Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#8351] Vaccination - 1820?

Gjest Pearl Danroth
 Del

Gjest Pearl Danroth

I am wondering what kind of vaccinations took place around 1820? From Church Records of Eiker: Baptism nr. 110 in Haug Kirke - 1817 Born 3rd Oct. Andreas - Bapt. 26th of Oct……….. After the parent’s and godparent’s names was the following information: “Vaccinated 6th of August 1820 af Edv. Andersen”.Can anyone tell me what the vaccination was for and what “af Edv. Andersen” has to do with this? I am interested in knowing why vaccinations were recorded in church records and if other medical information was also recorded in church records?? Thanks, Pearl

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Heidi Lyshol

Smallpox. Really lethal and quite common disease at one time - and the first of all vaccines. Now completely erradicated, world-wide.Edvard Andersen probably performed the innoculation - introducing pus from cow pox into a very small cut or with a needle, thereby giving a very mild form of cow pox, protecting against smallpox.As far as I remember, vaccination was a special project, much supported by the authorities, like potato growing (!!!), also supported and recorded by the clergy, as they were public servants and paid by the State to take care of many aspects of their parishoners' lives.Some clergymen made copious notes, but most didn't write more than they had to, has been my experience, so you probably won't find other medical records apart from an occasional 'born blind' or 'died of broken neck after falling off the roof in drunkenness'.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.