Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#6891] Immigrants living in Minnesota for census 1880

Gjest Shirley M. Casoli
 Del

Gjest Shirley M. Casoli

Hello.. I can not speak Norwegian, but have this question: I can find my relatives in 1880 Census living in Minnesota, showing numbers: 15524 to 15531 last name "Smedstad". How can I find out additional information on them.? I don't know where they are from. I really need to know her maiden name...can anyone help me..!!! thanks Shirley M. Casoli 4809 E. McLellan Rd, Mesa Arizona,85205 email: canadablond@yahoo.com

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arne Neegaard

Hi Shirley,According the Norwegian 1865 Census you got 8 people with the surname Smedstad and 33 farms with the same name. Do you have any other info to share with us? Such as Christian names, age etc.Regards Arne

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Shirley M. Casoli

Dear Arne..... thank you for your prompt reply..His name is Jens H. Smedstad and all I have for her is Albertine and all of their children, from 15526 to 15531. They lived in Minnesota until the late 1889? then homesteaded in Claresholm, Alberta, Canada. Can you tell me what you mean by 33 farms?? they came from a farm outside Oslo. Thank you again for any help you can offer.!!!! We have a LDS Family Archive here in Mesa, and if I can help you just ask. Can you tell me how to find out in Norway...do I have to write a letter... thanks again, Shirley Casoli

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arne Neegaard

Shirley,I am glad to help you!On the main page of http://digitalarkivet.uib.no you have access to the 1801/1865 and 1900 Census. You will need a short lesson in Norwegian, we will provide you with some hints later on. Acc. the FT1865 (the 1865 Census) there are 33 farms with the Smedstad name. The tradition of keeping the farm name or name of birthplace as surnames developed during the 19th century, earlier tradition was using the fathers Christian name as surname adding a -son for boys and -datter for girls. Thus, Jens Hansen' son Ole was Ole Jensen and daughter Anna was Anna Jensdatter. The Smedstad name is quite rare, so I think we will find them!Regards Arne

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arne Neegaard

You can of course use the english version from the main page!! Smedstad can also be spelled Smestad giving you further alternates.Jens H. Smedstad means perhaps Jens H(ansen) from Sme(d)stad farm, or Halvorsen,Holgerson,Hilmarsen etc.,etc...........I will try a search in the Emigrants lists, these mention also places of birth.So, let's dig!Regards Arne

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Rune Bjerke

There is a Jens Hansen (b 1853) at the farm Smedstad in the municipality of Gjerdrum in 1865. Could be a candidate, and I suppose the "bygdebok" of Gjerdrum could indicate if he's your man. Any volunteer out there that could have a look?Rune

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Laila Normann Christiansen

I have the bygdebook for Gjerdrum, and I'll take a look on the farm Smedstad after office hours today. But, the Jens Hansen b. 1853 cant be the right one, since J. H. Smedstad in Minnesota was 48 in 1880 (born around 1832)They must have emigrated to US before 1867, as their oldest child was born in Minnesota. The emigrantprotocols online starts in 1867. No Albertine emigrated in 1867 (from Kristiania that is)I think, to get the maiden name for Albertine, you have to get the birthrecords for the kids.Here you can see a gen-page about Douglas Co. in MN:_(of course, no info on Evansville) Douglas Co. GenealogyHere you can see how to get vital records for Minnesota: MinnesotaHave you found obituaries for Jens and Albertine? They could maybe indicate places of birth. Also death-certificates include often parent names. Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi again, Shirley! I found your gen-page, and there I found something: Where does the Barley come from (on Albertine)? That! might be a clue! Then another thing, there you have Helen Marie born in Norway, but in the census it say she was born in MN. Are you sure about this? Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

That was what I found also! I will check out the Eidsvoll bygdebooks tonight. Since this Albertines father was a "user" of the farm, it might say something about her going to US or whom she married! We are on the right track I think Albertine was also a common name in Eidsvoll. Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Shirley Casoli

Thank you for all your help,..Helen Marie was born in Minnesota, and not Norway...old family tale...please tell me what a bygdebook is???? and does a user mean...renter?? and Barley or Baarlie/d I think was her family name...there is talk of an uncle...and mother....I think Albertine was born in or 1849 and Jens 1932...Jens died in Minnesota and I don't know date...Albertine married a Methodist Minister there and Albertine died in 1933 in Claresholm, Alberta, Canada. thank all of you....I really appreciate it... Shirley Casoli

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I think you should read this: Ancestors from Norway where you get lots of info on norwegain genealogy. I did not find anything at first glance in the bygdebook, but I will look closer in the weekend. Tell us what talk you have heard. Did she emigrate with her parents? her husband?Here you have the censusrecord for the Albertine that we think might be yours. Even if the years are a bit off, but then, the censuses often have to be read +/- at least 1-2 years. Albertine on Baarlid farmI think you have to do some research on your side of "the pond", maybe find the birth-cert. for the children. Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

uuups. don't ask me what happened! Here are the links: Ancestors from Norwaythen the census: Census 1865hope this goes better.... laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Shirley Casoli

Hello Laila...I found those 2 sites very useful, and have printed them out...I found out that one of Albertine's sisters married a man named Tom Benson, and they were in the same town in Alberta...I will go to the LDS site next week...can I look up anything for you...you have been so helpful...and I would like to repay the favour...anytime...just let me know....I cAn look up when Jens died in Minnesota and it may have pertinent informtion on the children too... thank again... Shirley CAsoli

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest N B Macdonald

What is a "bygdebok", you ask. Bygde = village and bok = book. So what is a "village book"?This custom seems to be particularly Norwegian - more countries should follow suit!These books (bøker) are often published by the local voluntary "sogelag", history club, though there is often some public financing. They are proper, thick, usually hard bound books, sometimes in several volumes. They cover, variously, the history of an area, its farms, its families, its ministers and church(es).A wonderful resource, especially when people are willing to do look ups for you!--Beth in Bergen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Shirley Casoli

Hi Beth...We have those in Canada and my relatives from Norway are in them...I found a site with a dictonary page ..and it is quite helpful...I will keep looking and searching and plan to go to the LDS history building to look up birth certificates....and such....where I live there is a huge number of people who are Morman...It is 10:00 pm here and must go...thanks for the help Shirley Casoli or nickname Sunny

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.