Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#6275] Help to find a Sjofartsbok?

Gjest Patricia Carlsen Mikkelsen
 Del

Can anyone tell me about something called a "Sjofartsbok"? My grandfather, August Olai Adolf Andersen, was born in Bergen in 1884. The last time I can find him in the Norwegian census was 1891, in Bergen. I believe he went to sea as soon as he was old enough. The U.S. Census for 1920 states that he emigrated to the U.S. in 1906, but I don't know where he entered the country. I'm almost certain it was not at Ellis Island. I am told there is a document called a Sjofartsbok, which should tell me much about his travels as a Norwegian seaman, and maybe even give me some clue as to exactly when and into which port he entered the U.S. Is this document on file anywhere in Norway? If so, can I request a copy?I appreciate any assistance... Hilsen, Patricia

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Terje Kolbeinsen

Hello Patricia You could try The National Archive in Bergen. At least my father got his various shipping service from them shortly before he died.Terje

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you Terje,Yesterday, I sent an email to the Statsarkivet i Bergen. No reply yet. But please tell me, have you ever heard this term, Sjofartsbok? Do you know what it is? I am wondering if it is a book that the seaman would keep in his personal possession, or if there is a copy of this on file somewhere? Either with the government or with the shipping company?I appreciate any advice or information... Hilsen, Patricia

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Terje Kolbeinsen

Patience Patricia, I think they will give you an answer in due time. "Sjøfartsbok" is a personnel book being a register of all ships and dates a seaman was on the vaious ships. These registers are also, at least in some degree at "Statsarkivet". I don't think you will find a copy with the shipping company, since it was not unusual that a seaman was employed at several companies. Hope you are successful in your search.Terje

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you again, Terje, for explaining about this book. Sorry, I did not mean to appear overly anxious! I will wait patiently for a response from the Statsarkivet. I see that I spelled the word wrong. Sorry again...Hilsen, Patricia

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.