Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#10081] Opplysninger om Rosalia Larson fra Kristiansund (?), død Chicago 1903.

Gjest Arne-Sten Christiansen
 Del

• 3 uker senere...

Long time since I last was here. I've followed up Roger's information about the Spooner and Kimball. There I find a lot of descendants from my great grandparents Hans and Anne Kristine Larsen. All of them from one of my grandmother's sisters. It can not be any doubt that the family Laila found to me is the one I was looking for. Now I communicate with the husband of my childrens third cousin.I tried once again the 'refdesk@history.pcusa.org' to find information about Jacob Brown who was married to another of my grandmother's siters Hulda (Hilda). They said they had the records from that church, but they could not search for them. I could do it myself or pay someone to do it for me. Maybe I will do that later, but not now. Yes, Roger, Hulda was mentioned. You say that I can order her death cert from the state of Illinois. How?We never got the death cert of Rosalia where there could be name of her parents. But as I have said, the other information I've got should verify that I have found the correct family. And I know more details about vital dates for my grandparents.Thank you all who have helped me with this search, specially Laila, Kathy and Roger. There are more which could be interesting to find out about the family. Now there is another link I will try to follow. One of those I am related to has some information about my great grandmother's ancestors. I will try to find out about that. I will try to use 'Brukerforum' to see if anyone can help me with that.Arne-Sten

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Kathy Bergan Schmidt

Hello, Arne-Sten. The film that should have Rosalia's death certificate on it finally has come in at the Crystal Lake Family History Center and I should be able to get over there to see it by Thursday at the latest. Wish me luck -- Cook County had their own unique way of indexing those records. I'll make a copy if possible -- last time I was there the copy machine was broken. I'll take my digital camera along just in case -- that takes an adequate picture from the microfilm reader.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Hi, Was the date of her passing mentioned? I will wait a bit for Kathys info and i want to consult another index about Hulda's passing, unless you now have that date and place. Its also possible to order from Cook county, they are better at searching, i believe, if that whats needed. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Those I have contact with in US are all in one branch of the family, descendants of my one of my father's aunts. She was the sister of Rosalie and Hulda. They have no information about Rosalie or Hulda. So I'm still interested in all we can find about the family.I repeat that it was because of my father's cousine Ruth's letter that I got in contact with the Kimball family. When I listed the names from the letter, Roger found the genealogy-web for the Kimball and Spooner-family. There I found the name of my grandmother's oldest sister, Josefine Helene Larsen. I take this as an evidence that what Laila found to my is correct.I know that at least 4 of my grandmothers sieblings went to US: Josefine, Rosalie, Hulda and Dorn. It seems that all of them had Chicago as hometown for a longer or shorter period.Now I'm exited about the result of Kathys search.Arne-Sten

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Well, search no more for Hulda, i found her today(tricky because 1913 Cook records have 3 different number series and indexers are forever mixing them up). Born May(?) 27(?)or (29)?, 1862--hard to read. Died 20 Feb 1913. Lived in Chicago 42 years. Was a Larson. Husband is Jacob E. Brown, of 3238 Division, Chicago. Buried Oakridge cemetery, 4301 Roosevelt Road, Hillside, Illinois. Undertaker was Otto Alt. I hope to visit her soon, perhaps tomorrow, while i make my rounds of cemeteries. I will request her obit. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Well, luck wasn't with me. Rosalie's death certificate was not on the microfilm. It is number 2272 and the film had a note inserted (one of many like it, only different numbers) saying 2251 through 2300 were missing. I looked through the film anyway because putting something out of order can sometimes be found in those films -- but not this time.I have had this happen before. I then ordered a copy of what I was looking for from the Cook County Clerk's office and got a copy from them. If you would like, I would be glad to do that for you.However, I did see plenty of death certificates and know what information Rosalie's certificate may tell you. Place of birth is always given as 'Norway' for a Norwegian and for their parents, if the particular form asks for parents' birthplace. It will give their age and will say how long they have lived in Illinois. It will give the date, time, and place of death and of burial. It gives the undertaker. And it gives the cause of death.So let me know if you'd like me to order a copy.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Arne-Sten, you may want to write to the General Manager of Oakridge(zip 60162), perhaps they can connect with kin of a Lillian V. Hammond, died May 1955(born 1888). I believe she is Hulda's daughter. Next to Lillian lies Hulda. Next to Hulda lies Hansina Larson, died Jan 17, 1925. Next to Hansina lies Rosalia! Hulda had 2 children who did not live: Willie, dead 9-1905 and Jacob, dead 12-1903. I will ask for obits and see if the records are on film. Does anyone know about the Hammond's? Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Yes, Kathy if it's not too much job for you, I would like to have a copy.Roger, you have very interesting information here. Hansine was one of Rosalie and Hulda's sisters, born 1870. Were is this grave? Is it still excisting? Can you give me more information on how to make this contact with General Manager of Oakridge. What is it? How to write the adress. I really appriciate the job you are doing for me.Hulda seems to have no descendants living. Maybe some of the other sieblings have. Up til now I just know about Josefine and Rosalie, but they were many from two different marriages. In addition to Rosalie, Hulda and Josephine: Fridthjof, Hansine, Doren (Dorn),Eaugenie, Leopold, Helise, Christine, Agnes and Just. I don't know how many of those who went to/stayed in USA, but I belive some of them must have been in Chicago during the census of 1900 (there was one then, wasn't it?)Arne-Sten

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Please see (56) for the address..they are all together(side by side in the usual way) at Oakridge in a 8 grave lot. Someone MUST own the unused graves in this lot(section 3, lot 379), so write and hope they know and will tell who that is. Only Lillian has a marker(headstone). I think Lillian is Hulda's daughter...when the obit is found we will know about any children she may have had. ...perhaps someone will try to find the others in the 1900 census (Laila(?), Kathy(?),(?). Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I've ordered the copy of Rosalie's death certificate. But it may take a few weeks to get it. You never know when you order from the county how long it will take -- that's one big bureaucratic office down there.The graves still exist. Only a few cemeteries in the United States sell plots for a limited time period. When you buy the plot, you get the lot and 'perpetual care' of it. With the commas showing where the separate lines should be, the address is: Oak Ridge Cemetery, 4301 Roosevelt Road, Hillside IL 60162, USAThere is a 1900 census and looking for your relatives would mean looking at the index for it first. The married women would be listed in the household headed by their husband and under his last name. Only certain libraries have the index, so I don't know when Roger or I can get to that.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Her certificate will provide insights-perhaps the name of a family member who provided info; for census searchs someone needs to be found who lives by an institution with the 'soundex' indexes or has them on cd's or online--Laila: are there such index formats? I have looked thru various indexes for the others and have possible Frithiof, Agnes, Eugenia, Christine, and Leopold. Please post the birth dates for the whole family-that way it will be easier for me. FYI, it is Oakridge(one word) Cemetery. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I think that searching the 1900 census for Chicago means a trip to a library that has the soundex. Genealogy.com says they have an every-name index for 1900 but when I tried it for names I had already found in the 1900 census and have hard copies of, they weren't given to me. The records themselves are online (for a paid subscription, of course) at Ancestry.com but are only 'browsable' -- meaning no index. And I discovered last week that it is easier and quicker to roll through a microfilm than it is to 'browse' the same images on the Internet. . .

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

I should used all my time on this, but that's not possible. Coming week I will be busy. I don't expect that you do all this job for me. Hope that you have som general interest for Norwegians in Chicago.But if you work with this, here are the birtyears I have (no dates)(The years varies a little from one source to another and so do the spellings of the names):Fridthjof Auginius 1864, Hansine 1860, Doren 1869, Eaugenie 1870, Leopold 1872, Helise 1870, Christine 1875, Agnes 1862, Just 1867.We know that their father married an other woman later, but he was married to Anne Kristine in 1872 when some of the family first went to the US. Only Christine is born after this. We see that it seems like Eaugenie and Helise is born the same year. Are they twins og do they have different mothers? Helise, Agnes and Just didn't follow the family to Chicago in 1872????The letter I should write can't be done before next weekend I think.Arne-Sten

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...
Gjest Roger Thauland

Can only be 'finished' upon finding the living! Everyone has more to research. Todays mail brought the obit of Hansina-no mention of a husband or children; does mention Josephine H. Christofersen and Huldah(sic) Brown and Jacob E. The obit of Hulda A. lists the following children: Loraine, Lillie, Grace, Violet and Ray. Everyone get busy! I will look at the birth records, but many were not recorded. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

I might be just about finished, we will see about how much they know of this large family. What am i talking about?....see rootsweb, BROWN surname board, find my name or search for '+hulda +jacob'. What was that about 'no family'? Regards, Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

Hello Arne-Sten, pardon my jokes about interrupting the whale watching, i am having fun tracking these ghosts---i can now relate that Kenneth 'bud' Brown and Ray Brown are the same person. I found Jacob, Violet, Ray, and Hansine Larson living together in the 1920 US Federal census, Jacob was born ca 1870 in Wisc to English born parents. Violet was born early in 1902(film ordered) in Chicago. Ray(aka Kenneth/Bud) was born ca 1906(film ordered). Hansine Larson 'aunt', age 61, born Norway. I also have strong leads for Agnes and Frithiof, but cannot yet be certain, still researching them. Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Exciting with all you have found. I'm looking forward to go more into this again. But I need more time than I can spend now.Arne-Sten

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Jeannie Kamenir

Aren-Stein: I HAVE FOUND YOU! Thanks to RogerThauland in Lindenhurst who lives about five miles from me. AREN-STEIN: WE ARE DEFINITELY RELATED! KENNTH (A/K/A RAY) BROWN IS MY GRANDFATHER. All I know is that Kenneth Brown married my grandmother, Cora Wait. Kenneth's parents were Jacob Brown and Hulda Larsen (Hook). Jacob Brown was a Cicago cop and was married twice. Kenneth had three sisters (all deceased); My Greant-Aunt Violet, Lorraine, Lillian & Violet. Since I was born, i was told I have Norwegeian blood in me. There is also a mention of Dr. Labeau in our family, and a John Northrup who is a lawyer. They might be parents of the above. I don't know..I was told that Kenneth's father died in a fire in Milwaukee. It gets even more confusing: I heard things about Adda Horn and Eva Mortenson. Don't knopw if that is familiar to you. I remember my mom....(Kenneth's daugher, Arlene Leska (Brown) telling me about Aunts Violet, Grace, Lorrain & Lillian)..especially Aunt Violet. Please respond. LOV AND KISSES FOREVER, I HOPE YOU CAN READ THIS. I WILL SEND YOU PICTURES. I HAVE BLONDE HAIR..GO FIGURE. Luv your cuz or whatever, Jeannie. I loved in Gurnee, Illinois in the United States. Kenneth and Cora are buried together not far from here. I get the Norweigen side of me from my grandfather, Kenneth, of whom I know nothing about. I only remember him as a little kid. He was also the State Fire Marshall for the State of Illinois in the 50s.. PLEASE REPLY, LUV JEANNIE

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Laila N. Christiansen

WOW! Congratultions Arne-Sten and Jeannie for finding each other! ANother great job from Kathy and Roger!!!Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...

Sorry I'm late to respond Jeaninne. Your mother and I must be second cousins. My three boys will be your third cousins. All other names than Hulda and Jacob is unknown to me. As you probably understand Hulda was grandmothers sister. As you must have seen in here, they had a lot of sieblings. Some of them have decendants in your country. The one I now know best is Josefine Hellene. If you haven't already seen, you must look at www.aritek.com/hartgen/htm/kimball.htm about our relatives on here branch.Arne-Sten

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Roger Thauland

From the notice of Lillian V. Hammond, pub May 21, 1955, nee Brown, wife of Glenn F., sister of Lorraine Cookman, Grace LeBeau Thornton(2 marr,it seems), Violet Northrup,(brother of) Kenneth Brown. Kenneth(82) passed Dec 26, 1988, Margate, FL. Retired Deputy State Fire Marshall of Ill, wife Theresa(#2, i think), son Gerald, Daughters Shirley Washburn and Arlene Leska and many grand-children and great-grandchildren, step-dau Dolores Loy/FL and Carlene Danish/AZ. No luck with any others, Roger.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

• 2 uker senere...

Hello, Arne-Sten. Rosalia's death certificate arrived in the mail today. It just says that she was Norwegian, it does not give any information about her parents or her husband.It is different from the other Chicago certificates I have gotten. It is from the Office of the Coroner and says an inquest was held. Cause of death is given.Please send me your postal address so I can snail-mail the certificate to you. You can send it to my e-mail address bergan.schmidt@tellenar.com.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.