Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#9906] translation please, of 9786, about Chicago and Amalie Jensen

Gjest Roger Thauland
 Del

Gjest Roger Thauland

Could someone translate Marianne's query into English? Perhaps i could do some research while at my LDS center. I wonder how sure she is about that Sommero--perhaps its really Sorensen? anyhow, looking at some film will clarify. Thank you, Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Anne Arnesen

Hi Roger. Here's the information: Marianne's greatgrandmother was Amalie Jensen (maidenname)born. 7.8.1846 in Larvik and she left for Chicago 29.6.1883 with the ship Angelo from Kristiania. Amalie had at that time been widow for a year. Her married name was Larsen. She left behind 5 children and she was never heared from again. In 1905 there was a participation of inheritance after the parents of Amalie in Larvik. Marianne has found the parcipitation papers stating Amalie Jensen to live at this address: V. Ohio Str.232 Chicago. The papers also mentioned that she was married to a 'Sommero'. There is an Amalie Jensen who died. 25.7.1917(Cert. 6023208)in Cook county -is this the right Amalie? Marianne is interesting in sorting out wether Amalie had/still has any descendants left in Chicago or not, and she's looking for help. Anne

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kathy Bergan Schmidt

There are a Thos. Sommero and a Pat. Somero listed at the same address in the Chicago Voter Registration from 1888-92 listed on Ancestry.com so that may indeed be a valid surname to search under. If available at Roger's LDS (as they are at the Arlington Heights Public Library), the Chicago City Directory for 1905 and directories for a few years before and after 1905 may provide some information -- there is at least possible surnames and a definite address to start with.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Laila N. Christiansen

After a closer look at the Chicago Voters Index, I am almost 100% sure it says Thos. SommerS, not Sommero. The transcriber wrote Sommero, but....One strange thing though, in the emigrant-list, she states that she was married, not a widow. She also lied about her age, should have been 37, not 40. People usually made themselves younger, not older.... maybe she wanted it to be difficult to find her.The Thos. Sommero/Sommers in the Voters index was a us-native by the way.Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Laila is right that the Voter Registration is for SommerS. And Sommers or Summers is a very common name in the Illinois Marriage and Death Indices, so there's no help there if that was indeed Amalie's married name. From what is known, it does look like checking out the Chicago City directories is the next best thing to do. If no one beats me to it, I'll check them out in Arlington Heights Monday or Tuesday.But about that age difference. My grandmother was 17 but listed as 19 when she immigrated in 1888. However, the voyage must have been very rejuvenating because when she married my grandfather in 1906 she claimed to be four years younger than she actually was. . .

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Marianne Innes Hansen

Hallo.Takk til alle som vill hjelpe meg ang. Amalie. Det var kjempe flott at du Anne oversatt innlegge mitt til Roger.prøver å skrive på engelsk. I`m sure that Amalie was married Sommero. I now this from a paper after Amalie`s parents dead. But I havent find here married in Porsgrunn/Telemark with Sommero and I cant find the name Sommero left from Kristiania ( Oslo) at the same time as Amalie.I have heard that Sommero worked fore Amalie`s husbond. I hope that I can find more about here and here life in Chicago. One of Amalie`s daugther my great great grandmother Karen was onely 7 years old and here brother was onely 2 when there mother left them. They never heard from there mother again. I`m grateful for all information.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Terje Hatvik

Without adding to the confusion, hopefully clarifying instead - isn't the norwegian surname [assuming that the individual in question is of norwegian origin / heritage] 'Sommero' somehow related to the district of Nordmøre (i.e. in the County of Møre and Romsdal)??I am specifically thinking about the norwegian composer Mr. Henning Sommero from Nordmøre, now approximately 50 years of age. He's presumably totally unknown to most americans, but a couple of bells should now be ringing for at least some of my fellow norwegians.And the district of Nordmøre (situated in northwestern Norway) includes the city of Kristiansund which with its good harbour and rich fisheries, apart from providing an outcome for many sailors and fishermen also was the home of many immigrants.Don't know whether or not this could be a valuable clue, a helpful hint or just another wild shot in the dark. Just thought I should mention it, though.Regards, Terje

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Thanks everyone; i am away from home this week, so Kathy will beat me to it, good luck to her. Perhaps i will call Henning this weekend, he is 'on the web'. I've asked for a few obit lu's --perhaps by the end of next week i'll have some insight from those. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Amalie is proving to be hard to find. I did check out Chicago City Directories for a number of years and for all the possible spelling variations I could think of – Sommero, Summero, Somero, Sumero, Somer, Sommer, Sommer, Somers, Sommers, Sumers, Somers. I never found a Sommero. The only possible connection I found was John Sommers, machinist, h 233 W Ohio, in the years 1903, 1904, and 1905. There was no 1906 Directory. I did not find him in 1907 or 1910. That address is close enough to Amalie's of 232 Ohio from the 1905 probate records from Norway to suggest that maybe this John was the husband or son (or other male relative) of Amalie.I also looked at directories from 1884, 1886, and 1890. While there was an occasional John Sommers, there was no obvious address or connection to Amalie. Women are not often mentioned in the earlier directories. In the ones from after 1900, it is women who have some sort of job or profession that are usually listed, such as hairdresser, teacher, bookkeeper. And in the case of my own dressmaker grandmother, I have found that she is listed about every other year rather than yearly.I also looked at some Chicago sources available at our local LDS Family History Center. Again, I looked under all those spelling variations I mentioned before. I looked at the Cook County, Illinois, Death Index 1871-1916 on microfiche and did not find Amalie. I looked at the Pedersen Funeral Home Records from 1899 through August 1913 (LDS microfilm number 1672185) and did not find Amalie. The Pedersen Funeral Home was one of the funeral homes used by the Norwegians in Chicago – but not by Amalie before August 1913. The next film of Pedersen records is number 1672191 but my eyes had had enough microfilm for the day and they wanted to close at their usual time.I checked Ancestry.com for a John Sommers but did not find any likely prospects from their census indexes. However, those indexes are only for the head of a household so they wouldn't give John if he is not considered to be the head of the household in 1900 or 1910. There are 2 books in English about the Norwegian community in Chicago that can give you some idea about what living there was like for Amalie. The earliest is The History of Norwegians in Illinois published by Strand about 1905 or 1907. And A Century of Urban Life by Odd Lovoll was published about 1990. It deals with Norwegians in Chicago until 1930. I'm sure you can find copies of these books somewhere in Norway.There are ways to search the 1900 and/or 1910 census records that may turn up Amalie, but they are time-consuming, to say the least. She was from Telemark – perhaps a query through the Telelag would lead to some information?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

To KathyThank you so very mutch trying to help me find Amalie. Maybe I should try something else.Amalie had 2 sister and 1 brother in Amerika, maybe they had some family ho now anything about Amalie. All I now about them is there adr.Nicoline m. Jørgen Johansen adr. 1624-10 Ave West, Seattle, Wachington. Johan Anton he take the last name Johnson adr. 1525-10 Ave West Seattle, Washington. Anna m. Axel johnsen adr. National Mine, Michigan. I don`t now how dificult it is to find them.You write 19.7, that there was a Thos and Pat Sommero living at the same adr. as Amalie. I wonder if the adr. V. Ohio street is still there?., and maybe I can take a change to write to this adr. and hope that the people who is living there now no something about Amalie.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Pat and Thos did not lie in Ohio street, if I remember right, they lived in Union street. 'Same adress' was referret to as Pat and Thos. lived at the same adress. I will take a look at the other names during the weekend. (When I get home to Norway) Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Chicago has changed street names and its method of numbering along those streets since 1905, so trying to find who lives or what business is at 232 W. Ohio now won't help. Checking out those relatives on the west coast will probably be a more likely way to find something out.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest N B Macdonald

I did live in Seattle MANY years ago, but admittedly not pre-WWI. ~:o)Trying to visualize where those 10th Avenue West addresses might have been. I remember when all the 'West' avenues were changed to either 'Southwest' or 'Northwest'. I'm not that familiar with Seattle south of downtown. If 'Northwest' I should think that that would be near the railroad, near Interbay, near Seattle Pacific College and near Salmon Bay ('Laksevåg') where even in my childhood most of the fishing boats had Norwegian names.Perhaps a query on Rootsweb (Norway), GenForum (Norway) or GenWeb (King County, Washington State), would find you someone who knows of these people?Good luck!--Beth

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hei Marianne! Er dette Amalies søster når hun reiser tro? Gift med skibsfører og har 2 barn i 1902 Lenke skulle til Washington.ja, ser på FT1900 at dette stemmer.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Jeg lurer meg på....I 1920-census for Washington, King, Seattle, finner jeg følgende familie:Anna Johnson, head, owner of home, 60 år, married f. i Norge av norske foreldre. Immigrerte i 1891.Albert Jens Johnson, sønn, 24 år, single, f. i MICHIGAN av svensk far og norsk mor. Salesman.Ralph Johansen, son-in-law, 32 år, gift, f. i Norge av Norske foreldre, immigrerte i 1903,Hannah Johansen, daugther (altså Anna Johnsons datter), 26 år, gift, f. i Michigan av svensk far og Norsk morRalph Albert Johansen, grandson (altså Anna J.s barnebarn) 6 år, f. i Washington av norsk far og mor f.i Michigan Ingaborg Johansen, granddaughter, 3 år og 11mnd. f. i Washington av norsk far og mor f.i Michigan Hva tror du?`Og,jeg tror faktisk at Ralph og Hannah er fetter og kusine, altså at Ralph er Rolf som emigrerte med sin mor 1902, selvom alderen er 3 år feil.... lurer på hvor Axel er...¨Lurer på hvor Jørgen og Nicoline er..... lete lete...

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hei Laila.Tusen hjertelig takk for opplysningene. De stemmer sikkert. Jeg har letet en del selv, men ikke funnet så mye. Jeg har ikke klart å funnet når eller hvor Axel er.Men jeg har funnet noen opplysninger om Jørgen og Nicoline, de var på besøk i Norge med sønnen Jørg 11 aug.1910. Jørg f. 1897. Jørgen f. 1855 var sjømann.Har ikke klart å funnet deres emigrasjon.En annen ting hvor leter du etter opplysninger og må du betale for de på nette?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hei! Stort sett alle de databasene jeg bruker er slike du må betale for. Bl.a. har du Ancestry.com og Genealogy.comEllis Island fortalte forresten at når Jørgen, Nicoline og Jørg. reiste tilbake til USA, skulle de til sin sønn Rolf JOhansen i Seattle, WA, men det står også Pleasant Valley, 34 W Avenue. Nærmeste pårørende hjemme var broren Carl Johansen.Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Just realized that I switched this discussion to Norwegian, and we have english-speaking folks here!Did you say you did not find Nicoline and Jørgens first emigration? If you 'click' on my 'klikk' in the entry made 30.07 09:19 you will see their emigration. Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

To answer the question about the 7/25/17 Amalie-she was born dec 23, 1857, in Norway, no location or parents listed, reported by son James A. Jensen. ..Does this birthday match? I looked up several forms of Amalie's -- Jensens and various Som's...no matchs..the Amalie Jensen who married Peter Sorensen in 1891 was 24 years old. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Marianne I.Hansen

Roger.Amalie was born 7-8-1846 in Larvik, Vestfold. Parents, Antoni Jensen b. 1818/20 in Larvik, d. 12-1-1904 and Inger Andrea Nilsdtr.in Nevlunghavn, vestfold b. 1820 d. 30-9-1905 . Amalie married Jacob Larsen, Porsgrunn, Telemark, 10-11-1871, he was b. 1846 d. 1882. They had 5 children. 1. my great grandmother Karen b. 21-5-1876. 2. Ludvig Alfred b. 30-4-1872. 3. Henriette b. 21-3-1878. 4. Jane b. 23-12-1879 d. 5-3-1880. 5. Jacob b. 13-8-1881

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Marianne I.Hansen

Roger.Amalie`s brother and sister. 1. Karen dca. 1890 m. Otter Thorsen in Christiania (Oslo). 2. Nicoline b. 1850 m. Jørgen Johansen , adr. 1624-10 Ave West, Seattle Wach. 3. Johan Anton Johnson (Jensen)b. 1854, 1525-10 Ave West Seattle, Wach. 4. Jacobine b. 1857 m. Carl Andersen, Jegborggt.24 Larvik. 5. Anna (Anne Julie) b. 1859 m. Axel Johsen, National Mine, Michigan. Skifteforhandlingsprotokoll nr.8 Larvik town, s. 323. I don`t now if you have no us fore this.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Marianne, the adresses in US you have for Amalie's siblings, when did they live there? What date was on the 'skifteforhandlingsprotokoll' (probate record) Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Marianne I. Hansen

LailaSkriver dette på norsk da det er lettere for meg. Boet etter Antoni og Inger Andrea er det nevnt at 4 barn bodde i Amerika. Boet ble tatt under skiftebehandling. Dødsanmeldelseprotokoll nr.5 for Larvik by, fol. 10b nr.88, fol 22a nr.95. Det var et skifte 6-11-1905, men det var også et skifte 20-10-1905 og da bodde 4 av barna i Amerika Det er det jeg vet.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Marianne I. Hansen

I found something out to day. I got a hous sale paper in my mailbox to day from 'Notar', there was a house fore sale call Sommerro, and the please is near where Amalie lived in Porsgrunn. So monday morning I will call local authoity to try to find out more ho had own the plase before.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Marianne I.Hansen

I wonder if Sommero can be Sommerour in USA? I find 3 people in 'Norway Roots' with that name in IL but ut was onely adr. and phone nr.there

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.