Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#9944] Hans S. Olsen

Gjest Douglas Camp Chaffey
 Del

My great grandfather, Hans S. Olsen, was born according to oral family history in Oslo. His date of birth was October 3, 1847. In the late 1860s he emigrated to the United States, settling in Wisconsin, where he married my great grandmother, Anna Christine Olsen. I have used the resources of this very useful website to try to 'find' this Hans S. Olsen in either the 'emigrant' search device, or in the 1865 Census which includes Oslo. The only Hans Olsen, born in 1847 in Christiania, with a middle name beginning with S., is Hans Oluf Sigwardt Olsen, a saddle maker's apprentice living with the family of Hans Jacob Thueseng, an Oslo saddle maker.Can anyone tell me where I might go from here? Is there a birth registry at that early date? I would appreciate any help on this matter.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest N B Macdonald

Hello Douglas,I can't help you specifically. As you have seen, there are very helpful people on this forum, and many are very, very clever! Could you possibly help them out with some more information?Be aware that ages on the Census can be quite approximate and that middle names often did not get included. If he did indeed emigrate late 60s, one should find him here in 1865 . . . but there were thousands named Hans (Johannes) Olsen (Olesen, Olson) on both sides of the Atlantic.Oral history 'born in Oslo' can be incorrect without anyone having fibbed. When asked where you are from, a long way from home, you often name the nearest city which people might have heard of. Is there any more oral history about Hans, for example what he did for a living in Wisc.?You seem quite sure of the birth date. Might it help to tell where you got that. Do you know if he emigrated alone - or with family members? Have you the names of any siblings? If not, perhaps he gave his children traditional family names? Around the turn of the century (pre-WWI, that is) Norwegian communities in the Midwest often published detailed histories, some in Norwegian, some in English - any chance of finding him in one of these?Not to suggest that your quest is impossible, but some more info may be necessary.Good luck!--Beth

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Beth - thanks for your kind reply. I will set out what I know about my great grandfather,beyond what is in my first posting, in the hope that it may ring a bell with someone. He married my great grandmother, Anna Christine Olsen (who was from Tromso, and whose family I have been able to find there) in Vernon or LaCrosse County, Wisconsin. Their children: Edward (1875), Cora Blanche (1879- my grandmother), Emma (1881), Andrew Frank (1882), and Agnes (1892). In the 1880 census, they are living in North LaCrosse, and he is a carpenter.Emma married Alex Ristow, and remained in Wisconsin. The rest of the family moved to Bonner, Montana, just prior to 1900, where he worked for the railroad.And on Aug. 25 of 1900, Hans S.Olsen (Olson by then) was run over by a train in Missoula. And his grave marker, in Missoula Cemetery, has the birth date October 3, 1847, on it (unusual in my genealogical experience). Given his early and sudden demise, little is known about his origins or family, other than what I set out in my first message.I am all too aware how many Hans Olsens are to be found in or around Oslo - I found two of approximately the right age just in Hannested, Akershus. But I am still hoping that this story will ring a bell with someone, or that the specific birthdate will lead to some official record to which one of you wonderful people has access. Take care!

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 4 uker senere...

Roger: Thanks for your message, but I don't quite follow it. I don't know who Jane Peterschmidt is, and when I access Rootsweb relative to Ristows, I can't seem to find what it is you have in mind. Could you tell me more?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Look for Alex* Ristow, see the one with the LaCrosse reference? Click on the email link--but, of course the address may be stale..Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.