Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#3670] Searching the 1865 Norwegian Census

Gjest Gary Morgan
 Del

Gjest Gary Morgan

I am trying to help a friend find his Norwegian roots. I thought that I could go to the 1865 Norwegian census, input a first name, and then narrow the search by inputting the last name. So far I have been unable to find a Thomas Nelson, who was born in 1851, and came to the US in 1872. They may have been from a farm named "Skutly," however, I can find nothing for that name. Can anyone help me?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Yngve Nedrebø

Could "Skutly" be the Skutle farm in Voss. However, no Thomas Nelson there in 1865. But many Norwegians changed their names after immigrating to America, so Thomas may have used another name on his emigration. Do you know the exact date of birth? And do you know where he settled in America (most Norwegians stayed with people from the same area in Norway)?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per Helge Seglsten

If the Skutle farm is right, there might have been a Thomas (or something that was changed to Thomas in the USA) Nilsen at the farm Skutle øvre. Guro Godtskalksdatter is living there with her daughter, who is named Nilsdatter. If Guro had sons, they might have been working on farms nearby. The Voss parish registers might tell for sure.Per Helge

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest tom askeroi

hi I too found this exiting. In the 1865 census there are no farm called skutly. But as above helpers have found out there are som called "Skutle" in Voss - and american pronounciation for this writing could very well be "skutly". Nobody in Norway was named Nelson in 1865. But it was an easy way to change Ni(e)lsson ("son-of-Ni(e)ls") into american. Thomas is, in fact a norwegian name, but it can also have been changed from any non-english sounding name, probably beginning with T. There are nobody at the Skutle farms with the initials TN in 1865, so if the farm is the right one - he has moved. Searching for TNs in the rest of Voss, aged 13-14-15 gives you two alternatives: On "Sæve" you have 14 year old Thorbjørn Niels. and his family and on "Grane" you have 14 year old Thorsten Niels. and his family. Take your pick... (But the Skutle people could have moved out of the district, "Thomas Nelson" could have been a foster child at Skutle and lots of other possibilities). Do you know if he had any siblings? So, in the end, it wasn't that easy at all. Sorry this help wasn't much help after all. Yours Tom Askeroi

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.