Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#5604] Beautiful Heirloom found - dates back to 1882

Gjest Pearl Danroth
 Del

Gjest Pearl Danroth

Martinius and Nicoline Johansen were married May 20th, 1882. Martinius's birthdate was October 12th, 1848. Two sterling silver rings encircle the middle of a beautiful piece of crocheted work, about 8cm x 30cm. One ring has the initials M J and the other ring has this - 12/10.82 engraved on it. At each end of this crocheted piece, is an intricate design with the initials M J and the year 1882, all done in tiny, silver metal beads. At the ends is a fringe of silver metal balls. Although the rings look like wedding bands, I don’t think they were even worn on someone’s finger. It looks like the crocheted piece was pulled through the rings and then the bead work and fringes were added. The rings cannot be removed. Does anyone know what this 119-year-old work of art is? Would it be a gift for the groom on their wedding day? Is it part of the traditional costume of Norway?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Laila Normann Christiansen

Hi Pearl! Maybe you have a picture of it? You can send it to me, and I will take a look! Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Else Reither

Since the date October 12th 1882 (12/10.82 is the most common way of writing that date in Norwegian today, at least) is engraved on one of the rings, I would guess it is Nicolines gift for Martinius at his first birthday as her husband. But what this beautiful crocheted piece is used for is difficult to say from the discription. A picture would perhaps give a clou. To me it does not sound like something used on a traditional costume, thou - corcheted parts are not very common on "bunads", and I do not think they were on folk costumes in the 1800 either.Maby it is a design Nicoline made all by her own, inspired by her love for her husband? She must have been quite good at crocheting, it sounds!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Pearl Danroth

Laila, I will send a picture as soon as possible.I was wondering, since these two rings cannot be removed, if it symbolized something like - everlasting love or "until death do us part"??I didn't mention before - The crocheted piece is like a sock with a straight opening at the back. It is a dark wine or burgandy color. The bead work is on both front and back. The year 1882 is on one side and the MJ is on the other, both on the same end.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.