Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#6067] Surname keeps changing

Gjest David Holm
 Del

Gjest David Holm

I'm having trouble understanding why my grandfather's name keeps changing.Anton Auensen Holm was born 7 oct 1848 in Enebakk, Arkershus. I believe his parents were Auen Olsen from Viberg in Ulensaker and Anne Maria Christiansdatter. This information comes from the mormon records. The 1865 census has him as Anton Augensen, The 1875 census has him as Anton Augender Holm, and the 1900 census has him as Anton Auensen Holm. Where would the Holm name come from?Thanking you for any help you can give me, David Holm

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest bente T

Hello David HolmHis surname probably came from the place where they lived when he was born. It was common to take the name of the farm as their surname, also when they moved. Bente T. Frydenlund

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Laila Normann Christiansen

Hi! Holm is a farm name in Ullensaker, and it might be that he worked there for a while. That was also common, to use a name from a farm that way. Or, his parents lived there for a while. I dont think there are any Holm-farms in Enebakk. Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kenneth Holter

Hi!About the changing av the names: the !Augender" in the 1875 census is probably a misinterpretation by the registrar av the data files, and should be Augensen.Augensen/Auensen is two different spellings of his name, but would proabaly be pronounced the same way.kh

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest tom askeroi

Without the books in front of me I believe I remember the Enebakk Holm name originally was a first name. Holm's sons and daughters were Holmsen's and Holmsdatter's for some generations. Then Holmsen was shortened to just Holm. So I beleive this is an exeption from the normal rools...

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Per Håkon Christiansen

David: as you can see from the conflicting answers here, you have probably given us too little information. It would be easier to try to answer your questions if you sum up what you know by now, with exact year, farm/place of residence and whatever else you mighy be certain of. The Holms in Enebakk which I know about have family connections to Spydeberg or Nittedal. I assume that the Anton Auensen you talk about is not identical to Anton Auensen the owner of Nordre Narvestad in Hobbøl in 1886?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest David Holm

Hi: What I know o date is this. From the 1865 census in Eidsberg Anton Augensen born 1848 in Enebak domicile is Distriktsfaengselet. Augen Olsen and wife Anne Kristiansdatter in the 1865 census are in Eidsberg domicile Sandaas(plads). In the 1875 census Anton Augender Holm born Enbak Smaalene 1848. Wife is Johanna Pettesen Gran, daughter is Helga Alida Holm. This is the right family beacuse met Helga when I was a boy as she emigrated to Canada. In the 1900 census Anton Auensen Holm born 1848 in Ulsaker Ak 1848, wife Johanna Kristine Holm, Children Aksel ( my grandfather) Sverre, Helge, Olga, Helga, and Agnes who also came to Canada. thre domocile at this time is Tromso. I have just got in contact with Sverre's grandson who lives in romso but he has no information on the Holm name. The Morman records show Anton born 7 Oct. 1848, Enebakk, Arkeshus, Norway. His parents were not married at the time. They were Auen Olse from Viberg in Ulensaker and Anne Maria Christiansdatter. Anton married Johanna Kristine Pettersdatter Gram 22 jan. 1874 in Tromso. Anton and Johanna both visited Aksel in Canada in 1912. Johanna Kristine was born 25 oct. 1848, Tromso, Troms, Norway. Her parents, per the Mormons were Petter Gram Arnesen and Ane Sophie Abrahamsdatter.There you have all I know. I know nothing of Johanne's family or why or when our name changed to Holm from Auensen.I'm sorry for the long post.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest David Holm

Hi: In the 1865 census Anton's trade is listed as Varetaegtsfange. Another individual at this location is listed as Vagtmester, Sergeant og Jordbruger. I just have a small Nor-English dictionary and most of the words on the census detail are not in it but Fange seems to mean convict. The other person may be running the farm? Could Holm be a prison work farm? Under notes it says "undtagen Holm LN 85 ( 8 Indbyggre ) der Horer til Tromborg Sogn ( afmaerket med Rodt ) Distriktsfaengselet. I cann't translate this but the Holm name is there.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kenneth Holter

Hi.In the 1865 census Anton Augensen is a prisoner in custody at the District Prison (Distrikstfængslet). The farm Holm is NOT a prison work farm. The note regards the parish and tells us that although the parish reads "Eidsberg" there is an exception for the farm Holm, which belongs to Trømborg parish.It seems he took the name Holm after 1865, but before 1875. Where does he live in 1875?kh

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest David Holm

Hi,In 1875 His name was Anton Augender Holm in the commune of Berg, municiple number 1929 and the domicile was Senjens Nikkelvaerk.Thanks - David

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arne Olav Egner

Probably a bit outside the present debate, but in the 1801 census the farmname in Ullensaker was spelled Wilberg (not Viberg). Later on you will find (as present) that the farmname is spelled Vilberg.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest David Holm

Is there anyway to find out what Anton was arrested for, whether he was convicted or how long he was held? DH

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.