Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#5324] Hans Gudmundsen from Aurskog to Minnesota USA1860'

Gjest Janet Thompson
 Del

Gjest Janet Thompson

While looking at the Census of 1865 posted by the University of Tromso, I found record of a Hans Gudmundsen and his family that lived at Aurskog, Municipality 0224 and the name of domicile is Ruud. I believe Hans is my Great Great Grandfather. The Census lists him as living with husfader Gudmund Hansen, Husmoder Johanne Gudbrandsen, and other brothers (Gudbrand and Martin) and a sister (Anne). Hans was born in 1845 at Urskaug as was husfader and the other children. Johanne Gudbrandsen was born at Fedt.I know Hans returned to Norway to visit family on at least one occassion. However, prior to reading the 1865 census, memories of names in Norway had faded. I am very interested in learning more about the community of Aurskog and if anyone would know where the Ruud domicile was/is. I would like to know if there are church/other records I could check to go back beyond Gudmund Hansen and make a link to the 1801 census.I know Hans married Caroline Christiansdatter in Minnesota, U.S.A. in 1869. She and her parents (Christen Jorgenson and Gunhild Hansdatter lived in Rochester, Minnesota) Caroline was born Hoelands Prastagjeld, Norway in 1846. Is this the same community at Urskaug?I hope someone will respond. I am sorry I only write and speak American.Janet

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger D. Topper

Hello Janet, I have used this site and it has been helpful to me since I also have family from Norway. Keep checking and someone is bound to help.Good luck,Roger

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Rune Bjerke

Janet,Aurskog and Høland are now merged into one municipality, part of Akershus county and located north-east of Oslo. For most rural districts in Norway, there are books that present farm history and appurtenant family lists (bygdebøker), and this can be a valuable supplement to the church records (kirkebøker). If you visit www.slektsbiblioteket.com, choose Lookup service and then search for Aurskog and Høland respectively, you might get help from lookup volunteers.Rune

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Berit Knudsen

1 Hans Gudmundsen b. 12/6 1845.(12.June) 2 Gudmund Hansen Rud b. 24/8 1815. Last user of the farm Rud in this family. Married to Johanne Gulbrandsdatter born 1825 in Fet. 5 children. 3 Hans Olsen Rud b. 6/7 1770 - 1/1 1854. Married 1811 vidow Mette Olsdatter 1779 - 4/12 1846. 4 children. 4 Ole Gudmundsen Rud 1723 - 1804.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Berit Knudsen

1 Hans Gudmundsen b. 12/6 1845.(12.June) 2 Gudmund Hansen Rud b. 24/8 1815. Last user of the farm Rud in this family. Married to Johanne Gulbrandsdatter born 1825 in Fet. 5 children. 3 Hans Olsen Rud b. 6/7 1770 - 1/1 1854. Married 1811 vidow Mette Olsdatter 1779 - 4/12 1846. 4 children. 4 Ole Gudmundsen Rud 1723 - 1804. Married 1755 Marte Andersdatter Foss in Blaker 1733 - 1808. 11 children. 5 Gudmund Eriksen Rud 1697 - 2/1 1754.15 children. 1. married 1718 RAGNHILD AMUNDSDATTER Hogstad, died 1731. 2. married 1731 Aase Jonsdatter from Nes. She 2. married 1756 Peder Gundersen Jar. 6 Erik Gudmundsen Riser in Høland born 1661. Married Siri Sørensdatter. 7 Gudmund Bjørnsen Halvorsrud b.abt. 1586 - 1667. 1. married maybe a daugther from Rud farm. 2. married Aslaug (from Logn in Høland?) dead before 1660. 3. married Kersti Olsdatter Ekeberg b.abt. 1632 - dead on Rud 1717. She 2. married Hans Tryggsen Nordby.All of this farms in Aurskog, Blaker and Høland above is in Akershus, on the east side of Oslo.It is all from the bygdebøker (books) Aurskog. I have not looked in the churchbooks, so I can not promis all the dates are correct.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Janet Thompson

This morning when I checked the message board I could hardly believe my eyes! I have been searching, on and off, for nearly 20 years to find where Hans Gudmundsen had come from and what family he had left behind. My mother is 89 years old and has only childhood memories of him. He died in 1927 when she was 15 years old. We are all so delighted that could help us. I know he is our Hans as the birth date is an exact match.Are you connected in some way to someone in that family? I know nothing about the place he is from other than what I have seen on the Web Page for Aurskog. Would you be able to share or suggest someone who could help me learn more of the history of the community? Would anyone in Norway be interested in knowing what became of Hans? Perhaps there are living relatives still nearby that might have some old pictures?Again, thank you from the bottom of my heart. The internet is a marvelous thing!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Inger-Lise Haga Aastad

Hello Janet I've just read your search for Hans Gudmundsen.I live in Aurskog, and may help you with information about the history of the community. Just now I'm a little bit in a hurry, but give me some days, and I'll do my best. What exactly do you want to know? My e-mail is ilaastad@frisurf.noHappy easterholiday

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 3 uker senere...
Gjest Odd Ottesen

I am uncertain if I understand you correctly about the wife of Hans Gudmundson. You say Hans married 1869 in Minnesota to Caroline Christiansdatter, born in Høland 1846, and that her parents (Christen Jørgenson and Gunhild Hansdatter) lived in Rochester, Minnesota.My question is: did the parents of Caroline live in Minnesota, or is this just the names of her parents? Might she have said that her parents were: Christen Jørgensen and Gunhild Hansdatter, when she married? An answer on this question is crucial for the possible identification of her in Høland.Anyhow, I suppose Caroline Christiansdatter in the cencus 1865 lived as a servant on Nordre (Northern) Bunes in Hemnes in Høland, 19 years old. In 1867 she emmigrated, from Bunes to America, according to the church register.Hilsen Odd.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Janet Thompson

Thank you for responding to my posting. I have found record of Hans and Caroline's wedding at Rochester, Minnesota. That record lists her parents as Christen Jorgenson and Gunhild Hansdatter. Hans, Caroline, Christen and Gunhild were all living in Minnesota in 1869. I do not know what year any of them came to America. Caroline's Obituary says she was born at Hoelands Prastagjeld. I do not know where her parents were born. Is Nordre Brunes in Hemnes a farm? Would this place be near enough to the Ruud domicle that they might have known each other before coming to America? I do not know where Carolines parents died. They might have returned to Norway as I find no record of them in Minnesota in later years.Again, thank you. I look forward to hearing from you.Janet

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Berit Knudsen

Born 18/4 1846 Hemnes, Høland CAROLINE. Her parents married 17/2 1824 Løken, Høland batch. Christian Jørgense Bøen 31 y. girl Gunnilde Hansdatter Østreng 22 y. Chr.18/12 182 Løken, Høland GUNILD. Her parents married 25/8 1795 Løken, Høland Hans Joensen Nøkleby i Trøgstad and widow Hellen Evensdatter Østreng. Census 1801 Hemnes, Høland Skareboel farm: Jørgen Bergersen 41 y. wife Johanne Svensdt. 38 y. and 5 children, Christian 7 y.Census 1801 Trøgstad Nøkleby farm: Per Jonsen 28 unmarried. Jon Andersen 80 y., his father and his mother Gunil Halvorsdt. 68 y.Someone had "borrowed" the micro-fish and I could not find any more before they are back.Division of inheritance: 2/3-20/11 1807 Nøkleby (Møkleby) Trøgstad. Joen Andersen +(dead)(husband) Gunild Halvorsdt. (wife) Children: Anders Langsetter, Berger Dilling, Lars Myrevold, HANS Østereng, Peder corporal Myhrvold, Christian corporal Nøkleby, Anne married Lars Olsen Øunrud? Fet, Mette+ married to Ole Olsen Grinie Eidsberg.14/9 1686 Hemnes, Bøen farm. Olloug Pedersdt. + Svend Sifverssen Children: Svend, Børge, Martte married to Niels Tornebye?, Karen married to Gullich Suendsen, Maren married to Hans Nielsen.20/10 1723 Hemnes, Bøen farm. Borger Svendsen + Guri Knudsdt. Children: Svend, Knud, Siri married to Anders Holm, Anne m. Ole Andersen Tillerud, Ragnild m. Amund Ringstad.23/2 1725 Hemnes, Bøen farm. Guri Knudsdt. + Børger Svensen + Children: the same as before.20/7 1730 Hemnes, Bøen farm. Svend Bergersen + Elen Svendsdt. children: Svend 13, Berger 1 1/2, Maren 7 1/2, christence 5.1/5 1748 Hemnes, Bøen farm. Elen Svendsdt. + 1.m. Svend Bergersen+ 2.m. Baard Gutormsen Children: Berger Svendsen 20, Christence m. corporal Anders Olsen Ruud. No children 2.marriage.28/7-30/8 1800 Hemnes, Bøen farm. Berger Svensen + Ragnhild Jørgensdt. Children:Jørgen, Joen, christian, Hans, Elie+ m. Ole Knudsen Skullerud, Christine m. Tollef Hellesen Bergsiøe.I have to see in the church records before I can say it is OK, but I belive this is it.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Janet Thompson

Dear Berit,There are no words that convey my gratitude and appreciation. Thank you is such a small expression compared to the emotions I feel this morning as I read your letter to me. I didn't have an opportunitiy to check for messages for the past few days. I apologize for not responding sooner. All of my family is so pleased to learn more about our Norway family. Any additional information you can share with us will add to that pleasure.Again, thank you!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Berit Knudsen

1) Caroline b. 18/4 1846 Hemnes Høland. 2) Christian (Jørgensen) chr.29/3 1794 Hemnes. Married 17/2 1824 Gunnilde Hansdatter Østreng 22 y. 3) Jørgen (Bergersen) chr. 23/3 1754 Hemnes. Married. 21/10 1784 Johanne Svendsdatter Skarebøl. 4) Berger Svendsen burried 28/6 1800 76 y. Married to Ragnhild Jørgensdatter 79 y. 1801. 5) Svend Børgersen burried 3/6 1730, 47 y. Married to Elen Svendsdatter, dead before 1748. 6) Børger Svendsen, burried 17/6 1723 86 y. Married Guri Knudsdatter burried 3/1 1725,80 y. 7) Svend Sifuersen (Siversen). Married to Olloug Pedersdatter, dead bef. 1686.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Odd Ottesen

I think Berit may have come up with the right Caroline Christiansdatter, namely the one who was born at Skarrebol in Hemnes in Høland on 18 April 1846. This is however in conflict with your statement that your Caroline's parents lived in Rochester, Minnesota, at the time of Caroline's wedding, in 1869.The parents of Caroline Christiansdatter, born on Skarrebol in Høland 1846, was Christian Jørgensen Skarrebol, born 1794, died on Skarrebol 1864(!), and Gunhild Hansdatter, born 1802, died on Østreng in Høland 1884.I have earlier suggested that Caroline's parents was not living in Rochester in 1869, it is just stated that her parents name are so and so. But if it is absolutely clear that her parents were in Rochester in 1869, then this Caroline cannot be identical with the Caroline born on Skarrebol in 1846.The family of Caroline from Skarrebol may be traced far back in time in Høland, her ancestors belonged to wellknown families.Hilsen Odd.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Berit Knudsen

Thank you Odd. I have not looked for the dead. Christian Jørgensen died 10/3 1864 73 years old at Skarrebøl and Gunhild Hansdatter died as a widow 7/12 1884 at Østreng, born 1801.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Janet Thompson

Hello,I have not been able to answer my messages for some time. I apologize for the delay.I have gone back to my records and have found that Caroline's obiturary, which is on file at the Historical Society at Kandiyohi County, Willmar, Minnesota, lists her birth as April 18, 1846. It says her parents are Christen Jorgenson and Gunhild Hans Datter Skaarebol. It says she was 21 years when she cam to the U.S.A. from Hoelands Prastegjeld, Norway. She died June 15, 1907 at Willmar, Minnesota.I think I will have to drive to Rochester,Minnesota and look at those records again. Maybe I read them wrong and as Odd suggests, perhaps Christen and Gunhild never were in America. Maybe she just lists them as her parents and I assumed they were here too. I do know that there was an infestation of Grasshoppers here in Minnesota around 1875. I know, because of the grasshoppers and poor crops, Hans and Caroline went back to Norway, taking their children with them and stayed for a period of 9 months. Maybe if Chriten and Gunhild were here, they might have returned to Norway with Hans and Caroline and never came back to Minnesota. My mother, who is 88 does not remember anyone talking about anyone else from Norway other than Caroline and Hans. If they did live here in Minnesota, no one remembers or knows where they settled. My only link is to the marriage record of Caroline and Hans at Rochester, Mn. Do the church records show of people leaving and then returning after an absence?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Berit Knudsen

Christian had been dead for 3 years when Caroline went to America the first time. You must have assumed her parents went with her.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Janet Thompson

It is about ten years ago that I visited Rochester and looked at the old marriage books. Rochester is about a 2 1/2 hour drive from my home so I am thinking I will investigate to see if they will send me a photo copy of the papers. As I recall, that service wasn't available when I was there,so I couldn't get a copy. Times have changed and now everybody has a copy machine, or so it seems. Is there any information on the Skarrebol farm? Is the place that Gunhild died near Hoeland Parish?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Berit Knudsen

All of the farms are in the same area. I thougt perhaps you had recieved informations from Inger-Lise Haga concerning the history and information of the community. She offered to do it and gave you her e-mailadress. Maybe you should contact Inger-Lise.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Inger-Lise Haga Aastad

Hello!I'm "one the case"!My computer has been down for the last week, and when technology "let you down", well, then you get a little helpless.A big smile from me.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.