Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#4960] Another translation please.

Gjest Meg Lambalot
 Del

Gjest Per Håkon Christiansen

It is correct what Knut Bryn said, that a "jomfru" is a "maid", an unmarried woman. The word is, literally, a "virgin", but is used in the sense of "maid." On the other hand I am not so certain that this means that she cannot have had a child. My g-g-grandfather had a child two months after his marriage, with a woman not his wife, and was classified as "ungkar", or "unmarried man" at the time of the childbirth. Confusing, but experts told me that it was his status as unmarried at the time when he made the girl pregnant which counted, and his later marriage could not change that. But to what extent it was common to call a woman a Jomfru if she was unmarried but had a child outside marriage is something I do not know. I hope somebody can tell. Maybe there is some sex discrimination there, and she would be called Kone regardless? (Kone=married woman, but perhaps someone unmarried with a child would also be "Kone"?)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Berit Knudsen

A Jomfru is a title. It has nothing to do with if she is a virgin or not. The title Jomfru is not used on farmergirls, servants, they are called pike. The father of a Jomfru must be a little higher up in the social system.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Terje Hatvik

With reference to the latter: The personnel employed at a hotel, boardinghouses or similar conducting domestic tasks (i.e. cleaning the dormitories, rooms etc.) were normally called 'stuepiker' in Norwegian, translated to 'chambermaids' in English; regardless of the employée's sex. (But the overall majority was - not surprisingly -girls/younger women).Unfortunately, I do not remember todays political correct and thus non-discriminatory term in Norwegian (obviously a long time since I frequented a hotel), but if my memory serves me right the current norwegian term is neutral whereas sex/gender are concerned.Regards, Terje Hatvik

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Meg Lambalot

Well she was the head person of the farm in question and was 61 years old, her first name is missing, only her patrynomic listed. It was her age and patrynomic that made her a canidate. However, my great-great-great grandmother had 4 children, presumedly from the same man, also presumed to be her husband, and she was a midwife.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Berit Knudsen

It would be easier to help you if you could tell us her name, age/date and in which part of Norway she lived. Maybe the names of her children.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Meg Lambalot

I know Berit, I'm sorry. This originally started out as a translation request. I'm looking in Sor-Trondelag during 1865 census. Her name was Anne Margrethe Svensdatter, daughter of Sven Larsen and Anne Margrethe Olsd. Egeland, born 1805 in Stavanger Amt or Rogaland, married Erik Pålsen (presumedly from Stavanger Amt also). Their 1st child was Pocianus Sebaldus, born 1832 in Stavanger Amt, he was living at Korshavn, Fillan, Hitteren during the 1865 census. Next was Mina born 1834, possibly in Stadsbyd, she was married to Ole Olsen and living on Hafelden farm, Ritsen, Stadsbygd in 1865. Then Anne Magrette born 1835 in Stadsbygd, she was married to Ole Olsen (from Denstad) and living on Bjorgum farm, Stadsbygd in 1865. These are my great-great grandparents. Finally Emilie, born 1839 Stadsbygd, living as a servent on Fallum farm, Ritsen, Stadsbygd, in 1865. Anne Margrethe and Erik could and probably were dead by 1865, but I keep looking for her. She was a midwife (jordmoder) and someone once told me he was a baker. That same person also told me that he was from Våland. I don't really know when or were Erik was born and so can't even try to locate his family in 1801 or 1865.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Meg Lambalot

I know Berit, I'm sorry. This originally started out as a translation request. I'm looking in Sor-Trondelag during 1865 census. Her name was Anne Margrethe Svensdatter, daughter of Sven Larsen and Anne Margrethe Olsd. Egeland, born 1805 in Stavanger Amt or Rogaland, married Erik Pålsen (presumedly from Stavanger Amt also). Their 1st child was Pocianus Sebaldus, born 1832 in Stavanger Amt, he was living at Korshavn, Fillan, Hitteren during the 1865 census. Next was Mina born 1834, possibly in Stadsbyd, she was married to Ole Olsen and living on Hafelden farm, Ritsen, Stadsbygd in 1865. Then Anne Magrette born 1835 in Stadsbygd, she was married to Ole Olsen (from Denstad) and living on Bjorgum farm, Stadsbygd in 1865. These are my great-great grandparents. Finally Emilie, born 1839 Stadsbygd, living as a servent on Fallum farm, Ritsen, Stadsbygd, in 1865. Anne Margrethe and Erik were probably dead by 1865, but I keep looking for them. She was a midwife (jordmoder) and someone once told me he was a baker. That same person also told me that he was from Våland. I don't really know when or were Erik was born and so can't even try to locate his family in 1801 or 1865.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Inger Elisabeth Børsting

Meg, according to Bygdebok for Stadsbygd, vol IV Erik left Stadsbygd for Kristiania (Oslo) when Anne Margrethe died in 1848. Anne Margrethe was considered a very able midwife and the locals were very impressed by her horsemanship while riding out on duty. She was a midwife in Stadsbygd 1832.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Bælingplassen in Stadsbygd. Book IV, page 249. Pontianus Sebaldus Eriksen Paulsen Våland, called Baldus, 1832-1877, but he was from Stavanger. Father baker Erik Paulsen Våland and wife Anne Margrethe Svendsdatter b. 1805. Anne Margrethe was midwife in Rissa and Stadsbygd from 1833.I have not found her death in 1848 in Stadsbygd.Berit Knudsen.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Inger Elisabeth Børsting

Berit, you will find more about Anne Margrethe and her family under Bjørgan, 48.1 Stadsbygd bygdebok, volIV,p212. Inger Elisabeth Børsting

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Berit Knudsen

Thank you Inger Elisabeth. Erik and Anne Margrethe lived on the farm SUNDSAUNET i Rissa, but there is no books with the history of the farms.I guess the death of Anne Margrethe could be found in the churchbooks of Rissa.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Meg Lambalot

Berit, Inger Elisabeth thank you both so much!! I had no idea she died so young. I'm going to Minneapolis next week to visit my sisters and also to do a little research. One of the libraries at the University of Minnesota is purported to have a set of the Stadsbygd bygdeboks and I'm hoping to get a look at them. And thank you to everyone that have answered my questions. Tusen Takk!!!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Meg Lambalot

It might interest you to know that Anne Margrethe and Eric's grandson, Johan Olsen Bjorgum, had to be midwife to his wife for the birth of his two youngest daughters. I guess the doctor couldn't make it in time. One of them was my grandmother.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.