Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#5413] Gunder Lorentsen - Verdal in Nord-Trondelag

Gjest Dale Tuvey
 Del

Gjest Dale Tuvey

I am searching for the exact birthdate of and information about the parents and ancestors of Gunder Lorentsen. I believe he was born in Verdal, Nord-Trondelag in 1833. If anyone has a bygdebok or access to parish records from Verdal and can help I would appreciate it. Gunder is a gg-grandfather on my mothers side. His daughter, Christine, my g-grandmother, is the oldest ancestor I personally knew when I was a boy.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Eldbjørg Lyngstad

In Digitalarkivet: Births in Verdal, I found: Gunner, born 30.07.1833 (day - month - year). Babtized: 15.09.1833. Father: Lorentz Thufset. His father: Jens. Mother: Cristiane Thufset. Her father: Ole. I can find try to find more about this family later today.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Dale Tuvey

Eldbjørg-Thank you so much for the information. I found more information on Lorenz and Cristiane's family including birth and baptism dates for Gunner (Gunder) and his sister and brothers. I don't find any record of the family in Verdal prior to 1811 when Gunder's sister Birit Olava was born. There are no marriage records on line and his parents may have been born prior to the beginning of the online records. I will have to get the microfilm from the Mormon Church Library and see if I can find their birth records or whether they moved into the Verdal parish from somewhere else.Thank you so much for your assistance.I wonder if anyone knows if there is a bygdebok for Verdal.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Berit Knudsen

Yes it is bygdebøker for Verdal. 5 or 6 I belive. I can try to find something for you on Monday or Thuesday if you want.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Eldbjørg Lyngstad

I do own bygdebok for Verdal (there are several volumes), and I have taken a look. At the farm Tuset søndre (south) I found that Ole Schjeflo, who lived at the farm Øvre Sem in Sparbu (a neighboring township), in 1809 sold the farm Tuset søndre to his son-in-law Lorents Jenssen Skjelven. Lorents owned this farm untill 1822. In 1833 Lorents rented the neigboring farm, Tuset mellem (middle). It seems that Cristiane, who probably was Ole Schjeflo's daughter, came from Sparbu, and maybe Lorents did that, too. I don't have any local knowledge here, but when I go to the library, I often meet the REAL experts. Maybe some of them can tell me more - and then I'll let you know!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Dale Tuvey

Berit and Eldbjørg -Again thank you for the information already received. I am very appreciative. I wish there was something I could do beyond just a simple thank you. If you learn more I would certainly appreciate that too.While researching Lorents Jenssen's granddaughter,(Gunder Lorentsen's daughter) Kristine Gundersen I found that both her mother and father(i.e. Gunder)died of tuberculosis in 1866 when Kristine was 3. Her brother, Lorents, who was 6 at the time went to live with a relative by the name of Schjefloe. So this information today ties in with that nicely.Here is the sentence from the Sparbu bygdebok concerning this. Maybe one of you could translate it for me. "Lornts kom til farens søskenbarn, Johan Kr. Schjefloe på Vekre, og der var han til han i 1879 reiste til Amerika."Also I have another question about the name "Schjefloe." It is obviously not the normal patronymic that one usually sees in this time period. Do you have any idea why he would have such a name or what is means or signifies? Is it a farm name with the patronymic name missing?Thanks again for your help!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Eldbjørg Lyngstad

Glad to help you find pieces to your puzzle! The sentence you asked for, means: Lornts came to his father's cousin, Johan Kr. Schjefloe at Vekre, and he lived there untill he went to America in 1879. As to the name Schjefloe, your observation is correct. The patronymic was (almost) always used, and then they put on the name of the farm where they lived. People who moved, changed their last name, it was almost like an address. The patronymic is normally the safest clue to find out whether it is "your" person or not. Maybe Ole Schjeflo always lived on his farm, and therefore didn't use his patronymic. Everybody knew who he was.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Berit Knudsen

Hello Eldbjørg. You will find "Stamtavle over den norske familien Schelven" med forord av fru F.M.Qvam i årbok for N.T. historielag for 1927. Lorents b. 1785 was son of Jens Tausan Larsen Schielven who died 1786 38 y.old and Bereth Joensdatter Hosæth. Bygdebok for Inderøy bd.II. You will find more about this family in the bygdebok.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Dale Tuvey

Berit-Thank you for taking me back yet another generation! Any idea what "Tausan" is in Jens'name? Is it just another given name? or does it have other meaning? I assume Schelven or Schielven are a farm name. Would these be a variation of or related to "Schjefloe"? What is the translation of the first sentence? Again my great appreciation for your assistance.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Berit Knudsen

If you can give me your e-mail I will do my best to translate what is written in the books about your family. It is interesting reading. I can also find your forefathers.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Dale Tuvey

Berit-Thank you for the offer. It is very kind. I would appreciate it very much. My e-mail is: tuvey@whidbey.com I was having a very hard time finding information on this part of my family tree and now due to the help of several generous people in Norway I have learned a great deal. Getting translated information from a bygdebok is as good as it gets. I can't wait to get your information. Thanks again.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.