Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#6356] Thonette Edvardssen Komfirmerti i Arendal 1877?

Gjest Bobbi Harrison
 Del

Gjest Bobbi Harrison

In my great-grandmother's small Norwegian Bible is written in old fashioned script: "Thonette Edvardssen Arendal 1877" and the scripture reference "Math 11, 28.29. It was suggested to me that this could be a reference to the confirmation ceremony and that her birth date could actually have been 1852 or 1853. I need help in the search in the churchbook for Arendal of 1877. I am trying to learn the names of her parents and siblingsand to confirm her birth date and location. I was also given a lead from the 1865 census that listed a Thonette Edvardsdatter b-1852 and the name at the head of the list is Edvard Pedersen. Unfortunately, I don't speak Norwegian and can't translate most of the words, so I don't know the descriptions other than Datter for daughter and ug must be for born. She emigrated to Minnesota from Arendal, Norway (I believe possibly to Glencoe, MN on the Rollo on May 27, 1881, at the age of 28 - this too would be consistent with the confirmation ceremony age reference of 1852, making her 29 four months later). She married James Peter Hanson (born Jens Peter Hansen in Denmark September 14, 1858) on April 17, 1884 in Stillwater, Washington County MN where she lived until her last four years. Her name on the marriage document was listed as Anete Peterson but she was also called Annie & Anna (as recorded on the 3 birth certificate records for her children). Her newspaper obituary said Anna was born September 18, 1855 in Norway and died on September 21, 1943 in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin at the home of her daughter, who would have been the person who supplied the information. Anna is buried in Fairview Cemetery in Stillwater, MN. All 3 of her children were given Arendal as their middle names: Arthur Arendal Hanson b-1885, Robert Arendal Hanson (my grandfather) b-1886 and Elizabeth Arendal Hanson (also called Bessie) b- 1889. Any help, in English, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.Bobbi Harrison E-mail: doubleeaglette@juno.com

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Berit Knudsen

She is the only Thonette Edvardsdt.in 1865. Hitterøen, Flekkefjord parish, Botne på Heien farm. Edvar Pedersen housefather, farmer, owner and fisher, g=(gift)married,53 years, m=male,born i Flekkefjord. Rakel M. Olsdt. his wife, married, 44 years, k=woman,female, born Flekkefjord. Dorothea Edvardsdt., their daughter,helping the father with the farming, ug=(ugift)not married, 16 years, k=female, born Flekkefjord. deres sønn= their son. I hope this will help you understanding the rest of the census.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Bobbi Harrison

Thank you, for the explanation of the census terminology. Now if someone can find the explanation for the entry in her Norwegian Bible...Thonette Edvardssen Arendal 1877 Math 11, 28.29 from the church records. The Bible is an 1871 edition, 3" wide X 5" tall X 1 3/8" deep with a brass clasp to fasten the back cover to the front cover. On the side end it says: LANDSTADS SALMEBOG....what does that mean? There is an embossed cross on the front cover

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Bobbi Harrison

Thank you, for the explanation of the census terminology. Now if someone can find the explanation for the entry in her Norwegian Bible...Thonette Edvardssen Arendal 1877 Math 11, 28.29 from the church records. The Bible is an 1871 edition, 3" wide X 5" tall X 1 3/8" deep with a brass clasp to fasten the back cover to the front cover. On the side end it says: LANDSTADS SALMEBOG....what does that mean? There is an embossed cross on the front cover & an urn on the back cover in gold with gold in some of the tooling work. The edges of the leather covers are encased in a narrow metal edging. Indeed, a very special family keepsake that I feel fortunate to have.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Svanhild Nemorin

Magnus Landstad was a priest who collected hymns and also wrote many hymns himself and made a book of it. Salmebog = hymn book. Looks like it's not a bible,but "Landstad's book of hymns"

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Bobbi Harrison

Would there be a significant reason for receiving such a psalm book? And if so, where might there be a record of the occasion for her receiving it? What denomination priest was Magnus Landstad? What exactly does SALMEBOG translate to? Thank you Svanhild, I didn't know you were from Sweden until now.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kristian Hunskaar

Salme =the kind of songs you sing in church.Math 11 28-29 is undoubtable the book of Matheus (the first book in the new testament) chapter 11 verses 28 through 29.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Bobbi Harrison

Thank you Kristian, the scripture information I was aware of. Is there anyone who has access to the Arendal 1877 Church records to determine if there is an entry for Thonette Edvardssen and an explanation of the occassion that she received this psalm book...and possible how old she was at the time?Many thanks to all who have offered assistance. Bobbi Harrison (proud to be an American in our time of tradgedy!)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Bobbi Harrison

Hi Inger, I was also told this before, but Thonette would have been 22 yrs. old in 1877 if her birthdate mentioned in her newspaper obituary (which I have) is correct and 25 yrs. old if the emigration record and/or the 1865 Norway census record is correct and is the same person. I understand that the normal age for confirmation would be 14 or 15. So did she receive confirmation at an older age, or was there another occasion for receiving the psalm book? That's why I feel the records in the Church book for Arendal 1877 need to be explored, but I have no access to them....does anyone else?Thank you for the continued interest and help. Bobbi Harrison

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.