Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#9962] Thorbjorn Halvorsen/Halverson son of Harald Thorbjornsen

Gjest Susan Halverson
 Del

Gjest Susan Halverson

I am looking for information on my great-grandfather Thorbjorn Halvorsen (born May 9, 1853)who married Aaste Olsdatter (born June 10, 1852). I don't know where He is from but his wife came from Hitterdal, Telemark. I think it was the farm Lia. they had thre children in Norway before going to the U.S.A. Halvor(M June 15, 1878), Tony (F May 1881)and Ole (M Sept. 15, 1882) I believe born in Hitterdal. Enga,Johnes, Anna, Thomas Albert, Gilbert Vernon,Henry Selmer all born in the US. Migration 1883. Aaste was the daughter of Ole Haraldsen and Thone Oldsdatter. There was a sister named Solvei Olsdatter(o with /) 1865 census shows they lived on Lia farm. If anyone has any information I would be so greatful. There has to be family in Norway who would like to know where they lived. I will be going to Minnesota soon and take pictues of any thing that is there. Thank You Susan

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ove Haugrud

I have searched in FT 1865 for Telemark and found only one 'suspect'. It is very likely that the man you are searching for is from the farm Dalen in Hjertdal, Telemark.Thorbjørn Halvorsen, 13 years old (fits with born in 1853). Sister Anne Halvorsdatter, 17 years old. Father Halvor Thorbjørnsen, 51 years old Mother Ingeborg Grimarsdatter,54 years old.We can not be absolutely sure that this is the right family, but Hjertdal is not very far away from Hiterdal.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Susan Halverson

I think you may have found the right family. I just realized that I gave the wrong first name for Thorbjorn father. His name was Halvor. I wonder if I look in that area if I can find a birth record. To find a marriage record I would have to look in the Hitterdal area, am I right? People usually got married in the parish of the girls family and named children after their grandparents and aunts and uncles. Correct me if I am not understanding correctly. I do want to thank you for you help it means so much to me to find what I can since my father is now 80 years old.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest N B Macdonald

Have you found Thorbjørn 'Halvorsdatter' [sic!] at LDS' (the Mormons) FamilySearch.org? They have Birth: 09 May 1853 Christening: 16 May 1853 Place: Hjartdal, Telemark, Norway Father: Halvor THORBJORNSEN Mother: Ingeborg GRIMARSDR Source: Hjartdal; Den Norske KirkeAnd also from church records, the marriage: Halvor THORBJORNSEN Sex: M (!) Spouse: Ingeborg GRIMARSDR Marriage: 21 Mar 1840 Sauland, Telemark, NorwayAnd another marriage: Torbjorn HALVORSEN Sex: Birth: 1853 Father: Halvor TORBJORNSEN Spouse: Aaste OLSDR Marriage: 16 May 1877 Heddal, Telemark, Norway Source: Heddal; Den Norske Kirke(Do you suppose they got married in that gorgeous stave church in Heddal?!)Good luck, --Beth

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest N B Macdonald

Well, the 'g' hangs for some reason. Click on the link, add the g to end of the URL, Enter, and you'll see the church. :-)

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Susan Halverson

Wow, The Church is wonderful. It sure would be fun to find out. I can't believe I am still up. It is 2:43 in the morning hear now and it is so quiet. I can't believe I got a print of the church, Thank You. I saw it once in a cyndislist site. There were painted pictures of Norway and translated clippings about the area and everything but I couldn't get my printer to print.I have been studying maps all evening and didn't realize it was so late but I located the places that The Halvorson family came from and the place the Brendmos came from. So today has been very prosperuse(sp) for me. Your an angel, Thank You my e-mail is armandocvera@cs.com incase anything ever knocks me off the forum. Lord willing that won't happen. goodnight!!!!! I'll sleep dreaming of what the weddings must have been like.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Susan Halverson

Is there any way that I can find out if there were any other siblings in the families of Thorbjorn and Aaste? There doesn't seem to be an earlier census available. I was thinking like 1855 or something.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Susan Halverson

I just want to say Thank You to Ove Haugrud of Verdal and N B Macdonald of Bergen for the help you gave me in my search. I looks as though you both found my Great-grandfather Thorbjorn Halvorsen. I didn't have any idea of where to look before.If you read this N B Macdonald Thank you for the picture of the church. Do you know the name of the gorgeous stave church in Heddal? What parish is it in? I'd like to check and see if it is the one my family got married in.Thanks again Susan Halverson

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ole Bjørn Darrud

According to Hjartdalsoga vol. II p 567 Torbjørn Halvorson was born on the sub-farm Dalen under Uppistugu/Fosse. Torbjørn and his father were both registered as lumberers in 1875. This place should be able to see even today as people lived here as late as 50 years ago. A picture of the place is shown in Hjartdalsoga.According to the same book p 152 Torbjørn's mother Ingebjørg Grimarsdtr was the daughter of Grimar Olson Øverbø/Boshaug (1771-1839) and Margit Olsdtr.Regards Ole Bjørn

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Susan Halverson

Thank you so much. This book you speak of; is it something that is in a library or can a person find it on a website?I would enjoy seeing pictures so much of that area. I have tried to find something but am probably looking in the wrong place.Susan

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Ole Bjørn Darrud

'Hjartdalsoga, Gard og Ætt' consists of 4 volumes.I TuddalII SaulandIII A Hjartdal og NordbygdaIII B Hjartdal og GvammenAll volumes have Gjertrud Kleveland Karlsrud as author and Hjartdal kommune as publisher.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Susan Halverson

Again I Thank You.I have e-mailed the Family History Center in Salt Lake City to see if they have a copy of these vol's.I hope they have it at least on microfilm if not a book.This is exciting. Thanks Susan

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Susan Halverson

I have found a Torbjorn Halvorson Baugrtud of Heddal Telemark 1708. I am looking to find out if My grandfather Torbjorn is a decendant of his.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Arnstein Rønning

To finish this for my part: Having looked up in 'bygdebooks' for Hitterdal and Hjartdal; Ingebjørg Grimarsdtr was born in Grimar's 1. marriage, and was the daughter of Ingebjørg Olsdtr (1778-1814) - not Margit Olsdtr.Halvor Torbjørnson Dalen (Fosse/Uppistugu) was the son of Torbjørn Hanson Dalen born ab 1777, died 1825, married 1804 to Ingebjørg Petarsdtr Sudistugu-Lia born 1773/1779, died 1848. She was the daughter of Petar Halvorson b ab 1730, d 1818 and Gunne Gunleiksdaughter b ab 1746, d 1791. Torbjørn Hanson Dalen was the son of Hans Torgrimson (Torbjørnson? - the bygdebook is not sure) Dalen, Fosse/Uppistugu. 'Uppistugu' means the upper farm of Fosse and Dalen is another little sub-farm.I got interested in the subject, just because one of my wife's ancestors was a preast in the church of Hitterdal (Niels Coch).

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Susan Halverson

First of all I would like to thank you for your time. It really is very important to us since the last two living grandchildren of Thorbjorn are in their 80's. They will charish this information. Could I ask one last favor? What is the name of the church you mentioned? Are there any pictures of it anywhere? We are making a family album and trying to include as much of the culture and things that we can for our decendants. I will understand if you chose not to, you have helped us alot. The links you prepared were helpful but for some reason my internet service did not except them so I was able to find some pictures by putting Hjartdal Kommune as a Keyword. The site is very interesting and full of pictures. Is Niels Coch the name of the preast? Susan

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Susan Halverson

Thank you very much for all the help you have given me. I can't begin to tell you how important this all is for my family. We are all very greatful. Susan

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 måneder senere...
 Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.