Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#9446] Ancestry Enquiry

Gjest John Tillotson
 Del

Gjest John Tillotson

I have been told that my ancester - namely Tillotson came from Norway about 1850 and was a seamen. His father was said to be a farmer in Norway, Philip Tillotson born about 1815. My initial research indicates that Tillotson is not a Norwegian name. Any information would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jan Oldervoll

Philip Tillotson is certainly not a Norwegian name. But the problem is that when people are moving from one language area to another they very often change name, particulurly when moving from a small area to a larger one, like it is when moving from Norway to England. Andersen becomes Anderson, Høyland Highland etc. But it is very difficult to see what name could be changed into Tillotson.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Terje Hatvik

If I may - 'Tillot' is certainly not norwegian. In this I most certainly do agree with Mr. Oldervoll.However; I would like to add that 'Tillot' (or perhaps rather 'Tillof'?) could be also be an estranged anglosaxon deviation/variation of the norwegian name 'Tollef', a name normally spelled and/or written 'Torleif' in common Norwegian.Thus; Philip Tillotson could have been an norwegian sailor/seaman originally named/christianed 'Filip Tollefson' - and, furthermore, stranger adaptions of norwegian names into english have indeed occurred before.I would like to emphasize that this is however not even a theory, it merely a indicates a suggestion; and/or (maybe) a helpful hint.Regards, Terje

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest N B Macdonald

Perhaps even more far-fetched...The 1801 census has several boys named Tille. Any of these could have become the father of 'Philip Tillotson born about 1815'?Nina Beth

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Astrid Ryen

If you go to the LDS (Family Search) you will find that there are loads of Tillotsons listed under the UK, many of them as far back the 16th century. Having taken a quick look at the first 200, I had the impression that the majority once lived in Yorkshire.I do not mean to claim that your ancestor did not come from Norway, on the contrary, if you have been told so, there may be some truth in it. But whatever his second name was in Norway, he may have changed it into Tillotson to make it look more like a name that already existed in England.Astrid Ryen

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Laila N. Christiansen

Hi! What was your Tillotson's given name, and where in US did he settle? Also, did he live in 1900? Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ketil Harbek

On FamilySearch, searching for Tillotson + Norway, I find one James Martin Tillotson (b. abt. 1815) married 20 June 1830 in Horten, Vestfold, Norway, to Ann Cutts (b. abt. 1819). Maybe someone in this forum can find some more information about that marriage. His first name is not Philip (are you certain about that name?), but at least this is a connection between Norway and Tillotson at the actual time. Besides - he is said to be a 'seaman', and Horten at that time was the main naval base of Norway. (From her name, neither the bride in this marriage seems to be a Norwegian, so why it took place in Horten remains a mystery so far.)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Knut Bryn

I'm afraid Ketil's hit of James Martin Tillotson is a kind of a bug. The record is submitted by Charles R. Barnett, and you will find that he has reported James' and Ann's birth to be in Grassy Creek, Granville Co, - and so is the birth of their daughter Rosa Alice in 1841. I suppose the submitter has got Horten as place of marriage for someone else in his database and had a slip of his fingers.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest John Tillotson

First my apologies for lack of Norwegian language and many thanks to those replying so helpfully to my enquiry 9446 regarding the Tillotson family name.I have done more research on the internet on your wonderful archive system which has yielded more information relevent to some of your remarks.My parents did tell me many years ago that the Tillotson name originated from Norway. I must accept this although there is no documentary evidence from UK records (Birth,marriage or death).My parents are now long deceased so cannot be questioned.Your census information suggests a likely surname could be TOLLEFSEN which may have been changed to Tillotson, a known english surname, when this ancestor Isaac, a seaman and son of Philip came to England and married in 1862. My reading of your 1801 census details suggests that both the names Isaac and Philip were used in Norway at that time.Thanks again for your interest and assistance - best wishes. John Tillotson

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Knut Bryn

If you will go further with the 'Tollefsen hypothesis', you should also take 'Tollisen' and 'Tøllevsen' into account. I have an other suggestion, however. It is a little awkward, but perhaps possible:The family legend tells us that the Norwegian sailor was called Isaac and that his fathers' name was Philip. If this is right, I think Isaac would have brought with him to England a birth certificate (or perhaps a vaccination certificate) with this name: Isaac Philipsen or perhaps written like this: Isaac Phillopsen. Can this have been changed to Isaac Thillotsen in England? The reason for this confusion may have been a misreading of the handwritten certificate, a choice by Isaac or a later misunderstanding.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.