Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#8948] Translation Please

Gjest Ralph Peterson
 Del

Gjest Ralph Peterson

I need help in translating the following I found listed in the 1875 census under Yrke. 'gaardskarl hos grosserer Bjørnstad'. Thank You Ralph Peterson

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jan Oldervoll

I do not think Ingrid is quite correct. Gard had, and has, a doble meaning in Norwegian. Useually it means a farm. But it may also mean a house in a town, in most cases a house with more than one appartment or some kind of economic activity. A 'gaardskarl hos grosserer Bjørnstad' probably means a servant working for the merchant in the house(s) were he had his economic activity (not as a domistic servant).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ingrid Gillesøy

It was good that Jan informed about the different meanings! I did not hit upon that! But of course, the merchants as usual lives in the town - I wondered slightly about it ;-) Now you can be sure, that you have got the right translation.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.