Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#1919] Ship passenger lists

Gjest Erling Erickson
 Del

Gjest Erling Erickson

When I last used the Digital Archive (1999) there was a link to lists of passengers on ships leaving various ports in Norway for the United States. I was able to locate the ship that my great-great grandfather and his family used for passage to the USA. Now I find that the link no longer exists on the Digital Archive and the URL I used then does not work. Does anyone know if such passenger lists are still on the internet and, if so, the URL. Thanks.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Anette Skogseth Clausen

Since 1999 a lot of emigration protocols have been registered from all the central departure cities in Norway, there has also been added two more databases of ships' lists. You can find all the emigration material if you select 'source categories' from the bottom menu, and click on 'emigrants' on the list. Now you will see four subfolders with emigration material, the text to the right gives you some information on the various material.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Erling Erickson

To Anette Skogseth Clausen: Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, the ship passenger list I was looking for was not included. However, just today I found it. The website has a link to "Emigrants from Kristiania, Kristiansand and Stavenger harbors" (. This is the website I used in 1999 to find the ship on which my paternal grandfather left Norway. However, when clicking on "Emigrants from Kristiania, Kristiansand and Stavenger habors" I get the message "ukjent fil" (unknown file?). If anyone has information concerning this uib (U. of Bergen) website it would be appreciated.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

These databases you are referring to have been replaced by more accurate and complete databases. The databases we now have open for search are those based on the emigration protocols from the different harbours (choose 'protocols' from the submenu). You will see that Oslo/Kristiania, Kristiansand and Stavanger are split into separate databases. The emigration material is still not complete, but we hope the registration work is ended sometime this year, but you will find more passengers in these databases, than those you found in 1999. If you, for some reason, are having trouble finding the persons you are looking for, please let us know.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Erling Erickson

To Annette Skogseth Clausen: Thank you for the information. It was very helpful and I have now been able to access the passenger records from Oslo. I have not yet found my ancestors but I certain that I will soon.I want to expres my profound appreciation to you and others at the Archives for all you have done. I have been able (because of your work) to trace my ancestors back to the 18th century. Please know that there are many of us who really appreciate your work.Could I please ask another question. In the 1865 census there is a listing of farm crops (rye, barley, mixture, oats, peas, and potatoes). Michael Drake, "Getting into the Norwegian Census" ([url="http://www.rhd.uit.no/nhdc/michael102.html>http://www.rhd.uit.no/nhdc/michael102.html) states that the quantity listed (of grain) was what was sowed. On the other hand, John Follesdal, "Norwegian Census Records" (

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you for your kind words.In the instructions for the 1865 census the word "utsæd" is consequently used when referring to the farm crops, and the correct translation of that word is sown crops. So I support Michael Drake's interpretation.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.