Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#3717] Military Records

Gjest Jim Bayard
 Del

Gjest Jim Bayard

I am trying to find out how it is possible to find out information relating to military service. Specifically, I am trying to find out about the military service of Jens Pedersen Mørk (Mørck), who was an Artillerieserjeant from 1847-1851. I believed that he served for a longer period, but if anyone can provide me with advice as to where I can find this information, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance for your help.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ebbe Bielefeldt

In 1865-tellingen there are a Jens Pedersen Mørk,(15677) born in Nittedalen, age 48, he is Commandersergeant. Perhaps it is not the same person you are looking for.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jim Bayard

Thank you for your assistance. It is the same person, and I believe that his career was in the military. However, the primary reason that I was trying to find out where I could get the military records is because I was trying to determine when he enlisted. The bygdebok for Nittedal and Håkedal in Akershus only indicates that he was born in 1818 and traveled to Bergen. I know that he was married to Helene Petrine Pedersen and had three children with her, but I was not sure when he arrived in Bergen and enlisted. In addition, I was not sure of the system of ranks in the Norwegian military, ie the difference between Artllieriesergeant and Commandersergeant. Thank you again for your help.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ebbe Bielefeldt

I have speciel interest in the danish/norvegian artilleri around 1750-1850. In that period the artilleri used the titel commandersergent for a sergent who were in charge of other sergents. I have notised a commandersergent who was in charge of a compagni of 112 craftsmen.(norvay 1802). As this may be is too special for this forum you can mail me at: ebbe@teliamail.dk

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per B. Lilje

The rank structure for noncommissioned officers in the Norwegian Army was changed totally in the early 19th century and then again in the 1920s. Between ca 1820 and 1925, there were 4 NCO ranks, sersjant (sergeant), furer, kommandersersjant and fanejunker/stykkjunker (spelling differing with time). "artillerisersjant" just means sergeant of the artillery. The highest ordinary NCO rank was "kommandersersjant" (I am not sure what this is equivalent to in e.g. the US, maybe Sergeant First Class?). All "kommendersjant"s who had served in that rank for 10 years were promoted to the honorary higher rank, which had different names according to which branch of the army one was in (e.g. "fanejunker" in the infantry, "stykkjunker" in the artillery, "stabsfanejunker" for one who served in the Army's general staff).Before ca. 1820 the artillery had its own NCO ranks which were very different from the infantry and cavalry. If I remember right, the lowest was "bombarder", then came "overbombarder" while the highest was "fyrverker" (In the early 18th century and earlier, "fyrverker" was the lowest commissioned officer rank).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ebbe Bielefeldt

In 1803 the artillery was reformed. A compagny had 5 officers, 18 NCO, 2 hornblovers and 214 men. The 18 NGO was 1 kommandersergent 1 fourer 8 sergents and 8 bombarders. The 214 men were 74 artillerister and 140 horsedrivers.A artillericompagni had about 300 horses.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 år senere...
Gjest Jim Bayard

I wanted to ask if anyone can advise as to how I can find the military record or unit of my ancestor, Jens Pedersen Mörk. I am not very knowledgeable about I can locate this information.Thank you for your your help.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.