Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#5115] I need help finding and spelling a village.

Gjest Patricia Carlsen Mikkelsen
 Del

My grandmother came from a village near Stavanger. I have never seen it written, but it sounds like "Skonskeholen". I would appreciate any information about this town, spelling and location. Does it still exist?Thank you.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Rolf Erik Sanne

The place you are looking for may be Schankeholen, (pronounced Skankeholen) and presently part of the city of Stavanger. I am not sure when that name came into existence and can hence not guarantee that this is the place but will look further into it.Regards Rolf

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Rolf: Thank you very much for your assistance. I will be looking forward to hearing any additional information that you can provide. Again, many thanks.Patricia and Arne Mikkelsen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Rolf Erik Sanne

I have looked further into the details of Schanckeholen and have found the following: Schanckeholen was the name of the stately home or manor of the Stavanger-based merchant and shipowner Gabriel Schancke Jonasen and his wife who actually got the property as part of her inheritance. They erected the manor on a very small hill and lived there, thus the name. (Holen means small hill). The property belonged to the municipality of Hetland until 1923 when Hetland was integrated as part of Stavanger. There was a fire in the the original building, the remnants were sold and reerected across the small lake which the original manor overlooked. The original property was split in parts and my sources say that a home for poor people in Stavanger was raised here. The name Schanckeholen nowadays cover the entire old property, with roads, houses, camping site etc.Regards Rolf

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Rolf:Thank you so much for all your help and kindness.Patricia and Arne Mikkelsen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.