Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#9800] Fotograf 'Tostrup & Petters' (?) i staten Washington?

Gjest Nina Møller Nordby
 Del

Gjest Nina Møller Nordby

Trenger hjelp til både å tids-/stedsbestemme et bilde. Trolig...tatt i staten Washington. Mulig i Kings County, og isåfall I Vincent. Tipper ett eller annet sted mellom 1910 og 1920.Bildet jeg har er stemplet med 'Tostrup & Petters' eller noe som ligner. Vel..løser noen denne nøtta?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nina Møller Nordby

Hi Dale! Great! I have two old photos, one of them with a print/mark of the photographer 'Tostrup & Petters' (I'm not quite sure about the spelling). Maybe, just maybe, it could be from the period 1910 - 1920 .....The photo shows a few people, some horses and an ancient car. They are all standing in front of a building called 'The Butter Store & Backlin's Grocery'. The name Backlin is what I'm looking for. Two swedish brothers emigrated through Kristiania in 1909 and headed for Washington. Johan Oskar Backelin and Carl Viktor Backelin, both born in Skee parish, Bohuslän. Johan Oskar 14/2-1889 and Carl Viktor 21/10-1886. He's probably the same Carl who died in Washington december 1965. I guess that he's the same Carl Viktor Backlin who's listed in Vincent, Kings County, Washington in the 1920 census too.At some stage Johan Oskar went back home, got married to Amalia Mathilda Johansdotter, and had two girls, Anna Margareta and Rut Linnea, in 1919 and 1920. Then he's gone again. I guess and hope that he went back to Washington, maybe in Vincent, Kings County?(Johan was a carpenter)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Dale Tuvey

I have not heard of a city or town in King County called 'Vincent.' There may have been a crossroads or a small settlement in the 1910's or 20's that was known locally as Vincent and that area may even be informally or locally known as that today, but it would be very small and only called that by residents living in the immediate area. I have lived in King County all my life and have never heard of an area by that name. That's certainly not to say that it doesn't or didn't exist, only that it is now very small and/or extinct or only a local name only known to a few people.I will do some looking in the Seattle library. They have some old telephone books and city directories that may be of some help. I'll let you know what I find. Are you looking for anything in particular? Is there anything else in the census information you have that would help identify where Vincent was in King County?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nina Møller Nordby

No,I have no more information about the brothers. Maybe Vincent was an area and mentioned in the census just to make it easier to identify where they lived.I wonder about that store.........

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Lars Johannessen

Dale (and Nina): Found a site on the net that tells that Vincent was a small farming community located on the western side of the Snoqualmie Valley near (or today in?)Carnation. You will find it here: http://www.historylink.org/ Search for Carnation or Vincent.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nina Møller Nordby

I remember the place Carnation. As far as I remember two places were mentioned in the Census:Washington; Kings County; Carnation and Vincent (districts?)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest N B Macdonald

Hello Dale, Nina and Lars, I, too, grew up in King County and never heard of Vincent. But everyone's heard of Carnation, the dairy with the milk from contented cows! It is directly west of Bellevue which is directly west of Seattle. According to Lars' link, Vincent is/was less than one Norwegian mile north of Carnation, presumably on the road to Duvall. Thanks for that terrific link, Lars. I'm wondering if there may be a misprint in someone's version of the census. I've seen before reference to 'Kings Co.' Washington and there is no such thing. It is King County. The old Vincent Schoolhouse building at8010 W. Snoqualmie Valley Road NE,Carnation, Washington, USA,is still used by the Vincent Community Club for social and community events, according to the page linked to by Lars. One might write to them and ask about the photographer and/or The Butter Store? Good luck!Nina Beth

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nina Møller Nordby

Thanks, a great idea!! Someone told me that Carl was listed as a boarder in the 1920 census. Maybe he just passed through that area?? If he moved further on may I find a note in the churchbook?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Carla Brining

There is a BACKLIN, A.L., b. 1861, d. 1942 and BACKLIN, Anna F., b. 1885, d. 1969 listed in the Carnation Cemetary. LenkeProbably not the Backlin you are looking for but might be the owners of the Backlin's Grocery Carla

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Laila N. Normann

Hi Nina! I found in the 1920 census, Washington, King, Seattle, Precinct 49, Market st., census taken 9th day of January 1920, enumerator Amanda Olsen.Backlin, August L, head, owner of his home, 58 yrs old, married, immigrated 1890, Pa, (papers for naturalisation sent), born in Sweden, both parents swedish, occupation Grocer, retailHis wife: Backlin, Anna, 39 yrs old, immigrated in 1905, born in Sweden, both parents swedes, occupation Housekeeping, private family.Also this Backlin lived in Washington State: Backlin, Elias View Image Online Age: 28 Year: 1920 Birthplace: Sweden Roll: T625_1923 Race: White Page: 2A State: Washington ED: 86 County: Grays Harbor Image: 573 Township: HoquiamI dont find any Tostrup's, some Tostrude. Surely your Backlin grocery in Market street? Laila in the sun...

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Laila N. Normann

Another thing, could this August L. Backlin the grocer be the boys father? I saw that August Laurentius Johansen (Skogman) was born in 1861. Ok, the father was a taylor when he married and also when the boys were born..... Why did the boys take the name Backlin? Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nina Møller Nordby

Someone told me that the boys mother was of Backelin family. Since I'm moving I've no papers of any sort.I know there were a lot of other Backlin's from other places in Sweden too. Maybe the boys just were passing the Backlins Grocery, and took a photo of themselves in fron of the shop ..................

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest N B Macdonald

Hi,First a correction to my previous message. Bellevue is EAST of Seattle and Carnation is EAST of Bellevue. Sorry.Market Street in Seattle is nowhere near Vincent or Carnation. Market Street is the main street through the Scandinavian part of Seattle, known as Ballard. As late as 30-40 years ago, you heard about as much of the nordic languages as of English on the street and in the post office; maybe you still do?Hoquiam is indeed west of Seattle and a bit south, way out on the west coast (Pacific Ocean) but within the excellent harbor Grays Harbor.--Nina Beth

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Laila N. Christiansen

Hi Nina! I think you should put out the info you got on Norway-List here.It turned out as I assumed, August L. must be the two Backlin-brothers father.Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nina Möller Nordby

I'm going to check the 'husforhörslängd' in Skee parish, it might lead me to the date when August L. emigrated. And the book of dead too, I guess that his first (?)wife died in Skee.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Laila N. Christiansen

Hi again, Nina! I did not find Alma's death in Skee records. She might have emigrated with August L., and died in US. I don't have my Emigranten-cd here in Sunshine State, and I could not find him emigrating from Oslo (well, I just made a quick search, you might want to do a closer search, I searched for Back* or Skogman, he might have used Johanson?)I did not find August L. died in Skee either....Exciting! Tell the results!!! Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Carla Brining

Hi There is an entry in the Ellis Island database August L. Bakkelin Age 36 date of arrival Oct 9 1897, Single, Residence Sweden. Ship St. Louis. Carla

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nina Möller Nordby

I'm soooooooo confused.They came from a small village called Hjälmstad, and the farm was BACKELID!! In 1885 August and his wife Alma bought Backelid from Augusts parents, and they were called Backelin in the papers. It seems like they owned the farm until 1910.They were also listed in 'husforhörslängden' in 1891. This counting stopped in 1895 so I don't know what happened, well I do ........... sure ..... they emigrated. Maybe Alma died in Washington somewhere between 1891 and 1897. Who took care of the boys when August went back to Sweden?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Carla Brining

Hi On the Ellis Island record it said destination Chicago (maybe lived there and then moved on to Washington) and that he had been in the US 5 years earlier. Possiblity that he was widowed before he left and the boys were taken care of by Grandparents or siblings or Alma died in US in 1892 and he moved back to Sweden. Are there any census records you can check to see if they remained in Sweden? Variations in spelling are pretty common I also had found a record for a Backlin (or some variation on the spelling) who was going to visit his brother August in Washington but of course I can't find it now. Carla

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nina Möller Nordby

I'm not quite sure that he had a brother named Backelin, it's more likely to be Skogman if he had one.Strange again! I don't have my emigrat CD right now, but I wonder if they could be listed there. August L. BaKKElin was listed as a sailor so he should be possible to find in the Emi-hamn database.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Nina Möller Nordby

Is it possible to find any obits for August L. Backlind (died 1969)and his 2.wife Anna? They are both burried in the carnation Cenetary.I think that August's obit. will solve 'my problems'.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Dale Tuvey

I am still on the trail of an obituary for August and/or Anna Backlin. I will be going to a library in the area where they lived tonight to see what I can find. I talked today to a woman, Isabel Jones, who is the head of the local (Carnation) historical society who knows August and Anna's grandson, John Backlin. He still lives in the area as do two of his sisters and some children as well. Ms. Jones went to school with August and Anna's son Ernest (John's father), but he is now dead too.Ms. Jones said that by about 1923 or so August and Anna lived on a hog farm in Vincent. They must have moved from the Ballard area of Seattle sometime between 1920 and 1923. She didn't remember much about August except that he had a big mustache.John's telephone number if you want to call him is 425-222-7007. He obviously would know much about his parents and any living relatives. I'll still go to the library to see what information I can get and send to you just because my curiosity is aroused, though you can probably get much more information from John. If you can't reach him or need something more let me know. Hope this helps.Best Wishes

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Dale Tuvey

I went to the library tonight but was a bit disappointed with what I found (and didn't find). I did find the obituary for Anna Backlin in the October 9, 1969 edition of the Snoqualmie Valley Record. It was a rather small article that basically just repeated what has already been discovered and posted on this site. It did reference some relatives (a sister and family) of Ms. Backlin who lived in the area, Seattle I believe. I would have made a copy to send to you anyway but the library's printer was broken so I could not do so. If I am in the area again in the not too distant future I will stop in again, but the library is rather far from my home and I don't know when I will be there again. The library is in North Bend, Washington.I was not able to find anything about August Backlin or his death. According to Social Security and cemetary records he died in 1942. I did find some minor references to him with no details specificaly about him in February and May of 1942 so he was alive at least that long. I didn't find anything at all after the May reference though I checked twice. I went three months into 1943 as well but found nothing there and gave up. PS I forgot to mention in my earlier post that Ms. Jones told me this morning that the Backlin farm was right next to the famous Carnation Farms dairy that N B Mcdonald referenced in his post. Indeed everyone around Seattle does know Carnation Farms. Perhaps John still lives there, though I believe he is in the construction business. Happy Hunting!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.