Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#5161] Adolf August Olai Andersen, from Bergen

Gjest Patricia Carlsen Mikkelsen
 Del

I would very much like to learn about my grandfather's family history in Norway. But I have only a few pieces of information about him. His name was Adolf August Olai Andersen. He was born on April 6 in Bergen. My mother says he was born in either 1881 or 1882, but I have seen US Census records that say it was 1885. I am not certain which date is correct. I know he had 9 brothers (and no sisters?) -- that he was a seaman -- and that he emigrated to the US in 1906. My aunt found his family in the Bergen Parish records, when she was in Norway during the 1960's. But she did not keep copies of anything. She said that most of his brothers had moved to Oslo. In 1916, in New York, he married Mary (Mamie) Cooper Smith, and they had four daughters. He was killed in 1942, when the oil tanker he worked on was torpedoed by a German U-boat. That is just about all I know.I would be very grateful for any information… Patricia Mikkelsen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Bjørn Davidsen

Here is a good canditate:Born: 060484, bapt.: 110584 August Adolf Olai, Bagersvend Torger Andersen Vasb› 9-99 1860 1850 Malene Anders Blakksæter m DK 1884

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hello Bjørn,I am so grateful for this effort! Can you confirm the dates and names for me? I'm not sure I understand what I am reading. It looks like August Adolf Olai Andersen was born on June 4, 1884 (or is it April 6, 1884?). His father was Bagersvend Torger Andersen -- born 1860 or 1850. His mother Malene Anders Blakksæter. They were married in 1884. Please tell me, was this birth in Bergen? Are there any records of his brothers? It's is interesting if this is really him, because his first daughter was named Malene Catherine. Do I have this correct? If not, can you tell me how it should be read?Thanks again Patricia Mikkelsen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Bjørn Davidsen

Here is what I found about this family:Ch. 1: Andreas Johan Adolf, born: Nov 29, bapt.: Des 26 1881 Parents: Ungkarl Bagersvend Thorger Andersen b.: 1861 and Pige Magdalene Andersdatter Blaksæter b.: 1851, address: 9-179 u=born before marr., bapt.church: Nykirken.Marr.: Uk. Bagersvend Thorger Andreassen, b. 220360 (in parish Helleland) and Pige Magdalene Andersdtr. b. 010351 (in parish Indvigen) marr. in Nykirken 0701 1883.Ch. 2: August Adolf Olai, born: Apr 06, bapt.: Mai 11 1884. Parents: Bagersvend Torger Andersen Vasbø b.: 1860 and Malene Anders Blakksæter b.:1850, address: 9-99, bapt.church: Domkirken.Ch. 3: Thora Marie, born: Sep 07, bapt: Okt 30 1887.Parents: Bagersvend Torger Andersen b.: 1860 and Malene Andersdatter b.: 1853, address: Foswinckelsgade 29, bapt.church: Johanneskirken.Torger Andersen died 1201 (at hospital) and burr. 1601 1889.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you again, Bjørn!I found the baptism records for August and Thora in the digitalarkivet. The dates for August Adolf Olai certainly do match what I know, but I am still a bit uncertain. My Aunt Augusta insists that he had 9 brothers and no sisters. So I don't know what to think about sister Thora Marie. I wonder if there were more sons also born before marriage, or after? I also found the death record for Torger. I appreciate all your efforts! It would be great to have some history on the Andersen family. Since August died before I was born, I never knew him, but I understand he was a wonderful man.Sincerely, Patricia Carlsen Mikkelsen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I meant to say thank you Bjørn and Tor!I found two possible records for Torger in the 1865 Census:1: Torgir Andres., age 6, son of Andreas Olsen2: Torger A. Ols., age 5, son of Ole PedersenI ran into problems when I tried to find Malene (Magdalene) Andersdtr in the 1865 Census. I believe I found her in 1900, as a widow. The Marriage record says she was born in Indvigen. I cannot find this name. Also, I am wondering about the meaning of the name Blaksæter.The only similar record I have found is this one, in 1301 Bergen (1865 Census): Magnus Andersen Blaksæter, age 20, born in Indvigs Præstegjeld Nordfjord. I cannot find Indvigs or Nordfjord.Do either of you have any suggestions for me?Thanks again Patricia Carlsen Mikkelsen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Bjørn Davidsen

You'll find 'Indvigen' in Sogn og FjordaneI think Torgir Anders., age 6, on 1115 Helleland, is the correct one.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Tor Andersen

You will find Malene on:[url="http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/wc/webcens.exe?slag=n&filename=arkivverket/ft1865/f61447&variabel=7&postnr=1450&fulle=true&spraak=eShe>Lenke is listed as Their Daughter but is most certain Her Daughter due to her surname.When it comes to more children she is listed as Pige (unmarried women) at the marriage. She have probably left Bergen in the 1891 Census. There is however a family in Indvik in 1900 with a lot of sons that might be the same but the birthyear is wrong and that she should have a child before her first hisband died is also questionable.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Tor and BjørnHello again! I had also found this record for Malene in Indvigen. Now I know that Blaksæter was a farm name there. It seems very likely that this is the same woman. As for the widow in 1900, I did not print this page, so I will have to go back and try to find her again.My aunt insists that she found birth records for all of the Andersen children in the Parish records of Bergen. This leads me to think she stayed there. But I will look at that family in Indvik, and see if it makes sense.You both mentioned the 1891 Census. I see only 1865, limited for 1875, and 1900. How can I find these records?Thank you both again for all your assistance! Patricia Carlsen Mikkelsen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thanks Bjørn!I should have looked before I asked. I found the 1891 census. Have not searched in it yet. It will be interesting to see what I can find.Sincerely Patricia

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

BjørnI found the widow and three children (August, Andreas, and Thora) in the 1891 Census. However, I could not find Malene in the 1900 Census. The only record I saw that matched the name had a birth year of 1860. The Malene who married Torger was born in 1850. So I don't think it is her. You said you found her in the 1900 Census. Can you give me a link to that page? I must have missed it.Also, I am still worried that I have found no other brothers. So I wonder if this is even the right family -- except that August's full name and birthday match exactly.Again, I appreciate all your help. Sincerely, Patricia

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.