Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#5167] Karl Gustav Karlsen Tonsberg b. 1886

Gjest Arne Mikal Mikkelsen
 Del

in the 1900 census it lists my grandfather Karl Gustav Karlsen, b.in Tonsberg in 1886. His Father Severin Karlsen b. 1854 Sverige, and his mother? Jorgine Louise b. 1864 Tjomo JL. I cannot find any previous listings for his in the 1865. I would like to know where they came from, their parents and any brothers sisters. Also I have Karl Gustavs's Konfirmation records 21 september 1886 that list his mother as Augusta Andersen,(was Severin Married 2 times?) can anyone help me. locate these families.Thank you.Arne Mikal Mikkelsen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristian Hunskaar

Severin Karlsen is born in Sverige (Sweden). Lots of people came from Sweden to Norway in this period. He probably came to Norway after 1865, so you won't find him the 1865 census.Tjøme is an island south of Tønsberg. The reason why you don't find Tjøme in the 1865 census is, that Tjøme was part of Nøtterøy (another island south of Tønsberg) at that time. Searching in the Nøtterøy 1865 census, you should be able to find Jørgine Jørgensdatter, 2 years old, at Kjærø øde. I'm not quite sure she is the one you're looking for - further investigation is needed - but she's a strong candidate.It's likely to believe that Severin has been married twice. Notice the gap in age between Karl Gustav and his younger brother.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Kristian, Thank you. I am new at this family finding, I am finding more and more about Norway and it's people everyday. Everyone in this forum has gone out of there way to be very helpful.It is a great disadvantage to me to not "know" the language, I have a dictionary but it loses something in the literal translantion. Again my thanks for your help and kindness.Arne Mikal

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest tom askeroi

Hello, Arne. I agree with Kristian in all aspects. A candidate for the mother (and 1st wife) I found in the 1865 cencus of Tønsberg, gårdsnr 150,151 Nedre Langgade: Augusta (probably mistakingly given the patronymikon Pettersdatter by the registrant) 2 years old. Her father's name was Petter Erich Andersen. And there aren't many Augusta's in the region, especially at approximately the right age. But it's just a candidate.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Tommany thanks. All the contacts I have made through this forum have been most helpful. When I started looking for my Norwegian family I had only 6 names. I now have over 160 in Norway going back to 146. I have traced the Mikkelsen side through 9 generations over 250 years on the same farm. Thank you for your assistance.Arne Mikal

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Tom & Kristian,Thank you both for all you help.I have located Severin Karlsen's first wife in the death records in Notteroy. She Was Augusta Antonsdatter (not Andersen)she died 05-10-1896, listed as Partner of Matros Severin Karlsen, She was from Sweden. Her residence was listed as Kjøbmandskjær, do either of you know where that is?Arne Mikal Mikkelsen.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristian Hunskaar

Kjøbmandskjær is located at the southern point of Nøtterøy. In the late 19th century probably residence of seamen-families.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristian Hunskaar

I've found something in the church records for you:Karl Gustav was born 21/9-1886 at Styrsvik, Nøtterøy, bapt. 6/1-1887 - parents seaman Severin Karlsen (born 1854) and Augusta Antonsdatter (born 1850).After Augustas death, Severin married Jørgine Lovise Hansen at Tjøme 7/8-1898. She was born 1864 at Kjærø Øde and was daughter of seaman Jørgen Hansen. She is identical with the one I pointed out for you earlier today. Severin was living at Kjøbmandsskjær and worked as a timberman at sea. The church record tells that his father was named Karl Nilsen.I tried to find Severin and Augusta's marriage at Nøtterøy, but unfortunately failed. They may have got married in Sweden or perhaps one of Nøtterøy's neighbour-parishes.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Kristian,Thank you for your response & Help. Also I have found out that Severin Karlsen had other children after Sverre (post 1900). I know that there was a brother, Albert Karlsen, who emigrated to the United States. How do I find post 1900 birth and emigration records for Nøtterøy.Also one of my relatives thought that they had seen the Karlsen name spelled Karlssen, but everything I have seen to date has been wit one "s".Thank youArne MikalIs there a way to follow the Swedish side of the family, were emigrants from Sweden (1860-1890)to Norway required to register? How would I find out?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristian Hunskaar

Nøtterøy birth records post 1900 are to be found in the church records, but these are not available on the internet. Try to ask John Strøm. He is the one that has registered some of the Nøtterøy church records in the digital archive. Maybe he can help you:john.strom@bu.telia.noPeople who moved from one parish to another, of course including Sweeds who came to Norway, were registered in the church records, so it should be possible to find out where in Sweden Severin and Augusta came from.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.