Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#9906] translation please, of 9786, about Chicago and Amalie Jensen

Gjest Roger Thauland
 Del

Gjest Marianne Hansen

HeiFound something about Johan/John Summers.I don`t now if this is the same man.Johan Petter Jorgensen birth 8 mar.1831 in Porsgrunn, Telemark. Father Jorgen Pedersen mother Dorthea Tollesdtr.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 3 uker senere...
Gjest Kathy Bergan Schmidt

Hello, Marianne I haven't had time to do the next thing I can think of -- check the 1900 US Census records. Since Amalie was probably in Chicago I would have to check the Soundex (that's the index) for Illinois first. The census records themselves are available nearby but the Soundex is only available at the Newberry and Chicago Public Library in the city or at the National Archives branch just southwest of Chicago. For me it's just as easy to go to Madison, Wisconsin, and use the Soundex and census films at the Wisconsin State Historical Society. But a free day to do that and visit my relatives up there just hasn't been available.If the soundex doesn't help or I can't get to it soon enough, the other way to check the census is to locate the films with the Norwegian areas of Chicago on them and just go through them until the right Amalie shows up. That Lovoll book, some internet sites, and maps they have at Arlington Heights would help figure out what 'enumeration districts' to check. This is just going to take more time. . .

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

I have been working the Hans Karl/Carl Hansen approach. It seems he died of TB, age 39, 2 feb 1898 and is buried in Mt. Olive. But the cemetery is now owned by Alderwoods group, and has a very Mexican staff! They do lookup sites, but are very poor at finding old records which are vital. Thats because the death notice in the paper was only that and not a proper obit. And the death certificate in 1898 did not ask for parents names and the spouse area is completely blank, so i cannot be sure if this is the right Hans.(in Ill 14 years, undertaker=AT Lindberg-out of business i think). On the other hand, all other possible Hans did have obits and none were the 'right' one. So this is how she might have married yet again. Since the Illinois marriage index for Cook actually ends with May 1894 data i have to search many reels of film trying to find her. I have to look at the indexes for Blessings(to help a Siri) so i will do both at the same time. (Anybody else? ..hehehe) (anybody have Blessings from Bergen?) (did NOT make this up!)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

A thought(hmmm..) , well if anybody knows of this Hans Karl Hansen, perhaps from a farm book, that would help. and.. if anyone has access to the Univ of Oslo Library--there is film of the newspaper Skandinaven(the one pub. in Chicago!) and could do a obit lookup for him (and i have others!!) that would be helpful. The paper is written in Dano-Norwegian, Fraktur type, i am not sure the obits are all in one place, and it was a weekly. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Marianne Hansen

Kathy and Roger.Thank you very mutch for helping me. I have try to find more information about Amalie, but no luck. If you find somethink you can tell me, but I think this is impossibel.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Hi Marianne, i am very cross right now, big trouble with my isp and now even DA(this site) is messed up, i will try to continue in the next few minutes. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Well, that did post, so i'll try again--i have been busy with trying to find info on Hans, perhaps too much so; and with other research. Too soon to give up, i still am working the male indexes.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Continuing--found Carl J. Sommer, married june 27, 1899, c294093, on 1030298; and John Somers, married may 19, 1900, c308970, on 1030310, but the cert was missing from the film! (a bunch of uff da's this weekend!) so i must find the match on the female film, when found(hopefully), then i search the death indexes and then try for obits...little by little and bit by bit... Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I was able to spend 2 hours with the 1900 census index (and then locate the actual census image online) and I think I found Amalie. The family listed at 322 Chicago Avenue included: John Sommers, born January 1862, 38 years old, married for 9/12's of a year. (Census taken 14 June 1900) born in Norway, both parents born in Norway, immigrated 1886, been in US 14 years, was naturalized, occupation machinist, months not employed 3, renter.Amelia, his wife, born May 1852, 48 years old, married for 9/12's of a year, born in Norway, both parents born in Norway, same year and length of time in US as given for John.Sommers, Arthur, son, born April 1890, 10 years old, born in Illinois, mother and father born in Norway, at school.Sommers, Gabriel, boarder, born October 1864, 35 years old, unclear if he was widowed or married, born in Norway, parents born in Norway, immigrated in 1882, been in US 18 years, occupation grocery clerk, months not employed 0.This census asked 'mother of how many children' and 'number of these children living'. For Amelia, there is something written over the first answers given and I can't figure out what the answers are supposed to be. But it seems to indicate that she was the mother of more than one child.And given that John and Amelia were married less than one year, perhaps she was married to Hans Karl Hansen before John and this Arthur is really the son of Hans. So, until proven otherwise, I'd look for him as either Arthur Sommers or Arthur Hansen/son.Just to make things more interesting, another family living at that same address is the family of Peter and Bell Hanson, Norwegians, with their 2 daughters and 1 son who were born in Illinois.This census information can be found under Illinois, Cook County, Chicago, Enumeration district 513, sheet 23B (Ancestry.com online image 45)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Nice Kathy(the spoilsport,hehe) and just as i was getting so close! I'am not quite sure what to make of the 9/12's, but the female index will make the date clear. I suspose we will all look at rootweb for Arthur.. so good work, Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Marianne Hansen

Kathy.Thank you so much. I don`t now how to realy thank you.I should look fore more information in Norway about John and Hans Karl one of this days.but yesterday I got a very sad news, a close friend of me died of heartattack she was onely 29 years old.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Laila N. Christiansen

Marianne, I am so sorry for your loss! It is always terrible when those things happens!Kathy, you have done a great job here! I looked at the census images, and, I agree with you , this must be Mariannes relatives.Maybe Gabriel could be a clue to find that family in Norway, since the name was rather uncommon on this side of the 'pond'!!Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Marianne, i'am sorry for your loss. After i pin down the marriage i can look at cert's for the birth of Arthur, if not found, then i can look at the birth registers, his birth date will help identify, and will show the spellings of names, including any 'middle' names. Gabriel(yours?) died 6 july 1926, Kankakee Township in Kankakee county. I asked the local PL for an obit lookup. He is the only Gabriel Sommers on the Illinois list. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Hi- Marianne, well no Arthur in the birth lists, his church must be found in order to obtain the details--unless he can be found in further census data or mentioned in an obit. I used Kathy's info about the 9/12's and searched the female index, found that Amalia purchased her own(Mrs Amelia Hansen) license, c301543, Nov 27, 1899 on 1030304. I ordered that film. I also ordered film for some possible John's. Perhaps someone will find the family in the 1910/20 and 30 census(next year), if not pinned down before then. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Hi Marianne–I was able to find Amalie/Amelia in the 1910 census. At 529 Central Avenue in Chicago, there was John Sommers, 41, emigrated from Norway 1882, naturalized citizen, this was his second marriage, had been married 12 years, was a carpenter, rents his home.Wife Amelia, 54, emigrated 1884, second marriage (maybe she was only counting the ones in the US!!) married 12 years, mother of 7 children, 7 or 4 (writing unclear) children living.Son Arthur, 21, born in Illinois of Norwegian parents, teamster.Boarder Gabriel Sommers, 49, emigrated from Norway 1882, naturalized citizen, divorced, grocerBoarder Charles Emmanuelson, 24, single, emigrated from Norway 1906, alien (not a citizen), carpenter.So, who are Arthur’s parents? Is he the son of Amalie and Hans Hansen, or the son of John Sommers and his first wife? And Gabriel Sommers has been a boarder with the family in both 1900 and 1910 – I think he must be a relative of John’s in some way. A cousin perhaps? They usually indicate if brothers are living in the same household.I think that a notation on the census record indicates that Amalie was the one giving the information.This information is from the 1910 US Census, Illinois, Cook County, Chicago enumeration district 794, image 23 on Ancestry.com.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Marianne Hansen

Hi Kathy. Thanks fore all information. I have search all over inernett and everything els. I havent find no person with name John, Arthur and Gabriel Sommers in Norway.But on Family search I found a John Sommers born 1 jan.1862 Dudley, Stafford, England. Died? la. married 29apr.1882 in England, Deborah Layton. They had a son Arthur Sommers born 1891 Marion, Linn, la. they had 8 children.John parents, Phillp Sommers b.1836 England and Mary ann Butcher. Maybe John`s wife died and he married Amalie What do you think?.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Marianne Hansen

In IIIinois marriage index 1763-1900 I found Gabriel Sommers married 26-12-1891 Cook, Lizzie simonson. and I found Gabriel Sommers dead 6-7-1926 in Kankakee. But I can`t find enything more about them.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

HI Marianne, I think that the information about Gabriel Sommers is something I should try to find more about. But I think that the 'John Sommers' from England is not the right guy. Both the 1900 and 1910 census say that Amalie's husband was from Norway and had norwegian parents. Oftentimes you can't trust the age given and length of residence of in the US, but a person's country of origin is usually accurate.Also, they were living in Norwegian neighborhoods in Chicago. John and Gabriel probably changed their name from what they were known as in Norway to something that sounded more 'American.' John was probably Johan but that is too common a name to trace. And there's even quite a few Gabriels in the emigrant databases. We probably need to find some other clues from information in the US to figure out where they might be from. The question is, where to find that information?I'll try looking at the city directories from 1910 and up now that there is a 1910 address to work with. And when I get someplace with the soundex for the 1920 census, I'll look for John, Amelia, Arthur, and Gabriel again.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...
Gjest Roger Thauland

So far no luck finding John or Arthur on film, but there is still more to search. The film with the marriage info came in---it is a Torgersen marriage(good news-i will ask for a lookup at ELCA) John Summer(poor handwriting), age 38; on Dec 12, 1899 married Mrs. Amelia Hansen, age 48. Knowing that age it seems the 1900 census age is ok, but 41 should be 48 in the 1910 census. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Marianne I. Hansen

Hi Kathy and Roger.Thanks fore all help.There is meny Sommer in Norway, but now one has the name John or Gabriel. I wonder if they had a other last name in Norway?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Following up on the family of (44) and (45) might help, any luck doing that Marianne? No luck finding an obit for Gabriel. I have ordered film of his death cert. On his marr cert i find Gabriel J. Sommers, age 29 and Lizzie Simonsen, age 21. A Torgersen marr, i've asked ELCA for a lookup. I can look for Arthur in the marr index thru 1916 or so, perhaps next week. Does the middle initial help anyone? Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Marianne I. Hansen

Hi Roger.I dont`t now if you have seen my answer of the family to Hans carl Hansen on the nr. 10174, date 24-8-2002. The Family immigrate to Chicago from Gjerpen, Telemark 1883. I think this family(Amalie) is where difficult to find and I am wery greatful to you and Kathy fore all help. But I don`t want you to field that you have to find this family fore me. In Skien, Telemark, was a family named Sommer, but John, Gabriel is not a part of this family. So they are difficault to find.I think I should try to find out if somebody here in telemark has something on Hans Carl Hansen and his parets.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...
Gjest Roger Thauland

Some news: Gabriel turned out to be a 89 year old black man..but ..wait..the news gets better! The mail from ELCA(Joel/archives) brought the info that John is from Trondhjem...so your guy is none other than(out on a limb am i?) Johan Sommervold, #18565 and #70349 on 'Emigrants from Trondheim'. meldt? Tried to find Gab in Stavanger and Bergan, no luck. He is from Stavanger, maybe you will look at the other ports? And for those with access to the 1920 Federal census, look for Arthur Hansen, Illinois, Cook, age 30, only 1, and its him we believe.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.