Source categories" - "censuses" - "1900" or "1865". If you have a farmname, you can obtain a frequency list. You are then only a click away from the list showing the number of counties and farms with the name you have typed. Click on the county, then the farm name, and you will see the census for that year. At the bottom of the page is a MaponWeb searching aid with ""søk etter kart". Click here and you see a window with a map detail showing where the farm is. The map will be too detailed for you at first, but by clicking on the minus button, it will zoom out. Click two or three times and you will see a map showing the area with some of the neighbouring districts. It is not perfect, but it can be of help.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kenn Nordan

I followed your instructions and received the following: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e37'[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot find the input table or query 'SOGNOGFJORDANE1'. Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly./MapOnWeb/adresser/locate.asp, line 50

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Isn't it typical - the maps worked perfectly yesterday, but today for some reason, maybe the suppliers server, they are not functioning. Some counties seem to be Ok but not Sogn og Fjordane, and I have problems with Rogaland. I have tried directly through the suppliers website, and also experience problems. However the Digitalarkivet staff have now scanned some maps with parish boundaries, church sites etc. and they will be put out shortly - maybe starting today. They should help. Be patient.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kenn Nordan

As an American it's hard to be patient, but I'm learning. First from friends in Ireland and now from my family in Norway. I'm looking for Bruflat farm in Naustdal, I think I found the mountain milking location but the farm itself could be gone.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Geir Kristian Eide

I cannot help you what maps concern ,however this website :Lenke be help you localizing the parrishes/subparrishes .Unfortunately the website is in norwegian only.The info is refering to the churchrecords (Kirkebøker in norwegian).Concerning Naustdal it is a subparrish to Førde parrish in Sogn og Fjordane at the 1900 census.Bruflat is spelled Bruflot at the above mentioned census.Regards Geir K Eide

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

The map pages are almost ready. As regards Brufloten in Naustdal, it is the neighbouring farm to Fimland, Slettemark and Teigen, if you have a modern map. The farm exists today, although some of the holdings have been amalgamated, and there are now two farms being worked. The history of the farm and families at Brufloten is described in the relatively new "Naustdal Bygdebok" vol. 2 ( 1997)(ISBN 82-91462-03-8) by Geir Kleiveland. We could always send you some photostats if you wish. Otherwise a very useful link for this county is the county archives in Sogn and Fjordane ( Fylkesarkivet i Sogn og Fjordane) which you wil find on the link page.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 1 måned senere...
Gjest Kenn Nordan

Mange takk. I have called Vesterheim and they have a copy of the Bygdebok. I will use that as a source for Brufloten Farm information. I will also contact Sogn archives to see if they have pictures or other information about the farm. Otherwise, I'll wait for the new maps to become available.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnfinn Småli

Prøvde å ta en utskrift av kartet over Nordland fylke, men uansett hvordan jeg forsøkte, fikk jeg bare ut fylkesoversikten på venstre side. Skulle gjerne hatt denne i "fast form", men lar det seg gjøre?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kenn Nordan

If you are having trouble printing. Klick on the map portion of the page before using the "Print" option on the File Menu. This will get the browser current on the picture. If this does not work try "right clicking" on the map and save the file to your hard drive and use another product to open and print.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.