Gå til innhold
Arkivverket

[#10184] Translation/Location

Gjest Pearl Danroth
 Del

Gjest Pearl Danroth

Hello, I need a translation for the following occupations found in the 1900 Census for Oslo: Kjøkkenbetjent and Visergut (Manufaktur). I believe the first has to do with a kitchen and the second is an errand boy of some kind. I would also like to know in what part of Norway the following (birth)places would be found: Næss paa Ø. Romerige and Ø. Thoten.Thanks Pearl

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Adele Goa

Kjøkkenbetjent = kitchen servant. Visergut (Manufaktur) = Errand boy [dry goods, textiles]. Both of these with the help of Haugen's Norwegian English Dictionary.Næss paa Ø. Romerige is, I think, present day Nes i Østre Romerike, in the county of Akerhus. If that is incorrect I hope someone will correct it. On the 1900 Census in county of Akerhus there is Næs Rom and again I think that is the same place.Ø. Thoten is Østre Toten in the county of Oppland. On the 1900 Census it is Østre Totens.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Gjest Laila N. Christiansen

Hi Pearl! The only thing to add to Adeles' translation, Ø. Romerige is Øvre Romerike, 'upper' or 'north' part of Romerike, in Akershus.Laila

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Del

• Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig Informasjon

Arkivverket bruker cookies (informasjonskapsler) på sine nettsider for å levere en bedre tjeneste. De brukes til bl.a. skjemaoppdateringer og innlogging. Bruk siden som normalt, eller lukk informasjonsboksen for å akseptere bruk av cookies.