Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#9970] Andrew (Anders?) Andersen b.8/30/1874 to Brooklyn, NY -1891

Gjest Lynn Andersen
 Del

Gjest Lynn Andersen

I am trying to find anything about my ggrandfather, known in US as Andrew Andersen. I finally found a copy of his Naturalization papers and now know the following: He was born Aug. 30, 1874. He arrived at the Port of NY either the 20th or 26th of August, 1891. The papers don't tell me where he was born or what port he left from. Andrew's witness for Naturalization was Olaf Gunnerius Svendsen Simonstad, christened Mar 12, 1871 Åmli, Aust-Agder. Olaf states that he has known Andrew for 23 years, which would mean they grew up together and therefore, Andrew would more than likely also be from Åmli. As a side note, Olaf married Augusta Pedersen, sister of Andrew's future wife, Anna Pedersen from Holt. I can't find Andrew leaving Norway, and haven't been able to picked up anything in the census. Can anyone help?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Heidi Tofterå Slettemoen

One candidate is Anders Gesinius Andersen b. Aug 30th 1874 in Vestre Moland, Aust-Agder. Parents Anders Andersen and Karen Margrethe Tønnesdtr. Parents married Jan 23rd 1864 in Vestre Moland.Siblings born 1862 to 1875: Grethe Thomine christened Feb 21st 1864, Tønnes Martinius chr. Sep 9th 1866, Gusta Alvilde chr. Aug 1st 1869, Tønnes Helvinius chr. Apr 2nd 1871 (first Tønnes may have died young).Here are the parents at Bjellandsvar farm (subfarm of Bjelland) in 1865-census: LenkeShows Karen born in neighbouring parish Høivåg, Anders in Vestre Moland.Anders may well be the son of Anders Andersen Bjellandsvar and Grethe Pernille Gammelsdtr. also at Bjellandsvar in the 1865-census. Maybe the widow Helene Marie, that Karen and Anders are living with is his mother`s sister?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Lynn Andersen

Thanks Heidi. Certainly a good candidate, as the birth date is correct.I have also found on the LDS site an Anders Reinhard Andersen, Christened 27 Sept 1874 in Vestre Moland, parents are Anders Olsen and Severine Reinhardine Rasmusdatter. Is the christening date to far from 30 August to be a possibility? I don't know how long families waited to christen their children. I also have been unable to find this family on the 1865 census.One more question - Is Vestre Moland a neighboring town of Åmli?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Lynn Andersen

I found Anders Gesinius Andersen on the LDS site. It says he was Christened on 30 Aug 1874. Would the Birth date and Christening date be the same?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Birth and christening were usually not on the same day, unless the child was very weak. The original churchrecord would tell... Anything from a week to several months was common, depending on how far away the church was, and how often they had a minister in their area. Hmmm. We should keep looking for candiates then, I guess.Åmli and Vestre Moland are not too far apart.Anders Reinhard Andersens family are in the town of Lillesand in the 1865-census, see link: Lenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

That Olaf Gunnerius Svendsen Simonstad says he has know Anders for 23 years, may mean that they grew up together, or it could mean that they were cousins...This is an interesting family in the 1865-census for Simonstad farm in Åmli: Lenke

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

No Anders Andersen christened in Åmli in 1871.Found an Anders Andersen, son of Anders Olsen and Karen Johanne Andersdtr. christened in Holt in 1871 (no date).Hopefully someone with churchrecords in the area can jump in and help you here...

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Lynn Andersen

Hi Heidi, did you mean to type 1874?Thanks for the cousin suggestion - I didn't even think about it. I guess when you think about something for so long, you don't see what you may be missing. It helps to talk (or type) it out.I have the Holt bygdebok vol.1, so I can look in there, if I knew where to look! I don't really understand Norwegian, but my ggrandmother's family (Gustavsen) is listed.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Oops! I DID actually search 1871, mix up with Olaf - but no Anders Andersen christened in Åmli in 1874, either.Here`s another 1874-candidate in Aust-Agder:Anders Emil, chr. Dec 20th 1874, Høvåg, parents Anders Andersen and Johanne Jacobsdtr.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Lynn Andersen

Would someone with access to the church records for Vestre Moland please check the birth dates for:Anders Gesinius Andersen, Christened Aug 30th 1874 in Vestre Moland, Aust-Agder. Parents Anders Andersen and Karen Margrethe Tønnesdtr.andAnders Reinhard Andersen, Christened 27 Sept 1874 in Vestre Moland, parents are Anders Olsen and Severine Reinhardine RasmusdatterAnd in Høvåg: Anders Emil, chr. Dec 20th 1874, Høvåg, parents Anders Andersen and Johanne JacobsdtrI'm looking for the birth date of 30 August 1874. Thanks

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.