Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#8816] My Grandfather's Emigration

Gjest Patricia Carlsen Mikkelsen
 Del

Finally, I have news of my grandfather's emigration to America! Adolf Anderson (f. August Olai Adolf Andersen, 6 April 1884 i Bergen) arrived in New York Harbor on March 13, 1903 on the ship 'Umbria'. This ship departed Liverpool, England on March 3, 1903. He would have been 18 y.o. at the time. I assume he was a member of the ship's crew. But I still don't have any information about when or from what port he left Norway. Does anyone have access to information about ships? Did the Umbria originally sail from Norway? I would appreciate any assistance in figuring this out.Hilsen, Patricia

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Laila N. Christiansen

Hi Patricia! Have you found him at Ellis Island? If he was a member of the ships crew, he would also be listed there. I did not find him though. What is your source of his arriving in US? And, if he was a member of that ships crew, he is not listed in the emigrant-protocols from Norway. (Usually that is) Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thank you Per and Laila for your responses. I searched the Ellis Island website last night without success. To answer your question, I got this information from his naturalization papers, which I finally located at the archives in Philadelphia.At the Ellis Island website, I found a ship named the Umbria that arrived in New York on 9 March 1903, four days before the date shown on my grandfather's papers (but close enough that it had to be the right one, I think). I read through all the pages of the ship's manifest, but could find no evidence of him. Are you sure that crew members had to go through the Ellis Island facility? Another source says they may not.If the Umbria (owned by Cunard) did not sail from Norway, I wonder how he got to Liverpool? Is it likely he signed on another Cunard ship from Norway to Liverpool? I am so frustrated that there is no sign of him in the seaman's rolls for Norway or in the Emigrant files.I appreciate any advice or assistance.Hilsen, Patricia

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Laila N. Christiansen

Hi! Usually the crew list also was delivered at Ellis Island. It should also show changes in the crew, desertants, discharged and so forth.Have you found him in the 1900-census in Norway? He might have used another name... Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Thanks Laila for checking. I did see a list of about 5-6 seamen from Stavanger on the manifest for the Umbria (page 39). I don't know if they were crew or not though. And none of the names were even close to my grandfather's. As for him using another name... this is a bit puzzling. I know he was born August Olai Adolf Andersen, according to his family bible. But when he came to America, he dropped all the names except Adolf. People called him 'Gus', which I assume is short for August. So, I don't know why he would have taken Adolf as his only given name. That and his life in Norway after 1891 (the last census where I can find him) are puzzles I may never solve, I'm afraid.If you have any other suggestions, I would welcome your assistance.Hilsen, Patricia

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.