Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#8260] Carl Andreas Westby/Carl Johan Andersen?

Gjest Pearl Danroth
 Del

Gjest Pearl Danroth

For a very long time, I have been looking for information about Carl Andreas Westby, son of Andreas Johnsen Westby(e) and Marthe Oline Christiansdatter who were married on January 31, 1853 at Domkirken, Oslo. The only record I have of Carl is in the 1865 Census - Carl Andreas Westby (b. 1853 in Christiania) lived with his uncle Christian Johnsen and wife Karen at Rødfyldgaden 29, Christiania. I have not been able to find Carl in the 1875 Census, or as an emigrant from Oslo, or in the Ellis Island records. Carl (or Chas/Charlie as he was later known) left Oslo around 1898 and went to South Dakota where he died in 1904.I just happened to find the following person in LLDSearch. Could this possibly be the same person as Carl Andreas Westby? I am quite used to the spelling of names changing from one record to another, and I can see how Westbye might look like Wedbye, but here the mother's first name is altogether different - Marthe to Karen???Any help and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in advance, Pearl.Carl Johan ANDERSEN, Sex: MEvent(s): Christening: 07 Aug 1853, Domkirken, Oslo, Akershus, Norway Parents: Father: Andreas JOHNSEN WEDBYE Mother: Karen Oline CHRISTENSDR``````````````````````````````````````````

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Pearl Danroth

As you probably noticed, I should have written LDSSearch instead of LLDS.....I should also mention, Carl's youngest sister Hilda can also be found in LDSSearch as: Hilda Amalie Marie ANDERSEN, born to Andreas WESTBY and Marthe Oline CHRISTIANSDR. She was christened at Domkirken on 27 Jan 1861 as Hilda Amalia Marie. Parents address was still Rødfyldgade 29.In the 1865 census, she was listed as Hilda M. A. Vestby and in the 1875 census, she was listed as Hilda Andreasdatter Westbye.Because Hilda was found in LDSS under the surname Andersen is the reason I started searching for Carl with the surname ANDERSEN. PD.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 10 måneder senere...
Gjest Pearl Danroth

I believe I found some new information on Carl Andreas Westby. Contrary to the above information, he emigrated to the US in 1871 (this date comes from the 1900 US Census Records). In these records, Carl, who changed his name to Charlie Johnson, was the Postmaster at Bossko, South Dakota. His birth month and year were given as June 1852 (not 1853 as recorded in the 1865 Census for Norway).If anyone can find the Christening Records, most likely from the Vor Frelser/Olso Domkirke records, for Carl Andreas (born sometime in June 1852), son of Andreas Johnsen Westby and Marthe Oline Christiansdatter, I would be happy to receive that information.I have still not been able to find his name in the Emigrants from Oslo for the year 1871. I have tried every surname that he may have used and their various spellings. Have I overlooked something?Thanks for any help, Pearl

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Pearl Danroth

Thanks Kenneth, I will see if I can find something more in the Ellis Island immigration records for Andrew Johnson. What does 'stenarb.' mean? PD.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Geir Kamsvaag Berntsen

CARL JOHAN OSCAR ANDREASSEN was born 15 June 1853, Christening 07 Aug 1853 at Vor Frelsers kirke (today Domkirken) (Domkirken Mini 14 1850-1857 8/20 p.223 no.223)Address: Lille Graensen, Christiania (Oslo). Parents, carpenter Andreas Johnsen Westbye and Karen Oline Christensdatter.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Pearl Danroth

Hi GeirThat is very interesting! This seems to be the same boy I found in the LDSS records - same christening date.The father's name (Andreas Johnsen Westbye) is right and his occupation (carpenter) is also right, but the mother's name is Karen not Marthe?? In all other records, her name has been Marthe. Is it safe to say there was a mistake in the mother's first name in the christening record for Carl?What do the experts think?Were the parents ages listed? Andreas (b. 1817) was about 36 and his wife Marthe was about 24 (her age was 23½ in January 1853).Were there any Godparents listed? If so, then I could check those names with the Godparents listed for Carl's sisters, Nicoline and Hilda, or the witnesses at Andreas and Marthe's wedding.Thank you for taking the time to look this up. Pearl

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kenneth Holter

Just a thought:When Carl is mentioned in the 1865 census, he is listed as Carl Andreas Westby, and it has been assumed that Andreas is a second given name. But it seems like it's supposed to be Carl Andreas(sen) Westby, his middle name has been abbreviated.Thus, the Andrew Johnson I found could at least not be Carl.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Pearl Danroth

Dear Kenneth - I did check the Andrew Johnson travelling back to the US in 1900 in the Ellis Island records. Andrew was going to Buffalo, New York and my fellow should have been going to South Dakota.This last fellow, Carl Johan Oscar Vestby, must surely be the same person as the one Geir found in the Christening records. I still don't know if this is my 'Charlie' or not. I have to figure out where La Crosse is......Thanks, Pearl

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Pearl Danroth

There is a place called La Crosse in Wisconsin, USA. Carl Johan Oscar Vestby could still be the right fellow. He had 27 years to move to Bossko, SD; however, I am no closer to knowing for sure if he is the right person. If there was more information in the Christening records, such as ages or birth dates for the parents or names of witnesses - that might help.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

First about Carl's mother, her name might have been written Maren as well as Karen at Carl's Christening. No further information about the parents. The witnesses are: the parents, Andreas Yggslös (this name is probably wrong) and the unmarried girl B. Ammundsdatter. That's all. Hilda Amalie Marie, born 2 June 1860, Christening 27 Jan 1861, parents carpenter Andreas Westby and wife Marthe Oline Christiansdatter, address Rødfyllgaden 29, Christiania. Witnesses: Joh. Haagensen, the parents and Sofie ..... (Oslo Domkirke Mini 15 8/20 p.212 no.11). (Maren, Karen or Marthe, these are the same parents.) The final 'proof' of that should be the Confirmation of CARL JOHAN OSCAR VESTBY, 19 Apr 1868 at Vor Frelsers kirke (Oslo Domkirke Mini 15 18/20 no.40), address: Rødfyldgade 29, Christiania, parents Carpenter Andreas Johnsen Vestby and wife Karen (without doubt written Karen here) Oline Christiansdatter. Actually, I'm not quite sure what kind of proof you are looking for ? Would it help to find Carl's grandparents and why ?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Pearl Danroth

I do know Carl's paternal grandparents; they were Jon (John) Amundsen Borge and Malene Andersdatter Westbye from Eker, Buskerud. I don't have any information on Marthe Oline's parents - just that her father's name was Christian and she was from Rygge, Østfold at the time of her marriage. I don't have any info on Jon Amundsen - just born ca. 1786 in Ekers, but the name B. Ammunsdatter as a witness looks promising - maybe Jon's sister.I think you just found the proof I was looking for. Carl's confirmation records show the family living at Rødfylgaden 29 which is the right address for my family. In the 1865 census, Carl was 'stesøn' living with his Uncle Christian Johnsen (his father's brother) and wife Karen - at Rødfylgaden 29; also living there was his Uncle Anders Johnsen Vestby who was the owner of the house.Info on Carl's parents - Marthe Oline died Feb 1, 1864, and at the time of the 1865 census Andreas was in prison. So I am wondering......does Carl's 1868 confirmation records indicated that his mother was deceased and who Carl was living with - his father or his uncle?Thank you ever so much for all your help. I just couldn't make a connection between Karen and Marthe. It just seemed like too big of a difference! Now I am satisfied, Carl Johan Oscar is my 'Charlie'!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Wife Marthe Oline Christiansdatter, age 30-40 (!), address Rødfyldgade 29, died Feb 01 1864, buried 09 Feb 1864 at Vor Frelsers kirke. Consumption was the cause of death. (Domkirken Mini 25 1847-1867 15/18 p.818 no.20)Marriage Jan 31 1853, bachelor and carpenter Andreas Johnsen and Marthe Oline Christensdatter. His age 35 1/2, hers 23 1/2. She is born in Rygge and her father's name is just written Christian from a sub-farm. (His father quite rightly John Amundsen, from Eger (Eker/Eiker)). Witnesses Captain Fyrand and Captain Bjørn Ellingsen. No indication military or captain at sea. (Oslo Domkirke Mini 20 1848-1865 7/17 p.175 no.31)I did not find her mother's Christening (or Confirmation)in Rygge 1827-1833, but I'll have a look in Moss, it was not unusual that they had the ceremony there. And not knowing her father's name, she was probably born outside marriage.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

No luck in Rygge, Raade or Moss. I'm more and more convinced that we won't find her born in Rygge, it could be that Rygge was mistaken for Røgen (in Buskerud, not very far from Eger/Eker) - not likely, but a possibility. I only have the parish records for Røgen/Røken (today Røyken) starting about 1860, so I'm unable to give a qualified answer.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kenneth Holter

Could be the one baptisted November 1st, 1829 in Vaaler, which is just nearby Rygge. Marthe Oline, daughter of Christen Knudsen & Helle Hansdatter.This information is from Familysearch.com, but it should be right. Wirth a check-out? ;D

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Pearl Danroth

Thank you Kenneth and Geir,I thought I had come to a dead end with the search for Marthe Oline's parents, but it sure looks to me like you have found the right people in Vaaler in Familysearch.Thanks Geir for posting the Death/Burial record for Marthe Oline. I had her death date but not the burial date. It's always nice to have as much info as possible.Many thanks, Pearl

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I've found this MARTE OLINE, daughter of Christen Knudsen and Helle Hansdatter. But I doubt if she's the right one. Her parents were married. Her confirmation in 1845 (in Våler) shows that she was well aware of her father's name. I don't have any better suggestion, but we have a long way to go to connect her to the wedding in 1853. (It's not my intention to be negative, but so far I'm doubtfull)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Pearl Danroth

Geir, I won't jump to conclusions about who Oline's parents were. It might not be a dead end, but I don't know which way to turn to look for more information.I'm just very happy to have found all the new information on Carl Johan Oscar, his christening, confirmation and emigration records. That's more than I had hoped for....thanks, Pearl

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.