Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#3224] Jean E. de Chezaulx Abel (1792 Skaanevig -1859 Ber

Gjest Elizabeth Abel
 Del

Gjest Elizabeth Abel

I would like some help finding the parents of Jean Etienne de Chezaulx Abel f. 1792 in Skaanevig. The digital archive has several references to him after 1801, but nothing of his birth. I hope the following information helps:- from his name, I assume he is a grandson of the Royal French consul in Bergen, Jean Etienne de Chezaulx (1723 France - 1799 Bergen) and Wenche Jacobine Thomasdtr von der Lippe (1735-1767 Bergen). Perhaps his father is Jean Francois de Chezaulx (1767 Bergen - ?), the youngest son of the consul.- 1792-1801 maybe Jean was orphaned and left in the care of the Skaanevig minister, Mathias Hanssen Abel and his wife Christine Karine Geelmuyden. During this time, Mathias Hanssen Abel died. Christine Karine Geelmuyden may be a cousin of Jean's father, as there is a connection between the Geelmuydens and von der Lippes.- the 1801 census lists Jean as the 9-year-old child of Christine Karine Geelmuyden.- After this time, Jean is in Bergen, and uses the family name "Abel", which I assume is in honour of his adoptive parents.I would like to know about Jean's parents: names, birth and deaths, and the parents of his mother.Thank you for any help!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Yngve Nedrebø

Jean Etienne d Chezaulx Abel was baptised Oct. 24, 1792 in Skånevik. The minister does not list the names of his parents (nor did he do that on the other kids baptised). But the child obviously was the son of the minister himself, and his wife. So the child is born and baptised Abel, and not adopted (legal adoption in Norway was not introduced till 1917).To be given the full first-name of a distant relative, or of a close friend of the family, was a kind of custom. It was meant to honour the original holder of the name.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Elizabeth Abel

Once again, thank you so much Yngve! You are so helpful. I appreciate very much the time you have taken to explain this. Mange takk!!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.